• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

I know, but he could have been rowing back because you cannot mention "20 years" without referencing the ownership. They are the only common denominator in that period and they set the tone for the culture.

Could have been, or it could be that what he said should have been interpreted how a few of us said it could... ;)

Could have been, or it could be that what he said should have been interpreted how a few of us said it could... ;)
But that does not make sense though Bill. You cannot make a claim about a time period and the culture of the club within that period where the current players are only relevant for a small part of it.

I think it is much more likely he exploded in complete frustration about the situation he found himself in. Because of his arrogance blamed everyone else. Then decided when he calmed down that he needed to be a bit more careful with his words.

Last edited:
But that does not make sense though Bill. You cannot make a claim about a time period and the culture of the club within that period where the current players are only relevant for a small part of it.

I think it is much more likely he exploded in complete frustration about the situation he found himself in. Because of his arrogance blamed everyone else. Then decided when he calmed down that he needed to be a bit more careful with his words.

I think the same, he was exasperated with the refusal of the players to consistently perform to their ability.

Like Jose before him, he knew what he was doing, it worked everywhere else, but this group just won’t respond.

When was the last time that Levy made a good decision on the footballing side of the club?

Not backing Pochettino
Sacking Pochettino
Appointing Jose
Sacking Jose in the week leading up to a cup final
Appointing Mason
Turning down ETH
Appointing Nuno
Appointing Conte
Sacking Conte with 10 games of the season left
Not even talking to Pochettino about the vacancy.
Appointing Stellini
Appointing Mason

What a shambles he has presided over these past 5 years or so.

When was the last time that Levy made a good decision on the footballing side of the club?

Not backing Pochettino - you haven't noticed a new stadium? or the money spent on Ndombele and Lo Celso once the stadium was built?
Sacking Pochettino - after a year of relegation form
Appointing Jose - one of the best managers of the modern game
Sacking Jose in the week leading up to a cup final - fans demanded it
Appointing Mason - you wanted a better calibre of caretaker?
Turning down ETH - did he? I suppose we could be losing 7-0 to Liverpool, instead of 6-1 to Saudi Sportswashing Machine
Appointing Nuno - glorified caretaker, was a shambles to be fair
Appointing Conte - one of the best managers of the modern game
Sacking Conte with 10 games of the season left - fans demanded it
Not even talking to Pochettino about the vacancy. - why would he talk to him if he's not going to give him the job?
Appointing Stellini - you wanted a better calibre of caretaker?
Appointing Mason - you still want a better calibre of caretaker?

Not backing Pochettino
Sacking Pochettino
Appointing Jose
Appointing Mason
Turning down ETH
Appointing Nuno
Appointing Conte
Appointing Stellini
Appointing Mason

During those shambolic 5 years we played in 2 finals and 2 top 4 finishes.

It was the best of times....it was the worst of times.

Not backing Pochettino
Sacking Pochettino
Appointing Jose
Appointing Mason
Turning down ETH
Appointing Nuno
Appointing Conte
Appointing Stellini
Appointing Mason

Paratichi

Asnd look how that's turned out :D

A bit worrying that in the last month Levy has spoken twice with the 'players committee' about how things were going with the current head coach and whether said head coach should continue or not...if we get absolutely schooled in our next two games, will he ask them again next week???

Not backing Pochettino - you haven't noticed a new stadium? or the money spent on Ndombele and Lo Celso once the stadium was built?
Another ridiculous decision, spending money on a few new players and then sacking the manager that wanted them very soon after.

Sacking Pochettino - after a year of relegation form.
After 4 CL qualifications in a row by league position and a CL final, despite virtually no backing at all (17th highest net transfer spend in the PL).

Appointing Jose - one of the best managers of the modern game.
Who plays mind numbingly boring football and needs to be backed with big, expensive signings. If he actually is one of the best managers in the modern game then why was he sacked just before a Cup final?

Sacking Jose in the week leading up to a cup final - fans demanded it.
Rubbish, The fans didn't demand him being sacked at that point at all, the timing was farcical.

Appointing Mason - you wanted a better calibre of caretaker?
No, I want the club to be properly run so that caretakers don't have to keep on being appointed.

Turning down ETH - did he? I suppose we could be losing 7-0 to Liverpool, instead of 6-1 to Saudi Sportswashing Machine.
A trophy already in the cabinet for ETH at Man Utd and an FA Cup final to come (wonder if Man Utd will sack ETH a few days before that final? I bet they don't)

Appointing Nuno - glorified caretaker, was a shambles to be fair.
He wasn't a caretaker at all, he was appointed as manager.

Appointing Conte - one of the best managers of the modern game.
Another manager with a boring style of football and that needs specific players that our chairman isn't going to oblige in getting.

Sacking Conte with 10 games of the season left - fans demanded it.
Rubbish, the fans didn't demand it at all, there were no 'Conte out' chants at games, only 'Levy out' ones.

Not even talking to Pochettino about the vacancy. - why would he talk to him if he's not going to give him the job?
Why is he not going to give him the job? Why would he have made up his mind not to employ Pochettino before even talking to him about the job? What if Pochettino has been working on his powerpoint skills and can now wow him like AVB did?

Appointing Stellini - you wanted a better calibre of caretaker?
I want us to be far better run so that we don't need to keep on having caretakers.

Appointing Mason - you still want a better calibre of caretaker?.
I want us to be far better run so that we don't need to keep on having caretakers, especially not lurching to a second caretaker in the same season.

Last edited:
During those shambolic 5 years we played in 2 finals and 2 top 4 finishes.

It was the best of times....it was the worst of times.
Indeed.... And the two managers that got us to Cup finals were sacked (one just before he actually got to manage the team in that final). The two managers who overachieved with top 4 finishes were also sacked.

A fuller excerpt from the press conference is below (with the '20 year' comment highlighted). Hard to be 100% certain due to English not being his first language, but personally I think it's pretty clear that he was criticising the players, not the club/chairman/owners.

---

'The club has the responsibility for the transfer market, every coach that stayed here has the responsibility. And the players? The players? Where are the players? In my experience, I can tell you that if you want to be competitive, if you want to fight, you have to improve this aspect. And this aspect, I can tell you, in this moment is really, really low. And I see only 11 players that play for themselves.

But does your future, the uncertainty....

You are finding an alibi, another alibi. You try to find an excuse for the players. OK, continue to do this, to find an excuse for the players. You do only this! You do only this. Excuses for the players. 'But the players, maybe, my future, then we lost confidence, they lost spirit, they lost being a team'. Excuses. Excuses. Excuse. Try to protect them every time.

Bah. Come on, come on, come on. We are professional. The club pay us a lot of money. The players receive money, me receive money, you understand? Not to find excuse or not show spirit or show a sense of belonging or don't show a sense of responsibility because we are showing this. For me this is unacceptable because for me this is the first time in my career to see a situation like this. Until now I wasn't able to change, not to change but compare to last season the situation went to become worse.

Why is it happening?

Why? Because they are used to it here, they are used to it. They don't play for something important yeah. They don't want to play under pressure, they don't want to play under stress. It is easy in this way. Tottenham's story is this. 20 years there is the owner and they never won something but why? The fault is only for the club, or for every manager that stay here? I have seen the managers that Tottenham had on the bench. You risk to disrupt the figure of the manager and to protect the other situation in every moment.

[...]

I’m really upset and everyone has to take their responsibility.

Not only the club, the manager and the staff. The players have to be involved in this situation because it is time to change this situation if Tottenham want to change. If they want to continue in this way, they can change the manager, a lot of managers, but the situation cannot change.'

Back