• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

As Ive said, I think we have effectively replaced him. I dont see how he fits, how he is used, or how he compliments without pushing others out.

And thats aside from the ideas of what he represents, and rewarding what he has done.

If its just a financial transaction then of course, no brainer - but IMO its much more than that. The squad is a balancing act right now and IMO Eriksen tips it the wrong way.

His being there will absolutely compromise Alli/Lo Celso/NDombele, either in playing time, opportunity or position.

I don't think we have replaced him. Lo Celso, while looking a real talent, is nowhere near Eriksen at his best yet. And I see N'Dombele as a Dembele replacement, while Dele has played successfully with Eriksen plenty in the past.

Eriksen will be 28 in February, and will easily have 3-4 more seasons at his best. Hopefully, IMO, at Spurs, playing alongside Dele and N'Dombele.

"Years" is a rather silly measurement

In Diers case I'd be looking to be sure he has had a fair crack of actually being match fit and given a run before deciding whether or not to write him off.

Practically I'd expect him to prove himself one way or the other by the end of the season.

This season, we've seen Eriksen go out and maintain all his 'just-fcukin'-run-about stats' (kms covered per game) but just not deliver the fine details that have separated him from the pack in past seasons.

He'll run down an opposing player with the ball, but only put in a cursory challenge, like it's just a game of tag. He'll have the ball in position to move or pass forward and take a less adventurous option. Or he'll swing a pass over, miss his target and throw his hands up like it's the team mate's fault. All the jogging, none of the slogging.

But playing for Denmark? He brought the full package of skills out and played great.

If he truly wants away, no amount of money is going to change his mind. He (or his agent) clearly wants to play the market. With Ndombele and most of the midfield out for various spells this season, he's been lucky to have had so many opportunities. A healthy season from Spurs would have seen him parked and rusting on the sidelines. Instead, he's been given great opportunities and, ungratefully, delivered largely tame efforts. More acts of self-preservation than ambition.

It seems clear from the tone of Mourinho's comments that he knows Eriksen's departure is a done deal. These recent appearances seem to be more about putting him in the shop window in hope of a January transfer fee that he'll accept and move on for the rest of the season. Otherwise, the time has come to cut him from the squad and begin to rely on players who will be with the team in future.

I don't think we have replaced him. Lo Celso, while looking a real talent, is nowhere near Eriksen at his best yet. And I see N'Dombele as a Dembele replacement, while Dele has played successfully with Eriksen plenty in the past.

Eriksen will be 28 in February, and will easily have 3-4 more seasons at his best. Hopefully, IMO, at Spurs, playing alongside Dele and N'Dombele.

There is no like for like replacing him. More a change of shape to offer what he does across the midfield than via one player.

This was a big conversation over the summer so probably not worth going over at length now. For me, a more robust set up creatively trump's having a single player doing the business.

Interestingly enough I thought lo celso was very similar to Eriksen, but also Lamela. A hybrid of the two in a lot of ways.

Have to agree with all of that, i understand how some fans think he has turned his back on the club but on ability alone we need him and if he was to sign on again it would be a major plus. imo

Nice free kick btw. If that is his parting gift then thanks and goodbye. He had a good game overall I thought, especially the 2nd half.

I don't think anyone could argue that he is 100% focused on Spurs the way he used to be. And I don't even mean the tackles or lack of them, that was never his thing anyway. Two things that I see that are different are the number of times he takes the safe option, not always, but enough that I noticed it. That and his forward passes are just hit and hopes. He sort of doesn't care if they come off or not is the impression I get. I might be imagining some of this but that's the impression I come away with.

Can he turn it on again for Spurs? Yes, of course, he can. He is well motivated when playing for Denmark so it's still in his locker when he wants to do it. I get that resentment that is building against him for sub-par performances, I've called him out on it too, but if he signs a new deal I will be delighted. Players of his quality don't come along every day.

Last edited:
Nice free kick btw. If that is his parting gift then thanks and goodbye. He had a good game overall I thought, especially the 2nd half.

I don't think anyone could argue that he is not 400% focused on Spurs the way he used to be. And I don't even mean the tackles or lack of them, that was never his thing anyway. Two things that I see that are different are the number of times he takes the safe option, not always, but enough that I noticed it. That and his forward passes are just hit and hopes. He sort of doesn't care if they come off or not is the impression I get. I might be imagining some of this but that's the impression I come away with.

Can he turn it on again for Spurs? Yes, of course, he can. He is well motivated when playing for Denmark so it's still in his locker when he wants to do it. I get that resentment that is building against him for sub-par performances, I've called him out on it too, but if he signs a new deal I will be delighted. Players of his quality don't come along every day.

