• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cycling thread

Ok now that I understand the road race and that fudging pentolon. I wanna find out about the cycling in the velodrome.

Why were there three and two people racing? I mean how does someone win? do all three have to beat the other three? or is it an average of the three time finishes?

Why are they starting at different stages of the track?

Ok now that I understand the road race and that fudging pentolon. I wanna find out about the cycling in the velodrome.

Why were there three and two people racing? I mean how does someone win? do all three have to beat the other three? or is it an average of the three time finishes?

First one across the line counts mate

There 5 different disciplines.
These videos will explain them better than I ever could.

Team Pursuit which we saw the heats of today
Individual Sprint - a 1 on 1 sprint like you'd have at the end of a road race
Kerin - an absolute barmy event which is huge in Japan
Omnium - a 2 day long decathlon like event and part 2 of the Omnium

They don't have one for the event which we had today the Team sprint. Its like the team pursuit except, the team loses a rider ever lap and only finishes with one rider versus the other.

Why not look at getting a second hand Steel racer with a good Reynolds or Columbus Frame and decent group. You can pick up a fantastic bike for half the price of that and you wont be wasting a grand if it turns into a flash in the pan.

I have been putting in 45 miles per week on a mountain bike for the past couple of years

Money is not an issue as I'm getting 50% off the price via Cycle to Work scheme

I have been putting in 45 miles per week on a mountain bike for the past couple of years

Money is not an issue as I'm getting 50% off the price via Cycle to Work scheme
Still though, for a grand, you can get yourself a beautiful steel road bike. Perhaps build up a Surly pacer to your spec?

There 5 different disciplines.
These videos will explain them better than I ever could.

Team Pursuit which we saw the heats of today
Individual Sprint - a 1 on 1 sprint like you'd have at the end of a road race
Kerin - an absolute barmy event which is huge in Japan
Omnium - a 2 day long decathlon like event and part 2 of the Omnium

They don't have one for the event which we had today the Team sprint. Its like the team pursuit except, the team loses a rider ever lap and only finishes with one rider versus the other.

Thanks mate - im gonna watch all this.

Cycling has always interested me cos its just so fudging fast BUT just never understood it. Why cant they just have one discipline - cycle as fast as you can and the winner is either the one who crosses finishing line or quickest time

Thanks mate - im gonna watch all this.

Cycling has always interested me cos its just so fudging fast BUT just never understood it. Why cant they just have one discipline - cycle as fast as you can and the winner is either the one who crosses finishing line or quickest time

They try to cater to sprinters and long distance riders, but there are some strange ones. I'd like to see a team time trial on the road, just two events seems a bit low.

Still though, for a grand, you can get yourself a beautiful steel road bike. Perhaps build up a Surly pacer to your spec?

What is the benefit of steel?

I though modern aluminium or preferably carbon was the material of choice nowadays?

Isn't steel heavy?

I assume all the pro riders have full carbon?

Yes - 100% correct

Steel hasn't been used in around 40 years
Southy isn't though, I presume, a pro rider. So maybe a custom steel frame, built to fit him, would offer him greater comfort for long rides, and would be durable enough to last a lifetime?

Mate - all pro-consumer frames are alluminium alloy these days. Steel is as heavy as stones and pretty much obsolete as far as frames are concerned. Similar to asbestos in construction bar the health risks.

The pros and rich enthusiasts opt for carbon which is even lighter

Unless of course he was referring to alluminium in his orignial 'beatuful steel bike' reference and was simply unaware of the (not so recent) technological changes

Last edited:
Southy isn't though, I presume, a pro rider. So maybe a custom steel frame, built to fit him, would offer him greater comfort for long rides, and would be durable enough to last a lifetime?

Definitely interested in the comfort factor

But the cycle to work scheme is not that flexible I'm afraid

I have a list of bike I can choose from

Unfortunately, if I call them up giving them my inside leg measurements, weight and eye colour, I'm guessing they'll be confused.

I haven't bought a bike for a while, but isn't titanium a popular choice in the road bikes for non-pros? I suppose this is technically a steel bike as its really a strengthened type of lightweight steel.

Anyone considering a carbon frame should ask a question. What it your own weight and is paying a lot for a frame that's a few ounces lighter really worth the extra cost?

I have a Cannondale mountain bike. Its worth considering a mountain bike for commuting as you get the benefit of the shocks and our roads are not the best surface. If getting a mountain bike only for use on the road get a larger frame than the one you'd get for the trail.

What is the benefit of steel?

I though modern aluminium or preferably carbon was the material of choice nowadays?

Isn't steel heavy?

I assume all the pro riders have full carbon?
A steel bike does often weigh more than an aluminium but that's not to say it is particularly heavy. A Reynolds 953 frame, for example, actually feels pretty light. Plus the components can contribute significantly to the weight.

Steel is comfier, sturdier, repairable, upgradeable and yes, more beautiful.

What's on your list of possible bikes?

I really enjoyed the keirin, but I don't understand it? why have 6 laps behind the motorbbike? just have 1 or 2 and then pull off. For me it's like having 60 laps behind the Safety car in F1 then 5 laps of all out racing. Which actually might be quite good haha

Back