• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

A fuller excerpt from the press conference is below (with the '20 year' comment highlighted). Hard to be 100% certain due to English not being his first language, but personally I think it's pretty clear that he was criticising the players, not the club/chairman/owners.

---

'The club has the responsibility for the transfer market, every coach that stayed here has the responsibility. And the players? The players? Where are the players? In my experience, I can tell you that if you want to be competitive, if you want to fight, you have to improve this aspect. And this aspect, I can tell you, in this moment is really, really low. And I see only 11 players that play for themselves.

But does your future, the uncertainty....

You are finding an alibi, another alibi. You try to find an excuse for the players. OK, continue to do this, to find an excuse for the players. You do only this! You do only this. Excuses for the players. 'But the players, maybe, my future, then we lost confidence, they lost spirit, they lost being a team'. Excuses. Excuses. Excuse. Try to protect them every time.

Bah. Come on, come on, come on. We are professional. The club pay us a lot of money. The players receive money, me receive money, you understand? Not to find excuse or not show spirit or show a sense of belonging or don't show a sense of responsibility because we are showing this. For me this is unacceptable because for me this is the first time in my career to see a situation like this. Until now I wasn't able to change, not to change but compare to last season the situation went to become worse.

Why is it happening?

Why? Because they are used to it here, they are used to it. They don't play for something important yeah. They don't want to play under pressure, they don't want to play under stress. It is easy in this way. Tottenham's story is this. 20 years there is the owner and they never won something but why? The fault is only for the club, or for every manager that stay here? I have seen the managers that Tottenham had on the bench. You risk to disrupt the figure of the manager and to protect the other situation in every moment.

[...]

I’m really upset and everyone has to take their responsibility.

Not only the club, the manager and the staff. The players have to be involved in this situation because it is time to change this situation if Tottenham want to change. If they want to continue in this way, they can change the manager, a lot of managers, but the situation cannot change.'

The players have a responsibility, obviously, but ultimately, Conte was the guy in charge of the players - getting them to perform was literally his responsibility. If you can't do that, well, you're simply not suited to the job.

We've got players on our books that have performed well for us. A lot of them have performed well for other clubs as well. They are all more or less very capable footballers (though some are aging). A different manager, with a different style and approach could turn us around completely. What do we really know about that dressing room and how it's been? We're quick to judge based on basically no real knowledge what so ever.

Conte and our lot just didn't work out. OK. Lets move on. Get a more progressive coach in. One that isn't afraid to play youngsters and that has more than one game plan. Would do a world of good.

His end of season message to the fans is going to make some interesting reading this year!

Will be the usual spin of trying our best, in challenging circumstances. Look forward to seeing you all next year, together as fans and a club.

I think he could lift the club morale and excitement with one simple appointment. Not that I completely agree with it.

Will be the usual spin of trying our best, in challenging circumstances. Look forward to seeing you all next year, together as fans and a club.

I think he could lift the club morale and excitement with one simple appointment. Not that I completely agree with it.

I support that appointment, not for sentimental reasons but because Poch is the best qualified available manager in my view

Either way, he took just under 2.5 months to move from Jose >> Nuno, a move which is widely acknowledged as being far too slow. By the time we get to the final game of this season it'll be two months post Conte's sacking

Therefore to have Levy's end of season message talking about going through our internal process, doing our due diligence and whatever other padding would just look farcical in my view

I support that appointment, not for sentimental reasons but because Poch is the best qualified available manager in my view

Either way, he took just under 2.5 months to move from Jose >> Nuno, a move which is widely acknowledged as being far too slow. By the time we get to the final game of this season it'll be two months post Conte's sacking

Therefore to have Levy's end of season message talking about going through our internal process, doing our due diligence and whatever other padding would just look farcical in my view

It's ok he knows most will lap it up.

The difference between the time taken for Jose-Nuno and this scenario is that we don't have a DoF currently. I would be more concerned about us getting in a manager before the DoF as that is a recipe for disaster. You can be critical of time taken to get a new DoF but I'm guessing that is a process that takes time and considering it is intended to underpin the future philosophy of the club whilst not ideal is perhaps understandable. Hopefully we are close, and then a coach will be incoming soon after....

