• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

Yep
I’ve read about their model before
They believe that playing their way will give them more pluses than negatives so they don’t change and recruit that way
It’s money ball for football

Wasn't that why Warburton left, because he didn't fit with the stats-based management model that was being introduced, or something like that?

Wasn't that why Warburton left, because he didn't fit with the stats-based management model that was being introduced, or something like that?
Yeah
And he is a good coach IMO
But their view is luck has no control
They control everything they can and accept the variables
It’s got them too half prem league

Brighton take a similar approach to signings in that they accept a player will have many variables but they buy them on the basis of as much certainty as you an get data wise

both clubs are owned by sports gamblers

Yeah
And he is a good coach IMO
But their view is luck has no control
They control everything they can and accept the variables
It’s got them too half prem league

Brighton take a similar approach to signings in that they accept a player will have many variables but they buy them on the basis of as much certainty as you an get data wise

both clubs are owned by sports gamblers
Great little club and done so well

The model works well for them, the time it will be tested is when the luck variable rolls against them for a longer time than the facts and then emotion and then nervousness takes over....those are variables that stats don't and can't allow for, moral and confidence gone because you have unluckily lost the first 4 or 5 games of a season, its happened to a fair few before, less well drilled I admit but still, once your sh1tting it for results because of a few poor results a team like Brentford could hit the skids. Not saying it will happen but its their biggest threat IMO

Sent from my SM-A127F using Fapatalk

Interesting pod. Brentford DoF. Statto behind a lot of their decisions and metrics. Mentions that luck is 80% of outcome. Says they might win or lose a game but what matters is how well they played, xG etc.

https://www.thehighperformancepodcast.com/podcast/philgiles
I listened to that earlier in the week, some interesting stuff.
1. Said don't brainstorm and try to set up everything at once...it won't work.
2. They Actively looked for people WITHOUT (or very little) football experience for senior/ directior positions.

Yes but the point is that the off the field stuff is a lot more hard to judge without seeing the things we are not privy to than it is with the players and managers. We all watch football week in week out, we know whether players are playing well and are good enough or whether or not the managers are doing well with what they have, the same cannot be said for off the field matters. You for example recently said it's shambles that we don't have a sponsor for the stadium yet, despite having absoloutely no clue about anything relating to why, how can you call something a shambles without knowing the ins and outs? We can call managers or players out for not being good enough because we see their work played out in front of us. It's jist not the same.

We may as well close down the thread if we’re not allowed to talk about things we’re not privy to. Same for the new coach thread as we’re not aware of what’s going on in the background or what happens in training/behind closed doors etc.

Who said we couldn't talk about anything?

My original reply was to a comment that we Dubaispur doesn’t know what it’s like to run a billion pound company. I pointed out none of us have managed a PL club or have played professional football. But that doesn’t stop us commenting. You then said we don’t know the ins and outs of running a club which is true but the same is true for managing and playing.

My original reply was to a comment that we Dubaispur doesn’t know what it’s like to run a billion pound company. I pointed out none of us have managed a PL club or have played professional football. But that doesn’t stop us commenting. You then said we don’t know the ins and outs of running a club which is true but the same is true for managing and playing.

Well no, what you said and what i commented on was to draw parallels between that and critiquing players/managers without having played or managed the game. I don't think that's a fair comparison for the reasons given and i didn't imply that you couldn't/shouldn't discuss something.

We watch the players play the game and we see what the manager does during in-game situations - we don't see an equivalent amount of performance from the off the field operations, we just see the end result - it would be like appraising managers & players based purely on the results/table without having watched any of the football played.

Well no, what you said and what i commented on was to draw parallels between that and critiquing players/managers without having played or managed the game. I don't think that's a fair comparison for the reasons given and i didn't imply that you couldn't/shouldn't discuss something.

We watch the players play the game and we see what the manager does during in-game situations - we don't see an equivalent amount of performance from the off the field operations, we just see the end result - it would be like appraising managers & players based purely on the results/table without having watched any of the football played.

The end results are ultimately what we judge. I think we have enough information personally

The end results are ultimately what we judge. I think we have enough information personally

We judge the results yes and it's fair to judge the outcome of anything the board is responsible for but going back to the on the pitch comparison, without seeing the football played you're not getting any context whatsoever which ultimately gives you the most accurate portrayal of the ins & outs. For example you could look at our position in the table when Conte left and be under the impression we were having a decent enough season - when we all know that wasn't the case...

The problem isn't the criticism by itself, it's the complete lack of understanding/acknowledgement of the fact that we see an absolute fraction of what actually goes on. The comment by DubaiSpur was about Levy signing Nelsen and Saha over 10 years ago, and using that as the basis to hold a grudge and describe Levy's entire reign as "20 long, grinding years."

Imagine if someone criticised Spurs for finishing 3rd in the 2015/16 season without watching a single minute of the football. It would be ridiculous.

Last edited:
We judge the results yes and it's fair to judge the outcome of anything the board is responsible for but going back to the on the pitch comparison, without seeing the football played you're not getting any context whatsoever which ultimately gives you the most accurate portrayal of the ins & outs. For example you could look at our position in the table when Conte left and be under the impression we were having a decent enough season - when we all know that wasn't the case...

This is becoming a circular debate, but we don’t know what constraints the managers are under any more than we don’t know what goes on in board meetings. Given what happened to Jose, it’s not a leap of logic to think Conte might have been given a mandate to prioritise top 4 over the FA cup for example.

The problem isn't the criticism by itself, it's the complete lack of understanding/acknowledgement of the fact that we see an absolute fraction of what actually goes on. The comment by DubaiSpur was about Levy signing Nelsen and Saha over 10 years ago, and using that as the basis to hold a grudge and describe Levy's entire reign as "20 long, grinding years."

Imagine if someone criticised Spurs for finishing 3rd in the 2015/16 season without watching a single minute of the football. It would be ridiculous.

I don’t quite feel as strongly about Levy as Dubai does. That said I understand his frustrations and I feel he makes some good points. He’s not right about everything IMO but all the same some of his gripes are valid. My issue is how the club has been run since the completion of the stadium which have been discussed in painstaking detail. If a manager was underperforming for 4 years, a lot of people would be calling for them to be sacked. At the very least, it would be fair to ask questions. I don’t get why the same logic isn’t applied to our chairman and owners. It’s fair to acknowledge they have done many good things but it’s not unreasonable to come to the conclusion that they have made too many mistakes in the last few years and perhaps they aren’t best placed to lead us going forward. No one in football gets a life pass, it’s a very cutthroat business.

Back