• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Berahino in January for £25m?

Berahino in January for £25m?

• Yes

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 63.8%

• Total voters
The house in this analogy - did it become disruptive in the neighbourhood and say it would no longer open its doors?

P.S. Not trying to be facetious but it was a factor.

Last edited:
There is another thing that nobody has commented upon... why do we have a deadline day drama practically every year... Berahino; Bale two years ago; Moutinho the year before that; Modric; Lloris; Berbatov to Man Utd.... No other club I can recollect has such a record.

Not so much about Levy but how its easy to only see our side

So Real, and Man Utd both didnt sort our their transfer business early on those occasions? No different to us with Berahino except we failed at 12.01 they succeeded at 11.59 (not actual before everyone jumps on it)

Chelsea failed to get John Stones their number 1 target and sold one of best goalkeepers in world to a direct rival and were exposed with a early red to courtouis. They also failed to get a backup striker when there number 1 talisman has a long standing injury

Man Utd spent a laughable amount of money on the last day, on a player who has played about 12 senior games. Didnt resolve any defensive issues, and managed to both fail to sell their number 1 keeper, whilst not buying a backup, annoying Real and player and who they will now get no money for.

Arsenal once again just didnt bother whilst they also have one striker and are obviously short in exactly the same areas

Real Madrid failed to get there number one goalkeeper and number one target

Emirates Marketing Project - probably had a good window

So its not just us.

So Real, and Man Utd both didnt sort our their transfer business early on those occasions? No different to us with Berahino except we failed at 12.01 they succeeded at 11.59 (not actual before everyone jumps on it)

Chel53a failed to get John Stones their number 1 target and sold one of best goalkeepers in world to a direct rival and were exposed with a early red to courtouis. They also failed to get a backup striker when there number 1 talisman has a long standing injury

Man Utd spent a laughable amount of money on the last day, on a player who has played about 12 senior games. Didnt resolve any defensive issues, and managed to both fail to sell their number 1 keeper, whilst not buying a backup, annoying Real and player and who they will now get no money for.

Ar5ena1 once again just didnt bother whilst they also have one striker and are obviously short in exactly the same areas

So its not just us.

I just know what the reaction would have been on here if we had signed players like Papy Djilobodji and Michael Hector on transfer deadline day.

The addition to that analogy is that on receiving the first bid not only do you say "you are mad" but you also take a full page advert in the newspaper to say that you have refused the offer on the basis of the valuation being too low and the fact that he was paying in installments that you did not like, whilst at the same time saying the house is not for sale.

If the negotiation had occurred like your analogy, then we wouldn't be talking about it as we just never would have known that a bid went in.

The other bit of your analogy is that where I would be, perhaps because I am proactive, is that when said person comes in with an offer and says he is interested in my property and I have refused it on the basis that I want a higher amount, I would start looking at other properties that I could do with it so that I can get on the front foot and not lose any time on finding the best deals. If there was a deadline to a transaction, that would make me want to do that research even more especially if it means I could get something that I previously thought was out of my reach.

Bringing that analogy to the reality (!!), WBA didn't want to sell. If they really did want to strengthen other areas of the team, they would have done the research. Ultimately we didn't meet their valuation, they got tinkleed and unprofessional about it and we didn't buy.

@indianspur - There was one point about payment structure that you rightly pointed out there were differences in the relative players. I see what you are saying, but again I don't see how proposing a payment structure that was similar to one they had proposed is a wrong starting point. That is all a negotiation is. The insinuation here is that Levy was wrong to suggest payment structures purely on the basis of what WBA have said. No credit is given for the fact that Levy's payment structures change and tend to suit the selling club and he has managed to negotiate a number of transfers with plenty of time. My real issue is that people here are taking WBA for their word and using it to criticise a chairman who has shown that he can be quite flexible with payment terms.

I was pro active I managed to Identify the house in the other area of London that I wanted (to rent out) and the holiday home as well. I put the advert in the paper when the first bid came in to see if others would be interested at the inflated fee of 25m which would have allowed me to get the two properties that I wanted. Unfortunately by the time a bid for that amount came in, the two properties that I wanted were off the market (sold, not enough time to complete the deal etc). So I settled for my orginal plan of renting the existing property out.

The house in this analogy - did it become disruptive in the neighbourhood and say it would no longer open its doors?

P.S. Not trying to be facetious but it was a factor.

I found out that the house may need a bit of work to be in rental condition, this was unexpected, but I'm confident it will be providing some rental income soon.

I was pro active I managed to Identify the house in the other area of London that I wanted (to rent out) and the holiday home as well. I put the advert in the paper when the first bid came in to see if others would be interested at the inflated fee of 25m which would have allowed me to get the two properties that I wanted. Unfortunately by the time a bid for that amount came in, the two properties that I wanted were off the market (sold, not enough time to complete the deal etc). So I settled for my orginal plan of renting the existing property out.

I think there is no evidence to suggest that WBA had identified other targets. They said as much themselves.

The analogy is more akin to you not knowing what your price was, expecting to be the centre of attention by going to the press both radio, internet and tv, wanting to preside over a bidding war for your house which you think is amazing but actually only one other person wants to buy it and you throwing your toys out of the pram because no-one thinks your house is worth what you think it is. You invited 19 other people to your party and one person turned up with a cheaper gift than you thought. Guess you didn't realise how popular you really were.

