• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Champions League 2016/17 - Group E: CSKA Moscow, Bayer Leverkusen, Monaco

I doubt it. The problem with playing at the Lane midweek was stopping works on the new stadium and making the areas around the ground safe meant that it would massively hamper progress. I don't think that the competition that we are playing in has much impact on that.
Or it might just have been about money.

Sold out alright! That means that Tottenham will now hold the all-time English attendance record for a home football match!
Assuming 95% of the ticket owners show up..... Unless we break with our usual tradition of basing attendance figures on actual numbers through the door and go with the Arsenal/West Ham method of instead using tickets sold, irrespective of whether or not they show up.

Assuming 95% of the ticket owners show up..... Unless we break with our usual tradition of basing attendance figures on actual numbers through the door and go with the Arsenal/West Ham method of instead using tickets sold, irrespective of whether or not they show up.

Wembley always announces attendance based on tickets issued.

It wasnt, we werent allowed to play at WHL with 30k and the work going on
There might have been complications with synchronising CL matches and the construction programme (although that hasn't stopped domestic matches) but the reduced capacity per se wouldn't have prevented us from playing at WHL.
Stadiums that hosted CL group stage matches last season:
Volkswagen Arena, Wolfsburg (capacity 26,000)
Petrovsky Stadium, St Petersburg (21,405)
Swedbank Stadion, Malmö (21,000)
Ghelamco Arena, Ghent (20,000)
Arena Khimki, Moscow (18,636)
Borisov Arena, Barysaw (13,126)

I think it must help with the construction just merely because of the extra gap between possible home fixtures.

Plus if Poch was consulted (appears to be on most matters these days), he may have thought it made sense as a kind of soft introduction to the whole wembley landscape for him and the team before we are committed to a whole season there. Rather than going in a newbies at the start of a league season.

Same for us fans too. A little trial to find our way in and out and around the behemoth.

That said, and this would never happen, but if we were to reach the semis (CL or EL) i would love the home leg played at the Lane one last send off for the old girl. Yids on the pylons, cranes, hoardings et al.

Another 100 or so seats released way up in the back rows just 15-20 mins ago. Only a few left now.

There might have been complications with synchronising CL matches and the construction programme (although that hasn't stopped domestic matches) but the reduced capacity per se wouldn't have prevented us from playing at WHL.

I think I remember reading somewhere that the reduced capacity meant that we wouldn't have been able to give all season ticket holders a seat.

Sponsor tickets, away tickets, and then the fact that perimeter LED advertising is taller for Champions League games meaning we would lose the first row or two of seats.

As with any issue, its a number of factors as mentioned by others but one of the main issues was that after discussion with UEFA it was decided that it would be impossible for TV access in the numbers they require for broadcast to make it work with all the construction space overlapping the ground. Think of all the trucks and equipment used for broadcast and how the access Worcester Road has now changed. Obviously the money at Wembley will have been a factor as well the reduced capacity and ticketing headaches. I would imagine that a factor also would have been getting the players used to training and playing at Wembley in preparation for the entire season in 2017/18 too. Once you add all these together it becomes easier to see why the club chose to do Wembley this season.

I would imagine that a factor also would have been getting the players used to training and playing at Wembley in preparation for the entire season in 2017/18 too.

This is a factor which hasn't been mentioned too often. It's not just the playing side of things that will benefit from the familiarity. All the other aspects of making Wembley feel like our home can be trialed.

Also, having the full capacity available will be a case study for negotiations with Brent Council for getting more games with the top tier open during the league season.

Phew .... tickets arrived today.

Still no "Welcome to new season" stuff. I know which I'm more bothered about

Delighted that we've sold out. hats of to everyone for not being put off by a draw which isn't glamorous by conventional definitions. And to Levy (or is it Wembley?) for charging a fair price that we could realistically sell.

Back