• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

This is becoming a circular debate, but we don’t know what constraints the managers are under any more than we don’t know what goes on in board meetings. Given what happened to Jose, it’s not a leap of logic to think Conte might have been given a mandate to prioritise top 4 over the FA cup for example.

Every manager has to work under constraints in one form or the another, i don't see how that changes what has been said. We can judge performance of managers based on what we see them do week in week out - we still see their performance play out in front of our eyes and don't only judge them on the end result.

I don’t quite feel as strongly about Levy as Dubai does. That said I understand his frustrations and I feel he makes some good points. He’s not right about everything IMO but all the same some of his gripes are valid. My issue is how the club has been run since the completion of the stadium which have been discussed in painstaking detail. If a manager was underperforming for 4 years, a lot of people would be calling for them to be sacked. At the very least, it would be fair to ask questions. I don’t get why the same logic isn’t applied to our chairman and owners. It’s fair to acknowledge they have done many good things but it’s not unreasonable to come to the conclusion that they have made too many mistakes in the last few years and perhaps they aren’t best placed to lead us going forward. No one in football gets a life pass, it’s a very cutthroat business.

Levy deserves criticism, of course. But he doesn’t deserve the vitriol that some throw at him.

I think we are quite decent in this forum ... its usually SOME of the people defending levy being over the top ... who cannot stand a word being against him.

On the whole this board has some very decent posters

I agree. Vitriol is probably too harsh on anything on this board, but certainly covers some of the stuff you see on Twitter, Reddit etc.

Headline perhaps a bit unfair, but overall a fair assessment.

Jonathan Wilson: Spurs must set satnav for right manager rather than guess at every turn

But this bit made me laugh.

Tottenham stand at a crossroads. But then they always do. They have been standing at a crossroads for at least 50 years. And while some roads lead through cup finals and hopeful vistas and others through gloom and Tim Sherwood this, perhaps, is the true history of the Tottenham: life as a series of crossroads that lead always, eventually, back to another crossroads somewhere in the Valley of Not-Quite-There.

• You need to turn the lady luck narrative on its head. No team other than the richest 5 have managed to win a trophy and finish in a Champions League position (except for Leicester whose trophy qualified them for the CL). We are effectively trying to upset the odds. So while we are prioritizing a Champs league position (understandably) we are unlikely to win a trophy. I mean there is an interesting stat saying that over the last 20 years the managers we have appointed have won 61 trophies before and after managing Spurs but only 1 has been won at Spurs. It shows how difficult it is to do when you don't have a big squad.
    Oh, by and large I agree. Just that football is also a game of fine margins. As @Raziel says, we have reached enough finals/semi-finals since Levy took over to suggest an element of luck has also come into it, eg the 2009 LC final defeat to Man U on penalties.

• Oh, by and large I agree. Just that football is also a game of fine margins. As @Raziel says, we have reached enough finals/semi-finals since Levy took over to suggest an element of luck has also come into it, eg the 2009 LC final defeat to Man U on penalties.
We have never been the favorites in those finals though. So winning would have been against the odds.

Levy is responsible for today more than anyone else. Stellini is out of his depth. That was obvious when Conte went. It was obvious when we mugged Brighton. It was obvious when Bournemouth beat us. It was glaringly obvious today.

You can’t blame Stellini for taking the job. But we’re a club with no DoF, no manager and a team that looks badly balanced and incapable of playing anything other than counter attacking football from a back 5. Yet, few managers play 5 at the back.

It’s beyond shambolic and for all the good Levy has done, he is the man responsible for this brick show.

Levy is responsible for today more than anyone else. Stellini is out of his depth. That was obvious when Conte went. It was obvious when we mugged Brighton. It was obvious when Bournemouth beat us. It was glaringly obvious today.

You can’t blame Stellini for taking the job. But we’re a club with no DoF, no manager and a team that looks badly balanced and incapable of playing anything other than counter attacking football from a back 5. Yet, few managers play 5 at the back.

It’s beyond shambolic and for all the good Levy has done, he is the man responsible for this brick show.

Seeing as Levy seems to be in full control of our operations, what are the chances of him actually leaving? I'd say about 0. What would it take? Surely the board has no say, and Lewis, who probably could fire him, sure as hell won't. I think he only leaves if we end up selling, and why would we want to sell at this point?

I'd say the formation change was most to blame on the day tbh once we switched back things settled down (though it could be argued Saudi Sportswashing Machine eased off, though it didntlook like it) that for me falls back on management.

Ultimately though Stellini & co are in charge because of the decisions made at the top if you want to look at it that way.

Yep, I like Levy but the Stellini appointment looked like a disaster from the start. And thats not hindsight revisionism - lots of us were calling it. You cant fire a manager and then appointment someone who is inextricably linked with him as the caretaker. Its nonsense

If he didnt trust Mason on his own, and someone like Hoddle couldnt be tempted but he wanted someone experienced, he could have gone to various exerpienced managers - even people like Fat Sam and FSW(!) - as a stop gap. He could have got Hodgson is he'd moved quick enough

Stellini was always destined for failure. He does even have much managerial experience to give him some credibility!

I'd say the formation change was most to blame on the day tbh once we switched back things settled down (though it could be argued Saudi Sportswashing Machine eased off, though it didntlook like it) that for me falls back on management.

Ultimately though Stellini & co are in charge because of the decisions made at the top if you want to look at it that way.

That’s my point. Stellinis selection today was madness with that back 4. There wasn’t a good defender between them.

So why are we in a position where we have a manager who makes that selection and with a bunch of players who can, collectively, only play one outdated and infrequently used formation. The mess we are in is much bigger than today. Today was just a manifestation of that brickshow. All the ingredients came together.

And, for me, that’s on Levy.

We have never been the favorites in those finals though. So winning would have been against the odds.

4 cup finals, not a single goal scored.

2009: 0-0 aet Manchester Utd win on pens
2015: 0-2 Chelsea
2019: 0-2 Liverpool
2021: 0-2 Emirates Marketing Project

I see what you're saying but, seriously that is poor. Also we beat Chelsea 5-3 in 2015, matched Liverpool at the time and took 4 points off Emirates Marketing Project that season. Not quite what I'd call overwhelming under dogs and should making an effort. I think the 2009 was our best performance of those 4 finals.

There were people on here claiming that Conte's rant was aimed only at the players. But when he said it's been the same for 20 years that has to reference the owners.

Back