• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Berahino in January for £25m?

Berahino in January for £25m?

• Yes

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 63.8%

• Total voters
Can i just say that some of the debate in this thread has been excellent - well thought out and reasoned.

Far more civil than in some of the transfer discussion threads.

Oh and for the record i'm in the Levy camp. I scored for Levy not WBA. We had our valuation of the player, we had our payment structure that worked for us as a club. It obviously didn't match theirs - the deal didn't get done. Pretty much what happens with most transfer negotiations.

The only thing i could hold against Levy was whether he should have even bid officially at all. But even this i don't really hold against him because WBA were giving us the come on signs.

I think any analogy is flawed. Your house analogy is flawed because actually you've only got 2 years left on your lease, and your house has ambitions to be owned by a better owner.

Under the terms of the lease, even if hang on for two years, the value of my house still gets set by a tribunal, meaning that I would have two years additional usage and still get a sizable fee, unless it falls in to disrepair, which is a risk with every player.... I mean house.

Oh and for the record i'm in the Levy camp. I scored for Levy not WBA. We had our valuation of the player, we had our payment structure that worked for us as a club. It obviously didn't match theirs - the deal didn't get done. Pretty much what happens with most transfer negotiations.

If that was the case why not go in early with a decent bid that was maybe 5 mill less than what we prepared to pay, up it once to to our maximum evaluation and make it clear that this was a take it or leave it. If they still refused to play ball, just take the cards off the table and look to play another game somewhere else.

Why pussyfoot until the last afternoon??? The timeline negate your perceptions...

Under the terms of the lease, even if hang on for two years, the value of my house still gets set by a tribunal, meaning that I would have two years additional usage and still get a sizable fee, unless it falls in to disrepair, which is a risk with every player.... I mean house.
;)

Yes but you also have three other houses in the same street (strikers) that you cannot use all the time. I get your drift though, you're using an analogy to make a specific point about the negotiation which I get. I just don't agree. The crux is that one side says it was Levy that failed in coming to a resoution and another that is saying that it was Peace that was responsible for the transfer not going ahead. What I would do in that situation is different to what Peace would do and what Levy would do. A berahino is worth something different to the two of them and they couldn't find a middle ground. Hardly crime of the century. If Levy was panicked he would have done whatever it took, so he was not panicked. He showed a desire to get a deal done and it wasn't enough. Not the first time this will happen to a football chairman and it won't be the last. It's also not isolated to Levy as some (I don't think you) have made out.

Again, I don't get why there is such heavy criticism on this one transfer. Really simplistically we wanted to buy up to a certain price and it didn't happen because it was not good enough for WBA. People will say that it would have been good enough had the offer gone in a week early but that is an uneducated guess much like it is my uneducated guess that WBA would not have. I obviously believe mine has more grounding. There's theory and the real world, and I think the one side in particular is ignoring the complexity of transfer negotiations. But that's my view. If I only have net £10m to play with I'm dependent on player sales to make purchases and it stands to reason that if I make a sale after I have placed a bid for one player, it would give me the opportunity to place a better bid in the future as I had more to play with in the first place. In a world as complicated as football transfers, there will always be disagreements on price and payment terms, but the unprofessional thing to do is to air a transfer in public.

In my experience, the party that does all the bleating is the one that tends to have something to hide or deflect away from them or is the immature one. There is always a way through and a way to close a deal if both parties want it. When one party cries foul, it is nearly always because they hadn't done their homework properly. But that's my experience, and it seems that others have different experiences.

Exactly. My take on it is Peace overvalued Berahino (no one was willing to pay his price) and he was annoyed that all his attempts to get that massive pay day have been thwarted. We underestimated what it would take to get Berahino. An inability to get a deal over the line. Nothing to do with tactics but purely down to the fact that we were not prepared to pay what they wanted. If we were prepared to pay, we would have offered it. If we were desperate we would have offered more.
We did offer it.... Right at the end of the window!... Too late to make it worth WBA's while.

If that was the case why not go in early with a decent bid that was maybe 5 mill less than what we prepared to pay, up it once to to our maximum evaluation and make it clear that this was a take it or leave it. If they still refused to play ball, just take the cards off the table and look to play another game somewhere else.

Why pussyfoot until the last afternoon??? The timeline negate your perceptions...

What is early though?

