• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: ***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

You do yourselves no favours with that comment. How often have 'showers of ****e' been second in the league and two points off top spot??? The arrogance of some on here towards Liverpool just boggles the mind.

Mate, you misunderstand the reference was not a footballing one, more a reference to the whole fooking club, fan entitlement ethos. A team who I hate with a passion.

I sensed he did not have a clue when he took off Soldado against City.

People want to sack AVB but then hire Lambert????
What with all the spanking HE has overseen??
With the way HE chose not to play experienced players like Bent, Dunne and Ireland?
You honestly think he can manage this squad?

Post that suggestion to AVB; he'd probably resign himself hearing it.

Wow

It was 1 person who suggested it. You are talking like its 50% of the forum.

Lambert could have easily signed a bunch of has beens or decent (older) players that could have got Villa mid table and nothing would have been said...but he took a gamble with lower league youngsters in order for Villa as a club to grow..even when he's not there. He thought less of himself and more for the club which is very rare in this profession. The gamble hasn't really paid off but a few years of struggle whilst the kids are getting used to the league followed by the potential of some very successful years when they are in their prime was more appealing then years and years and years of mediocracy with no growth.

I get what he's doing and why, but he's not that different to AVB. Villa have no idea on how to take charge of a game and they more often than not look completely useless, especially at home.

Re: @ BrainOfLevy and GutterBoy

I like you two and respect your opinions but can you please try and justify that performance? AVB still a ****ing genius?

It's just you told me that he had this grand masterplan where we would up the tempo in big games and that conserving our energy against lesser sides would result in us playing better against better teams. Didn't see that today. What I saw was us getting battered for 90 minutes by a team with energy and finesse. A team that actually play football, rather than put a load of athletes out on the pitch so try and hit long shots in for us.

Got shot down a few weeks back for having the dare to suggest that Liverpool, Arsenal and Everton are better than us and will do better this season. Please, convince me that I am still wrong...

If we sack AVB now, we're just falling back into the same cycle we've been in for more than 20 years. In 2 years time we'll be back in exactly the same place, only with 15 different players and lots of wasted time and money.

Something has been rotten at the core of our club and has been for decades. Structural problems, mental problems etc. For the first time in my life I feel we are actually starting to address these.

Let the guy implement his vision. It won't be a smooth ride, but then it wasn't at the start for Ferguson, Wenger, Burkinshaw, even Bill Nich etc.

I'm happy to foresake a bit of instant gratification if the end point is going to be us challenging for major honours again.

Plus, all the alternatives at this point in time are pretty dire.

I sensed he did not have a clue when he took off Soldado against City.

He substitutions are usually inexplicable. The only reason two of them weren't today is because we got 2 players injured

Mate, you misunderstand the reference was not a footballing one, more a reference to the whole fooking club, fan entitlement ethos. A team who I hate with a passion.

Oh I hate them too!! But from a football perspective they are a good side; how they have caught up and overtaken us mirrors what we did to them in summer 2009 onwards.
They had the same attitude towards us then as we now seem to have towards them. Losing against them is damning but not as damning as getting outplayed by a West Ham, Sunderland etc.

I still feel the West Ham game was much more damning

People want to sack AVB but then hire Lambert????
What with all the spanking HE has overseen??
With the way HE chose not to play experienced players like Bent, Dunne and Ireland?
You honestly think he can manage this squad?

Post that suggestion to AVB; he'd probably resign himself hearing it.

Wow

Mate I think you are being unfair, he has brought through youth players so as would be expected, his results are inconsistent. My Villa supporting mate says that he didn't play the senior players (add Given to that list) because they were signed on huge wages many of which were related to the number of games played. At least the man has gone about learning football in the traditional way i.e. at grass roots instead of being parachuted in from one grand job to another.

I think the job he did at Norwich was absolutely spectacular...such an achievement to do what he did there.

At Villa he hasn't really been the same. At Norwich his USP seemed to be about major tactical flexibility, changing formations completely
within a game to exploit space and confuse the opposition. At Villa he is much more rigid in that sense and sticks to one way, and we hasn't generated the same level of over performance. I'm not sure why he's gone about it that way but perhaps he's trying to show he's a top club manager that can build a system and all that tactical flexibility can only be done midtable when you're a surprise package and don't have to play against bus parking sides every week..:i dunno, it hasn't really worked at Villa but he was huge at Norwich.

It's not just about ability and ideas. AVB has marvelous ideas, but it's about time. And at Spurs, you don't get the time. AVB will, if he's really really lucky, get until the end of the season (even though I don't think he's lucky enough to get it!)…the question is whether he would ever be able to get his ideas across. There is no chance Lambert would last at this club, the hounds would be baying for his blood too soon.

I see it as every time we have sacked a manager we have progressed whether it be breaking into the top 5, getting champions league football or getting record points total.

If we sack AVB now, we're just falling back into the same cycle we've been in for more than 20 years. In 2 years time we'll be back in exactly the same place, only with 15 different players and lots of wasted time and money.

Something has been rotten at the core of our club and has been for decades. Structural problems, mental problems etc. For the first time in my life I feel we are actually starting to address these.

Let the guy implement his vision. It won't be a smooth ride, but then it wasn't at the start for Ferguson, Wenger, Burkinshaw, even Bill Nich etc.

I'm happy to foresake a bit of instant gratification if the end point is going to be us challenging for major honours again.

You simply can't build a 'vision' tho when your chairman sells your best players every summer tho.

Re: @ BrainOfLevy and GutterBoy

Or is it just that finding the right man for the job is harder than we, the fans, think?

You simply can't build a 'vision' tho when your chairman sells your best players every summer tho.

The vision should include a way of minimizing the impact losing your best players have. Do you seriously believe Levy WANTS to sell them?

I agree to a point but what are the actual viable alternatives. That's the issue I have with the sack Avb phalanx.... Its easy to sack him as quite simply we have had some shocking results but where does that leave us.... In search of a new manager/back room team mid season in a very small market with the potential to strengthen in January (of that's deemed to be necessary)

Alternatively back him till the end d the season.... We ain't gonna get relegate and we may not even get Europe but who really gives a **** about the Europa anyway. Let's see what he does achieve by that point

Levy IMO is in a no win situation as whatever way it goes the fans will not be happy IMO

The vision should include a way of minimizing the impact losing your best players have. Do you seriously believe Levy WANTS to sell them?

Yes I do. Modric had 4 years left on his contract bale 3. There was no reason to sell what so ever bit he did. The mans a leach.

I agree to a point but what are the actual viable alternatives. That's the issue I have with the sack Avb phalanx.... Its easy to sack him as quite simply we have had some shocking results but where does that leave us.... In search of a new manager/back room team mid season in a very small market with the potential to strengthen in January (of that's deemed to be necessary)

Alternatively back him till the end d the season.... We ain't gonna get relegate and we may not even get Europe but who really gives a **** about the Europa anyway. Let's see what he does achieve by that point

Levy IMO is in a no win situation as whatever way it goes the fans will not be happy IMO

my biggest concern is "who" is the replacement
but my problem is not the results in isolation - its that i don't see what we are trying to achieve with our play, and i don't think the players do either
tactically we are easy to play against and easy to beat and rarely look like beating anyone
and i don't see that changing

Back