The difference between the time taken for Jose-Nuno and this scenario is that we don't have a DoF currently. I would be more concerned about us getting in a manager before the DoF as that is a recipe for disaster. You can be critical of time taken to get a new DoF but I'm guessing that is a process that takes time and considering it is intended to underpin the future philosophy of the club whilst not ideal is perhaps understandable. Hopefully we are close, and then a coach will be incoming soon after....

Fair point, but in that scenario is the DoF just rubber stamping Levy's manager choice? And if not, does the manager search only begin for proper once the DoF walks in?

I mean, say the DoF rocks up and Levy tells him that his preferred manager is [name].

The only options are the DoF nods along, in which case why bother waiting for him, or the DoF says that he has a couple other preferred names and he wants to speak to them

They didn't.... It's just that some on here will come up with any old story to defend Levy.

I have no qualms honesty admitting that I hated Mourinho so much I wasn't unhappy at all. Levy didn't factor into my thinking, beyond the fact he appointed the clam in the first place and stitched up a great manager who was the right fit for us in the process. That will tell you a bit more about my pettiness/preferences. What I didn't reckon on was the clown car of decision making which followed, which was silly on my part.

There's been some revisionism here about his dismissal because I remember several others not being unhappy he got the sack despite the rather controversial (to say the least) timing.

Fair point, but in that scenario is the DoF just rubber stamping Levy's manager choice? And if not, does the manager search only begin for proper once the DoF walks in?

I mean, say the DoF rocks up and Levy tells him that his preferred manager is [name].

The only options are the DoF nods along, in which case why bother waiting for him, or the DoF says that he has a couple other preferred names and he wants to speak to them

I think Scott Munn's appt is designed to make sure it is not just Levy's choice? I could be being naive again TBH...

I think Scott Munn's appt is designed to make sure it is not just Levy's choice? I could be being naive again TBH...

Does that mean we don't appoint a manager til Munn joins on 1st July? Or are you saying that you think we could appoint a manager before the DoF arrives given it'll be a joint Levy/Munn decision?

All a mess anyway. No DoF, no manager, new 'head of football' or whatever the title is for another c.7 weeks

Does that mean we don't appoint a manager til Munn joins on 1st July? Or are you saying that you think we could appoint a manager before the DoF arrives given it'll be a joint Levy/Munn decision?

Guessing of course, but it looks like Munn and Levy have already been traveling/looking at potential DoFs as we speak. There was that photo of them at London City Airport, and it feels like perhaps they were on a DoF interview trip as opposed to manager. I don't think any manager will be especially excited to join before the DoF is in, and I think any manager will want assurances they will be dealing with a couple layers removed from Levy.

Guessing of course, but it looks like Munn and Levy have already been traveling/looking at potential DoFs as we speak. There was that photo of them at London City Airport, and it feels like perhaps they were on a DoF interview trip as opposed to manager. I don't think any manager will be especially excited to join before the DoF is in, and I think any manager will want assurances they will be dealing with a couple layers removed from Levy.

Could be the case. The DoF has a huge amount to do once they show up.

The DoF appointment could arguably he harder than the manager appointment though. Which club will want to lose their DoF just before the summer window? I guess if they have a capable deputy it'd be easier

We have coped before without a DoF. If we are waiting for that being the only reason for not going full gung ho for Poch then I'm lost for words.

Yeh I agree, without the need to clock watch just yet it is the sensible thing to do, no doubt the manager role is key but making the right appointment when the overall structure is in place just makes sense. Otherwise people will just pull holes in it saying that the manager was or wasn't the DOFs choice, they can't work together blah blah blah and we are seemingly back to square one.

Sent from my SM-A127F using Fapatalk

Yeh I agree, without the need to clock watch just yet it is the sensible thing to do, no doubt the manager role is key but making the right appointment when the overall structure is in place just makes sense. Otherwise people will just pull holes in it saying that the manager was or wasn't the DOFs choice, they can't work together blah blah blah and we are seemingly back to square one.

Sent from my SM-A127F using Fapatalk

So is the DoF more important than the manager himself? I'm a little confused and not being a taco

Back