• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Expectations for Season 2015-16

I think we will finish 5th or 6th in the league. Unless Man United have a shocker(possible) then I don't think there is any chance that we will break into the top 4. It will be between us and Liverpool for 5th as there is not a lot between us and them.

If we can sign another goal machine - one possibly two players who are capable of producing some magic around the box and scoring 15 goals a season - then we might do something. Its a big if. But otherwise I fear Kane and Eriksen will be spread too thin for us to win anything.

One more reason we need a break out season from Lamela. Regardless of how many strikers we bring in. Come on Erik, bring it home, son.

If we can sign another goal machine - one possibly two players who are capable of producing some magic around the box and scoring 15 goals a season - then we might do something. Its a big if. But otherwise I fear Kane and Eriksen will be spread too thin for us to win anything.

Me too. We have 3 players who score regularly, defences will focus on stopping Kane so it's up the likes of Lamela and the rest to support him.

I want to see progression, starting with being much harder to score against. We shouldn't be struggling to keep the goal difference in positive numbers.
The core of the team is developing, hopefully this will continue and a strong backbone added.
I think 5th is the best finish we can hope for, given the sums being spent by the top 4 and the difficulty in preparing for league games around EL games.
An FA cup win would be amazing, just showing the competition some respect this season would be a start.

Great points, 5th is an achievement with the spend we are competing against.

What I do think people are missing in all the usual Spurs fan negativity is - - We are a better team starting this season than last by some distance

- We didn't start last season with a functioning 30 goal a season striker
- We have 3 players who got into double figures last season
- We have also invested significantly in our biggest weakness (defense)
- Our FB situation is much improved (expectations re Rose, Trippier option, Walker fit)
- Our young players, Eriksen, Kane, Dier, Bentaleb, Mason, Rose all have another season of experience
- We have kept our best players - Lloris, Kane, Eriksen, Bentaleb
- We have gotten rid of a ton of deadwood, including most of those that rumour would have you believe are not good for dressing room
- Team is much closer to a Poch team, with a year of understanding his system.

Yes, it's hard to compete against the fiscal doping, yes we still have a couple of obvious areas that we need to address in the window, however for the first time in a long time, we have some consistency coming off a good last season result (5th place, Cup final)

Great points, 5th is an achievement with the spend we are competing against.

What I do think people are missing in all the usual Spurs fan negativity is - - We are a better team starting this season than last by some distance

- We didn't start last season with a functioning 30 goal a season striker
- We have 3 players who got into double figures last season
- We have also invested significantly in our biggest weakness (defense)
- Our FB situation is much improved (expectations re Rose, Trippier option, Walker fit)
- Our young players, Eriksen, Kane, Dier, Bentaleb, Mason, Rose all have another season of experience
- We have kept our best players - Lloris, Kane, Eriksen, Bentaleb
- We have gotten rid of a ton of deadwood, including most of those that rumour would have you believe are not good for dressing room
- Team is much closer to a Poch team, with a year of understanding his system.

Yes, it's hard to compete against the fiscal doping, yes we still have a couple of obvious areas that we need to address in the window, however for the first time in a long time, we have some consistency coming off a good last season result (5th place, Cup final)

I would agree with most of that except I do not think the defense was our biggest weakness, they carried the can for the inability of our CM to give them any protection and unless we sort that problem out our new defense will have the same problems.

As for the rest of your post I agree 100%.

I would agree with most of that except I do not think the defense was our biggest weakness, they carried the can for the inability of our CM to give them any protection and unless we sort that problem out our new defense will have the same problems.

As for the rest of your post I agree 100%.

I agree

I think it was a overall shape in terms of the defence, with half the issue being the protection give by 3 behind kane providing cover to the full backs / tracking runners.

All too many times players were pulled out of position covering for others. Mason and Bentaleb can cover in front of the defence, but they cannot cover all the runners if the front 3 don't track runners from deep.

Too simple IMO to say we need a DM and the problem is solved. If that DM is out on the Right Wing covering then it makes no difference.

Fifth in the league, semi finals of the F A cup, early stage knock out of league cup and quarters of EL.
Defence to solidify as season goes on.
Midfielders to up the goal threat and Harry to score 18-22.
Player of the season to be bentaleb.