There is another thing that nobody has commented upon... why do we have a deadline day drama practically every year... Berahino; Bale two years ago; Moutinho the year before that; Modric; Lloris; Berbatov to Man Utd.... No other club I can recollect has such a record.

Chel53a failed to get John Stones their number 1 target and sold one of best goalkeepers in world to a direct rival and were exposed with a early red to courtouis. They also failed to get a backup striker when there number 1 talisman has a long standing injury

Ar5ena1 once again just didnt bother whilst they also have one striker and are obviously short in exactly the same areas

So its not just us.

And Man United managed to get their replacements done without having an official bid lodged.

I think there is no evidence to suggest that WBA had identified other targets. They said as much themselves.

The analogy is more akin to you not knowing what your price was, expecting to be the centre of attention by going to the press both radio, internet and tv, wanting to preside over a bidding war for your house which you think is amazing but actually only one other person wants to buy it and you throwing your toys out of the pram because no-one thinks your house is worth what you think it is. You invited 19 other people to your party and one person turned up with a cheaper gift than you thought. Guess you didn't realise how popular you really were.

Most likely Pulis would call some of his agent buddies and ask what he can get for whatever amount of money is at his disposal.

From what I read they identified targets to upgrade areas of the squad (this was the main reason pulis wanted to sell) the reasons why they didn't advertise these should be quite obvious (because of the disruption to players already in that position).

Birthday party analogy is just rubbish, it has nothing to do with buying and selling.

Plus 4 people turned up to my party so there. :)

Most likely Pulis would call some of his agent buddies and ask what he can get for whatever amount of money is at his disposal.

Exactly. My take on it is Peace overvalued Berahino (no one was willing to pay his price) and he was annoyed that all his attempts to get that massive pay day have been thwarted. We underestimated what it would take to get Berahino. An inability to get a deal over the line. Nothing to do with tactics but purely down to the fact that we were not prepared to pay what they wanted. If we were prepared to pay, we would have offered it. If we were desperate we would have offered more.

From what I read they identified targets to upgrade areas of the squad (this was the main reason pulis wanted to sell) the reasons why they didn't advertise these should be quite obvious (because of the disruption to players already in that position).

Birthday party analogy is just rubbish, it has nothing to do with buying and selling.

Plus 4 people turned up to my party so there. :)

Sorry let me change the party analogy to an auction. You invited loads of people to an auction for your house, one person interested, didn't bid what you wanted, so you throw your toys out of the pram and withdraw your house from the auction.

There was only 1 person that turned up and you know it! There was someone who tentatively accepted but he only came to the door to see who else was there and realised it was better off if he went somewhere abroad and got some overpriced French totty instead. Can show off better to his mates that way. ;)

Oh and if they had identified other targets, the excuse that they didn't have time to pursue is weakened......

Exactly. My take on it is Peace overvalued Berahino (no one was willing to pay his price) and he was annoyed that all his attempts to get that massive pay day have been thwarted. We underestimated what it would take to get Berahino. An inability to get a deal over the line. Nothing to do with tactics but purely down to the fact that we were not prepared to pay what they wanted. If we were prepared to pay, we would have offered it. If we were desperate we would have offered more.

But as I understand it we were prepared to pay, just to late in the day to make it worthwhile for him to sell.

To leave it that late an still get the deal done we would have to offered stupid money, not the 25m that would have been accepted a week before.... We would have to have offered 35m+ which would have stupid.

Sorry let me change the party analogy to an auction. You invited loads of people to an auction for your house, one person interested, didn't bid what you wanted, so you throw your toys out of the pram and withdraw your house from the auction.

There was only 1 person that turned up and you know it! There was someone who tentatively accepted but he only came to the door to see who else was there and realised it was better off if he went somewhere abroad and got some overpriced French totty instead. Can show off better to his mates that way. ;)

Auction is flawed as it infers me actively trying to sell, no what I was doing was seeing if i could get over market value and invest in other areas. If I couldnt get over market value, then i would rent the house out, which was my original plan.

But as I understand it we were prepared to pay, just to late in the day to make it worthwhile for him to sell.

To leave it that late an still get the deal done we would have to offered stupid money, not the 25m that would have been accepted a week before.... We would have to have offered 35m+ which would have stupid.

I think that's the crux. I don't think that the WBA statement suggests that it was an acceptable figure. I think it suggested we were closer on price, not on payment terms and then added in the fact that they had no time to look at other players (which I think is gonad*s as they obviously did). They had obviously geared towards selling Berahino, much like we were expecting offers for Lloris. I'm sure we have a list of keepers that we would go after just in case we get a bid that is too good to turn down. Otherwise what do our transfer committee and scouts do all year?

Auction is flawed as it infers me actively trying to sell, no what I was doing was seeing if i could get over market value and invest in other areas. If I couldnt get over market value, then i would rent the house out, which was my original plan.

I think any analogy is flawed. Your house analogy is flawed because actually you've only got 2 years left on your lease, and your house has ambitions to be owned by a better owner.

Back