Maybe we didn't value him that highly and he was 3rd or 4th on our list. In which case this is supported by both the perceived low offer and the fact that it was in August. Incidentally according to WBA we made 2 bids in August, one mid the other a week later. For all we know the 2nd was our 'final' offer. Again by WBA's statement there was still a lot of to-ing and fro-ing right up until the deadline.

For all we know there were probably encouraging us to make another offer. Which we did but it still wasn't enough.

Levy has showed in the past he is willing to pay big money to secure a player e.g. Bentley, Bent, Dembele (paid upfront). (although in hindsight he probably should have coughed up 25m for Schneiderlin last year. Although at the time i thought that was way too much.)

Nail on head. It's just double standards all round. As I say, when there is doubt as to what really happens, I feel that Levy deserves the benefit of the doubt on the basis that he has actually overseen a very successful transfer strategy for the club, and has actually proven that he knows how to improve the club.

I know @DubaiSpur agrees with this on the whole but believes that we could have got there quicker by taking a few more risks. Fair enough, but there is no precedent for this, so it is hard to prove one way or another. @Robspur12 has put forward what he thinks Levy could do better as well, and again I respect that, but disagree.

However, for the most part, everyone else that has been critical has completely bought into the fact that Levy has been derogatory in his dealing with WBA i.e. they are believing the old "Oh woah is me" charade that Peace has put out. Why, because it fits into the media impression of Levy.

I'm inclined to agree with this. I've mentioned before how strange this WBA farce seems as a whole, and I don't think we should read too much into what Peace or his employees say about how we conducted ourselves given how contradictory the whole affair seems to have been (from Pulis wanting Berahino out, to Peace doing his 'will he/won't he' game, to Berahino himself seemingly ready for a new Brom contract in July but wanting out by August).

Yes, I'm in general agreement with the idea that we mucked up again when it comes to when we began the process - earlier negotiations could perhaps have delivered better results, and a larger bid put in at the start could have eased the difficulties involved in the proposed deal. But I don't think we should blame Levy for how it ended, when there are so many inexplicably self-defeating and obviously illogical/untrustworthy elements emerging in West Brom's story with every passing day. Schneiderlin, Moutinho, Nelsen/Saha...there are enough farces to be justifiably critical of without bringing this one up.

Plus, we were seemingly willing to go into the red (if only for a temporary period until January/the summer) to secure a priority target the manager wanted. That's progress in my book, not degradation.

We did offer it.... Right at the end of the window!... Too late to make it worth WBA's while.

That is an assumption and we only have press reports to suggest that £25m was the acceptable number and indeed that is what we bid on the last day. Truth is none of us know and only Peace and Levy do.

I'm inclined to agree with this. I've mentioned before how strange this WBA farce seems as a whole, and I don't think we should read too much into what Peace or his employees say about how we conducted ourselves given how contradictory the whole affair seems to have been (from Pulis wanting Berahino out, to Peace doing his 'will he/won't he' game, to Berahino himself seemingly ready for a new Brom contract in July but wanting out by August).

Yes, I'm in general agreement with the idea that we mucked up again when it comes to when we began the process - earlier negotiations could perhaps have delivered better results, and a larger bid put in at the start could have eased the difficulties involved in the proposed deal. But I don't think we should blame Levy for how it ended, when there are so many inexplicably self-defeating and obviously illogical/untrustworthy elements emerging in West Brom's story with every passing day. Schneiderlin, Moutinho, Nelsen/Saha...there are enough farces to be justifiably critical of without bringing this one up.

Plus, we were seemingly willing to go into the red (if only for a temporary period until January/the summer) to secure a priority target the manager wanted. That's progress in my book, not degradation.
I think that by and large I agree with you on this one. I think my main frustration is due to the fact that Berahino has been the striker that I have wanted at Spurs since before last season and it may be that we don't get another chance to bring him in.

I think that by and large I agree with you on this one. I think my main frustration is due to the fact that Berahino has been the striker that I have wanted at Spurs since before last season and it may be that we don't get another chance to bring him in.

Remmember that's what many of us thought with Soldado.

The interesting thing is how do you do the transfer now. Theoretically we should bid less as the player wants out, he is running down his contract in the summer only a year left.
However i imagine if Levy calls and says the price is now 20mil for example it will all kick off again. Pearce really has dug himself into a hole if for no other reason that in 18months berahino can go for nothing.

Only resolution is that berahino signs a contract extension with a release clause that tottenham have pre-agreed to.

Back