• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

Jenas several times scored 6 PL goals in a season, but that was his best. Alli could match that this season without improving on his current scoring record. At 19, in his first PL season and first season above League One level.

But that's doing Alli a disservice as he has more than just the goals in his locker too

The similarities are there with Jenas but Alli appears to have the attitude, aptitude and will as well as the ability

Seeing Jenas retire at 32 (iirc) to do tv shows how his will wasn't there to get yo the very top

A few eyebrows were raised when Dele Alli was called up for England duty last month. Perhaps not any more. The 19-year-old impressed with his energy - and composed finish - drawing the plaudits from Sky Sports pundits Gary Neville, Frank Lampard and Jamie Carragher. Carragher, you may recall, criticised Alli's call-up, saying it was too easy for young players to get England call-ups after his inclusion. Think he has changed his tune....

But that's doing Alli a disservice as he has more than just the goals in his locker too

The similarities are there with Jenas but Alli appears to have the attitude, aptitude and will as well as the ability

Seeing Jenas retire at 32 (iirc) to do tv shows how his will wasn't there to get yo the very top

Both have similar skin tones and play/played in midfield ... thats it.

Both have similar skin tones and play/played in midfield ... thats it.

Both athletic and hard working. Both playing box-to-box roles next to a more sitting midfielder. Both capable of making those telling runs to and into the box to get goals. Both tidy on the ball and can go past a player. Both work hard defensively.

Quite a few similarities and although comparing a young talented player to Jenas kinda makes him look bad, it also makes him look kinda good. Remembering that Jenas had a lot of potential and some excellent games for us. Jenas was a story of unfulfilled potential, Alli seems to have even more potential and if his story is one of fulfilled potential it will be a great one.

Both athletic and hard working. Both playing box-to-box roles next to a more sitting midfielder. Both capable of making those telling runs to and into the box to get goals. Both tidy on the ball and can go past a player. Both work hard defensively.

Quite a few similarities and although comparing a young talented player to Jenas kinda makes him look bad, it also makes him look kinda good. Remembering that Jenas had a lot of potential and some excellent games for us. Jenas was a story of unfulfilled potential, Alli seems to have even more potential and if his story is one of fulfilled potential it will be a great one.

I agree with the Jenas comparison but like other have said Jenas never had the strong mentality to make the best of his talents. Alli seems to have the drive and desire that Jenas only showed in patches and I hope he continues to do so. There is a lot of hype around at the moment ( especially since his call up for England) and I hope he keeps his feet on the ground, his goal last night was a belter and shows he has the confidence to progress.

I hope we do not overplay him though because like all young kids he will have poor games and that is when we will find out if he is the real deal.

I agree with the Jenas comparison but like other have said Jenas never had the strong mentality to make the best of his talents. Alli seems to have the drive and desire that Jenas only showed in patches and I hope he continues to do so. There is a lot of hype around at the moment ( especially since his call up for England) and I hope he keeps his feet on the ground, his goal last night was a belter and shows he has the confidence to progress.

I hope we do not overplay him though because like all young kids he will have poor games and that is when we will find out if he is the real deal.

Agree that there are differences. One of the clearest so far seems to be Alli's natural instincts in front of goal. I don't think Jenas had that kind of composure and self belief in and around the box. Alli also seems to have a bit more pure skill to call upon in tight situations.

Mentality is difficult though. Remember Jenas was being touted as a future England captain at one point. I assume that was partly because his attitude was pretty much spot on at the time. But from what has happened so far Alli seems to come out ahead in this are too.

To be fair to Jermaine, after leaving Spurs in 2011 he suffered two very serious injuries; a ruptured Achilles' tendon which he recovered from, only to then suffer a ruptured anterior crucial ligament. But I do agree while he was a very good player he lacked the winning mentality of a number midfielders such as Frank Lampard who IMO was less naturally gifted. I can see that mentality developing already in Alli. I also liked he facts e seems quite grounded for such a youngster. Sadly I can't see us holding on to him long enough for him to complete his development.

To be fair to Jermaine, after leaving Spurs in 2011 he suffered two very serious injuries; a ruptured Achilles' tendon which he recovered from, only to then suffer a ruptured anterior crucial ligament. But I do agree while he was a very good player he lacked the winning mentality of a number midfielders such as Frank Lampard who IMO was less naturally gifted. I can see that mentality developing already in Alli. I also liked he facts e seems quite grounded for such a youngster. Sadly I can't see us holding on to him long enough for him to complete his development.

Jenas had it all other than the mindset to match his ability IMO

It's probably why he is a decent pundit as he is quite calm and collective without being challenging

Could be that he needs a couple of weeks out of the spotlight. Today he could just not get it right, even if he tried ever so much. But it will always happen to a 19 year old boy from time to time.
I'm not worried, it was just a bad day at the office - and it looked like he felt it too during the game.

Back