Still think next year is the year for focusing on.

I think pre season has been pretty awful, not many competitive games, then 2 a few days before the season starts. Going into the season with one striker, which is so absurd it makes me ache, and a terrifyingly weak central midfield.

Saying that, I'm confident we'll get who we need in and have a great season. Top 4 and a cup!

Looking on the bright side, we should have settled players this season. More so than if we were starting with a new CM, new CF etc. Maybe Dembele and Mason can keep things tight in midfield. Chadli and Lamela should be fully up for making their mark on the PL. They both could have big seasons. If so, we would be in decent shape. Albeit with little cover. Lets stay under the radar and see who we can surprise.

Last edited:
Challenge for fourth, one good cup run.

Continue to develop our game, particularly against "smaller" teams that are happy with a draw against us. Better defending as a unit.

Bentaleb to become a target for Real, Barca and/or Bayern. (Ok, this one is slightly tongue in cheek).

I agree

I think it was a overall shape in terms of the defence, with half the issue being the protection give by 3 behind kane providing cover to the full backs / tracking runners.

All too many times players were pulled out of position covering for others. Mason and Bentaleb can cover in front of the defence, but they cannot cover all the runners if the front 3 don't track runners from deep.

Too simple IMO to say we need a DM and the problem is solved. If that DM is out on the Right Wing covering then it makes no difference.

That's been my argument for a while

The best sides defend from the front and if we can master that a it more we will get more points for sure

Challenge for fourth, one good cup run.

Continue to develop our game, particularly against "smaller" teams that are happy with a draw against us. Better defending as a unit.

Bentaleb to become a target for Real, Barca and/or Bayern. (Ok, this one is slightly tongue in cheek).
This.

I said it in an earlier post: the scum finish ahead of us every year, not because they beat us in the NLDs, or because they win all the derbys, but because they consistently beat the teams below them. If we can do the same and not lose to the Villas and Fulhams and West Broms at home, top 4 might not be such a pipe dream.

A lot of ifs for me...

If Lamela finds his Roma-form...
If Kane can replicate most of his form from last year...
If Toby and Jan can click again and help patch up our leaks...
If Soldado stays and finds a fraction of his Valencia-form...
If our younglings take another step forward...

I can see us maybe breaking into the top 4.

But many many ifs...

With the season just about to start I figured i should get my arse back on here. My expectations are a little lower than of previous seasons. This is mainly due to the fact that the teams I consider our biggest rivals, Ar5ena1 and Pool, have strengthened A LOT but we haven't. We haven't improved enough, a class striker and a DM are needed desperately to have any chance of Top 4. So right now, my expectations are 6th place (hurts to be lower than Pool) a good run in ONE of the domestic cups and a dismal showing in the Europa League.

It will take a bigger genius than Levy to accomplish that. Owen is so dull he'll never say anything remotely controversial and it's not like they'll find anyone better (that's a diss on BT, Owen is turd).
Just don't get what your beef is with Owen. For me he is one of the few commies I don't feel the need to mute. Contrary to your bolded assertion he says it exactly like it is and quite often comes up with shrewd/telling insights. Also he was effusive about Harry Kane way before most pundits, so that alone gives him enough browny points to be going on with.

I agree the rest of BT sport is mostly brick.

Just don't get what your beef is with Owen. For me he is one of the few commies I don't feel the need to mute. Contrary to your bolded assertion he says it exactly like it is and quite often comes up with shrewd/telling insights. Also he was effusive about Harry Kane way before most pundits, so that alone gives him enough browny points to be going on with.

I agree the rest of BT sport is mostly ****.

:eek:

He has not said a single word of significance yet. It's just him and Ian Darke asking each other rhetorical questions.

"He'll be happy with that won't he?"

"Good shot that wasn't it?"

"He'd expect to do better there wouldn't he?"

:eek:

He has not said a single word of significance yet. It's just him and Ian Darke asking each other rhetorical questions.

"He'll be happy with that won't he?"

"Good shot that wasn't it?"

"He'd expect to do better there wouldn't he?"

Okay let's just agree to disagree shall we? Meanwhile I'll continue enjoying one of the few perceptive and intelligent pundits out there, and one who genuinely seems to have a soft spot for Tottenham.

Back