Before this season started I would have said the same thing, as that last year renewal was hanging in the air.

Eriksen has been our heavily burdened creative nexus for the whole of Poch's term. A fantastic player one who created great memories here, but his time here is over. That drive and spirit to make Spurs great I don't believe can be recovered.

As big a loss a player of his quality is, that has already happened this last year in terms of performances. We need to move on from him. That squad didn't win anything and it's now older and the manager changed.

I bear him no ill will, I don't mind him getting games and even starting but he's not our future and we need to accept that and move forward with new ideas.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

Before this season started I would have said the same thing, as that last year renewal was hanging in the air.

Eriksen has been our heavily burdened creative nexus for the whole of Poch's term. A fantastic player one who created great memories here, but his time here is over. That drive and spirit to make Spurs great I don't believe can be recovered.

As big a loss a player of his quality is, that has already happened this last year in terms of performances. We need to move on from him. That squad didn't win anything and it's now older and the manager changed.

I bear him no ill will, I don't mind him getting games and even starting but he's not our future and we need to accept that and move forward with new ideas.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk
If he's not our future then fine, I've made my peace with this, and I understand the relationship may have run its course. That is certainly the way it is looking for a while now.

I think the CL final loss was a real hammer blow to a lot of these players and it also meant the end of the road in their relationship with Poch. A 5-year project based on hard work but ultimately only near misses to show for it is hard to continue ad infinitum. Heartbreaking for all of us fans of course, but it must have really hit the players very very hard.

Can Eriksen fall in love with Spurs again now that Mourinho is here? My feeling would be no, but if he re-signs and turns it on again then all the recent poor performances will be forgiven because I'm a football slut.

Will JM flog him to death by playing him in his last game at Soton? Or will his final act for Spurs be his failure to beat the first man from our last second corner at Norwich? If it is the Norwich game that is his last appearance, that final cross will be a fitting epitaph- but such a shame for someone who once performed to fantastically for us. I will miss Eriksen Mk1. Eriksen Mk2, not so much.

Will JM flog him to death by playing him in his last game at Soton? Or will his final act for Spurs be his failure to beat the first man from our last second corner at Norwich? If it is the Norwich game that is his last appearance, that final cross will be a fitting epitaph- but such a shame for someone who once performed to fantastically for us. I will miss Eriksen Mk1. Eriksen Mk2, not so much.
Mourinho has said that he knows what will happen with him. He's doing a good job getting use out of Eriksen until something happen.

I'm guessing that if a move happens in January it will take a bit of time. Until something actually happens I'm guessing we'll need him from time to time at least.

Mourinho has said that he knows what will happen with him. He's doing a good job getting use out of Eriksen until something happen.

I'm guessing that if a move happens in January it will take a bit of time. Until something actually happens I'm guessing we'll need him from time to time at least.

I agree with that. Eriksen knows where he wants to go - question is whether those clubs want him. I could see him being at Spurs til june

Tottenham Star Tells Club He Wants January Exit, Serie A Giants In Pole

Follow @insidefutbol

Christian Eriksen has told Tottenham Hotspur that he wants to leave the club during the January transfer window with Inter in pole position to sign him, according to The Athletic.

The 27-year-old attacking midfielder is out of contract next summer and has refused to sign a new deal with the north London club.

Jose Mourinho has sounded cryptic about the possibility of the player staying at the club for the rest of the season and leaving on a free transfer at the end of the campaign.

But it seems Eriksen is in a hurry and Tottenham have been informed that the player wants to leave once the window opens on Wednesday.

The Dane has not been a regular starter this season, with Mourinho seemingly preparing for life after his departure well in advance.

Manchester United have been interested in signing him and he has also been linked with a move to Real Madrid.

But Serie A giants Inter are the ones leading the race to get their hands on Eriksen and a January move is seemingly on the cards.

Eriksen is believed to be keen on calling time on his time at Tottenham as early as January, rather than stretching the eventual goodbye until the summer.

Inter make contact with Eriksen's agent
05:152 hours ago
The Serie A club is prepared to wait for the summer with Spurs hoping to cash in now

Gianluca di Marzio says that Inter have made initial contact with the agents of Tottenham midfielder Christian Eriksen.

The Denmark international is out of contract in London at the end of the season, and is not expected to sign new terms.

The article suggests that the Italian side would prefer to get the player for free in the summer, while Tottenham would like to cash in on him, seeking around £17 million ($23m)

https://www.goal.com/en/news/live/transfer-news-and-rumours-live/1xi41rm1iebga1mhia628xjsyd

Back