• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cycling thread

Froome is 11/5 to finish in the top three of the Olympic time trial, thoughts on that?

Since Cancellara and Martin are nursing injuries and froome finished 2nd in the two TTs on the Tour I think it could be worth a few quid.

There's an argument that Cancellara and Martin only did the first half of the Tour de France. I honesty can't decide between Froome and Cancellara for the bronze. Cancellara is supposedly in pain but I don't think he's compete if he didnt think he could do himself justice in the race.
One huge advantage in time trialling is the start order. If you start after your rivals, you have all your rivals timechecks to pace yourself against.
For some reason the start order hasn't been released yet.

There's an argument that Cancellara and Martin only did the first half of the Tour de France. I honesty can't decide between Froome and Cancellara for the bronze. Cancellara is supposedly in pain but I don't think he's compete if he didnt think he could do himself justice in the race.
One huge advantage in time trialling is the start order. If you start after your rivals, you have all your rivals timechecks to pace yourself against.
Ahh fair enough. If Froome is later on the start order then reckon it's worth a punt? Cancellara only just started training again the other day and feels pain in his right shoulder.

What is Peloton?

It's the main core of riders in a cycling race. Basically, the core of riders will huddle into a pack and draught each other so that they can ride as fast as possible whilst using as little energy as possible. Then the front riders rotate backwards so that everyone (in theory) gets a chance to benefit from the reduced drag in the middle of the peloton.

Interestingly, you are not allowed any form of draughting in triathlon events. So if you watch that and wonder why people are staying apart, this is why.

It's the main core of riders in a cycling race. Basically, the core of riders will huddle into a pack and draught each other so that they can ride as fast as possible whilst using as little energy as possible. Then the front riders rotate backwards so that everyone (in theory) gets a chance to benefit from the reduced drag in the middle of the peloton.

Interestingly, you are not allowed any form of draughting in triathlon events. So if you watch that and wonder why people are staying apart, this is why.

It's the same with individual time trials for cyclists. If you catch the rider that started before you, you have stay on the other side of the road until you've passed him. He must then keep a minimum of distance to make sure nobody gets any advantages.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/other/2012/0731/1224321214338.html

“The Tour is such a good boot camp for this,” said Wiggins ahead of the 44km test, where he will be seeking to become the first man to win the Tour and Olympic gold in the same year. “This is going be a piece of tinkle now compared to that. It’s just an hour and not three weeks. It’s been the best preparation.

“That’s the baseline of worst-case scenario of pressure and expectation, with three weeks lying ahead of you. And we handled that pretty well, so an hour time-trial to make history should be a doddle.”

Another argument against Froome was all his good time trial performances have come on routes that were a bit hillier than tomorrows race. Phinney might come through and beat him tomorrow, considering Phinney has targeted the time trial all season.

Does it make much difference though?

Definitely gives you an advantage.

Men’s Startlist
14:15:00 37 LAHSAINI Mouhcine MAR
14:16:30 36 GIL MARTINEZ Tomas Aurelio VEN
14:18:00 35 HAGHI Alireza IRI
14:19:30 34 AKDILEK Ahmet TUR
14:21:00 33 NAZARET Magno Prado BRA
14:22:30 32 BEPPU Fumiyuki JPN
14:24:00 31 BAZAYEV Assan KAZ
14:25:30 30 McCANN David IRL
14:27:00 29 BAK Lars Ytting DEN
14:28:30 28 ALBASINI Michael SUI
14:30:00 27 DUARTE AREVALO Fabio Andres COL
14:31:30 26 BOOM Lars NED
14:33:00 25 BAUER Jack NZL
14:34:30 24 BRAJKOVIC Janez SLO
14:36:00 23 BODNAR Maciej POL
14:37:30 22 GILBERT Philippe BEL
14:39:00 21 VINOKUROV Alexandr KAZ
14:40:30 20 HESJEDAL Ryder CAN
14:42:00 19 CASTROVIEJO NICOLAS Jonathan ESP
14:43:30 18 FUGLSANG Jakob DEN
14:45:00 17 OLIVEIRA Nelson Filipe S. Simoes POR
14:46:30 16 BOASSON HAGEN Edvald NOR
14:48:00 15 NAVARDAUSKAS Ramunas LTU
14:49:30 14 MENCHOV Denis RUS
14:51:00 13 WESTRA Lieuwe NED
14:52:30 12 KIRYIENKA Vasil BLR
14:54:00 11 LARSSON Gustav SWE
14:55:30 10 ROGERS Michael AUS
14:57:00 9 GRABSCH Bert GER
14:58:30 8 CHAVANEL Sylvain FRA
15:00:00 7 FROOME Christopher GBR
15:01:30 6 PINOTTI Marco ITA
15:03:00 5 SANCHEZ GIL Luis Leon ESP
15:04:30 4 PHINNEY Taylor USA
15:06:00 3 MARTIN Tony GER
15:07:30 2 WIGGINS Bradley GBR
15:09:00 1 CANCELLARA Fabian SUI

Can't see anyone outside the last 10 having a chance of getting a medal.

Proper cycling commentary on British Eurosport. Its hard to get a time trial wrong but the BBC might do it.

Get in Wiggins! I didn't put the bet on in the end due to advice from people that know far more about cycling than me, but oh well.

GB startting to rack up the medals now

Can someone explain what the time trial is? Is it a race or an event in its self?

Just out of interest, many on here ride and if so what sort of bike? I have this bad boy and love it http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cooper/sebring-2012-single-speed-road-bike-ec033645
I have this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003DZ15CQ/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=9556637709&ref=asc_df_B003DZ15CQ

It's not the best bike, but got it free on insurance after my last bike was damaged in a fire. I ride everyday, mainly to get to work and the gym but don't go on so many dedicated rides anymore as I'm trying to gain weight and need to save my legs for the gym.

Back