• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Europa League 2012-13 - QF: Basel (SUI)

Re: Europa League 2012-13 - Panathinaikos, Lazio, Maribor

I think it's really important we make a good start in the group. A win against Lazio might mean less pressure against Maribor and hopefully we'll have qualified by the last game, meaning we can play a team of kids, keeping the first XI fresh for Everton away, which is always tough. So I think a strong XI is needed, but some rotation of course.

My XI for Lazio at home would be:

-----------------------------Lloris-------------------------------
Naughton----------Dawson-------------Vertonghen-----------BAE
-----------------------------Sandro-----------------------------
---------------Huddlestone----------Carroll-----------------------
Lennon-------------------------------------------------Townsend
----------------------------Dempsey-----------------------------

Bench:
Cudicini/Gomes/Archer (depending who is at the club)
Gallas
Walker
Parker
Dembele
Defoe
Adebayor

Daniel won't have enjoyed the home tie v Lazio coming out as the first one and having to be included in the ST package.

On an earlier note, I take it the article referred to in the quotes below has been significantly watered down, as I can't see any specific reference to the CL place in it...

Have the rules been made for this tournament already because apparently Platini plans to give Europa League winners a CL place.

http://www.supersport.com/football/europa-league/news/120518/Platini_wants_improved_Europa_League

a football man wanting to make a football decision.good for him

Perhaps it is implied, but it seems very vague.

Last edited:

Maribor is a two hour train from Zagreb apparently

2 and a half hours. At least. Loads of us booked on the Easyjet Gatwick - Zagreb flight day of game, so we're looking into getting a 20 seater coach / mini-bus. Also managed to get a room in Maribor for £ 4. Including breakfast - so I'm sure that's going to be lovely :eek:.

Went to book Rome last night but flights rocketed up to £180 so gave it a swerve.

2 and a half hours. At least. Loads of us booked on the Easyjet Gatwick - Zagreb flight day of game, so we're looking into getting a 20 seater coach / mini-bus. Also managed to get a room in Maribor for £ 4. Including breakfast - so I'm sure that's going to be lovely :eek:.

Went to book Rome last night but flights rocketed up to £180 so gave it a swerve.

i'm on the 6.25 from gatwick on ther day. i'd be interested in that if it comes off and you've got a spare seat

i'm on the 6.25 from gatwick on ther day. i'd be interested in that if it comes off and you've got a spare seat

Yeah that's the one. Started off with 5 of us, then the word spread. There's going to be a load of Tottenham on that flight, plus I know a few of the North East Spurs are on the Zagreb - Gatwick flight back. So yeah, should be a good trip!

I think it's really important we make a good start in the group. A win against Lazio might mean less pressure against Maribor and hopefully we'll have qualified by the last game, meaning we can play a team of kids, keeping the first XI fresh for Everton away, which is always tough. So I think a strong XI is needed, but some rotation of course.

My XI for Lazio at home would be:

-----------------------------Lloris-------------------------------
Naughton----------Dawson-------------Vertonghen-----------BAE
-----------------------------Sandro-----------------------------
---------------Huddlestone----------Carroll-----------------------
Lennon-------------------------------------------------Townsend
----------------------------Dempsey-----------------------------

Bench:
Cudicini/Gomes/Archer (depending who is at the club)
Gallas
Walker
Parker
Dembele
Defoe
Adebayor

No Caulker?

Rome flights will be up and down between now and closer to the game id have thought

also, you might want to get in touch with ZG Spur about the coach mate - as the name suggests he is from Zagreb so maybe he knows where you should be looking/what you should be paying ;)

Last edited:

Rome flights will be up and down between now and closer to the game id have thought

also, you might want to get in touch with ZG Spur about the coach mate - as the name suggests he is from Zagreb so maybe he knows where you should be looking/what you should be paying ;)

Sweet, cheers.I'll get in touch.

Think we was quoted £44 return (about £10-15 more than a train, once you've got into the centre of Zagreb to catch the train), but it takes half the time by road.

I'll keep an eye on Rome flights as it's one I wanna do, but could only afford one on Friday when draw was made. The joys of getting paid weekly. ](*,)

Donetsk krakow Istanbul always heard how they'd be out for us give us a nice welcome to their town never really
Happened tho did it. Lazio however I think will be the real deal and anyone who's going out will Have to have to keep their eyes peeled at all times. Athens could be lively too hopefully take big numbers to both games and avb takes competition serious. James I wouldn't worry In slightest about the ID malarkey since we got back in to Europe I've done every trip bar the Cyprus and Israel one and not once have me or any of the lot I travel with had to show any ID.

has anyone looked into whether you can get a train from Graz to Mirabor - looks a lot closer than Zagreb

actually scratch that, no direct flights #-o

Donetsk krakow Istanbul always heard how they'd be out for us give us a nice welcome to their town never really
Happened tho did it. Lazio however I think will be the real deal and anyone who's going out will Have to have to keep their eyes peeled at all times. Athens could be lively too hopefully take big numbers to both games and avb takes competition serious. James I wouldn't worry In slightest about the ID malarkey since we got back in to Europe I've done every trip bar the Cyprus and Israel one and not once have me or any of the lot I travel with had to show any ID.
Yeah I've chatted to a few other people and no-one has said anything about showing ID - just remember the club saying something about it back in the 10/11 season. Lazio will be very interesting - my mate wants to meet us out and there and take his bird but I didn't advise it!

Not for Lazio. I think for Pana and Maribor he should start. But we need to win that first home game.

As if we get worse with Caulker in the team ..
Or that Naughton, Carroll and Townsend are somehow safer rookie options.

Champions League spot for UEFA EL winners could be extremely bad for us if they don't also change the rule of max 4 teams from same football association.
Imagine a fourth place in the league again, then losing out on CL due to Liverpool or Saudi Sportswashing Machine winning UEFA.

Naughton is pretty much as safe as Caulker, Carroll and Townsend are still pretty untested..

Champions League spot for UEFA EL winners could be extremely bad for us if they don't also change the rule of max 4 teams from same football association.
Imagine a fourth place in the league again, then losing out on CL due to Liverpool or Saudi Sportswashing Machine winning UEFA.

That would be insane. You could get the situation where neither 3rd and 4th qualify.

Europa winner 5th, CL winner 6th..

I always think a Rookie in defense is a less safe option than a rookie further up the pitch. But Caulker is a safer pair of hands than Townsend or Carroll. I just think Vert will do well in Europe and Dawson will need some minutes.

Neither Pool or Barcodes will win UEFA.

I actually agree with giving the UEFA Cup winners a CL spot. I've said it for years now, CL spots should go to Cup/League winners. Instead of having a bunch of devalued Cup competitions and people playing for 2nd/3rd/4th in leagues, give CL spots to the winner of league, plus winner of two main domestic cups, plus previous year CL and UEFA Cup winners.

It would revitalize domestic cups, and actually minimize the CL money monopoly of clubs that have been sitting in the "safe zone" without actually winning anything.

I actually agree with giving the UEFA Cup winners a CL spot. I've said it for years now, CL spots should go to Cup/League winners. Instead of having a bunch of devalued Cup competitions and people playing for 2nd/3rd/4th in leagues, give CL spots to the winner of league, plus winner of two main domestic cups, plus previous year CL and UEFA Cup winners.

It would revitalize domestic cups, and actually minimize the CL money monopoly of clubs that have been sitting in the "safe zone" without actually winning anything.

Whilst i agree with the concept, I can understand the thought process behind them not doing it.

The cups are very unpredictable, the big teams might not win them, they want the big teams in the CL for the £££.

just like no-one gave Chelsea a chance of beating Barca, beating Munich in their own back yard, winning the CL under ex WBA and Milton Keynes boss Di Matteo

anything can happen, and if it means Spurs suffer as a result, it most probably will

Back