• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: ***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

Get a new manager in while there is still a chance of finishing in top 4. Just because fans on a football forum can't think of an alternative does not mean there isn't one. I have no sympathy for AVB been given an opportunity to manage a truly great club, then showered with more money than any of his predecessors yet produced a team that struggles to muster any notable goal scoring opportunity. It's laughable this man is paid 3m a year. AVB ranks as Levy's greatest mistake for me and I love Levy.

Agree - preference is to get the new man in asap. Next best is to get rid of him and now and then Freund to manage for a few weeks. We just cannot continue with this idoit in charge any longer. As you say, he's not remotely close to doing his job up to expectations

A DoF is in theory meant to reduce the churn of players when a manager does. I dont see the fact that Badlini came in changes things

Not that Baldini would have had time to make any long term plans this summer, but there will be times when the players we have aren't of the required quality to achieve the targets we set. We saw it with both Arnesen and Comolli, they had to make a lot of upgrades in a very short time at certain points and we suffered short term in order to gain later.

Keeping him in will not only blow our chance of a top 4 finish but we are potentially blowing the 3 cups we are still in.

Ehh?? What makes you think he'd be better than AVB? In fact what makes you think he WONT be far worse??

First step is get rid of AVB; Freund is naturally the interim til the new guy comes in. Am not saying that Freund is the long term solution but we just cannot continue with AVB

Get a new manager in while there is still a chance of finishing in top 4. Just because fans on a football forum can't think of an alternative does not mean there isn't one. I have no sympathy for AVB been given an opportunity to manage a truly great club, then showered with more money than any of his predecessors yet produced a team that struggles to muster any notable goal scoring opportunity. It's laughable this man is paid 3m a year. AVB ranks as Levy's greatest mistake for me and I love Levy.

Unless Levy or the board can think of a viable alternative who is willing to come and manage us RIGHT NOW then it would be pointless to sack him. That's the truth and how Levy will likely operate at this point. It's not like we are relegation fodder yet..

I kind of think we missed the boat when it comes to getting a new manager in, not that I think AVB is/was a bad choice but we made our bed and we should lie in it.

A couple of years back there was Rodgers and Martinez getting clear over-performance from teams in this league, Paul Lambert doing excellently with Norwich and AVB was making waves with Porto. Now there isn't anyone pulling up the trees to such an extent that we should snap them up...Potchettino maybe but if there was a vacancy now it would be too soon for him at us I reckon.

We have AVB, he has some talent. I think the players like him and a lot of management is being in the right situation at the right time, combined with talent. Rodgers wasn't great with Watford and Reading but Swansea was a good home for him.

We have done what we can to make Spurs a good home for AVB and I think we need to be brave and see it through. There really is no one else.

But if we are going to sack him, I think Paul Lambert would be a smart choice. What he did with Norwich was absolutely outstanding, and I don't think Villa is conducive to anyone showing what they are really capable of. I think he would be a smart pick up because maybe we need someone that has generated some sort of success in this league. Whether he would work with Baldini is another matter though.

...yeah I still back AVB.

Ehh?? What makes you think he'd be better than AVB? In fact what makes you think he WONT be far worse??

quite often WHO replaces is irrelevant - its the actual change itself that is needed to boost the players and fans alike
its clear the players done understand what they are doing in the formation or how it will work and achieve results

a change is needed

First step is get rid of AVB; Freund is naturally the interim til the new guy comes in. Am not saying that Freund is the long term solution but we just cannot continue with AVB

Freund could easily make us lose 8 or 9-0 to the Liverpools and Emirates Marketing Project and then perhaps make us lose the games against the likes of Sunderland and Fulham...what then?? We could be even worse before said new manager comes in...and the pool we could attract could get ever smaller...no we keep AVB until we have someone lined up take over permanently. The idea that Freund would get better results than the current manager is based on nothing but the fact he clearly loves us

Agree - preference is to get the new man in asap. Next best is to get rid of him and now and then Freund to manage for a few weeks. We just cannot continue with this idoit in charge any longer. As you say, he's not remotely close to doing his job up to expectations

In my opinion mate we will regret not getting rid. We have a great squad certainly as good bar Suarez as that shower of ****e that humiliated us today. We need someone who can get the best out of them and there is still a chance of top 4 with this squad imo. I think AVB will go soon as Levy will know this.

Not that Baldini would have had time to make any long term plans this summer, but there will be times when the players we have aren't of the required quality to achieve the targets we set. We saw it with both Arnesen and Comolli, they had to make a lot of upgrades in a very short time at certain points and we suffered short term in order to gain later.

Agreed...whoever came in would have a great squad that's largely more settled into the country, and they'd reap that reward. Might as well keep with AVB and get as far as we can with him IMO.

The thing that annoys me about targets in business and in sport is, they are obviously great to give some structure and direction, but considering what happened at our club there's no way of knowing if top 4 this year was realistic considering the scale of the change we enacted. A club attempting to take such a giant step up at the same time as selling their best player had never really done it this way before.

It may be that this season needs to be painful to allow us next season to make the step ups we did previously.

Unless Levy or the board can think of a viable alternative who is willing to come and manage us RIGHT NOW then it would be pointless to sack him. That's the truth and how Levy will likely operate at this point. It's not like we are relegation fodder yet..

Have you never encountered Levy before. He sacked Redknapp after finishing 5th! He didnt give Jol or Ramos the full season? Why would he do so with AVB?

@ BrainOfLevy and GutterBoy

I like you two and respect your opinions but can you please try and justify that performance? AVB still a ****ing genius?

It's just you told me that he had this grand masterplan where we would up the tempo in big games and that conserving our energy against lesser sides would result in us playing better against better teams. Didn't see that today. What I saw was us getting battered for 90 minutes by a team with energy and finesse. A team that actually play football, rather than put a load of athletes out on the pitch so try and hit long shots in for us.

Got shot down a few weeks back for having the dare to suggest that Liverpool, Arsenal and Everton are better than us and will do better this season. Please, convince me that I am still wrong...

quite often WHO replaces is irrelevant - its the actual change itself that is needed to boost the players and fans alike
its clear the players done understand what they are doing in the formation or how it will work and achieve results

a change is needed

The actual change can make us worse....remember Pleat??? We are not THAT bad yet...

Perhaps it's just clear that Emirates Marketing Project and Liverpool are better than us right now? If we lost limply like we did to a team like West Ham again then fair enough, but this thing about players not understanding what they are doing makes the performances at Sunderland and against Anzhi seem like they never happened. Even the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game had it's positives

Have you never encountered Levy before. He sacked Redknapp after finishing 5th! He didnt give Jol or Ramos the full season? Why would he do so with AVB?

Because there is no one else out there... thats simply my view.

He won't imo AVB is a goner - while there is a chance of finishing 4th we would be stupid to do anything else. We are certainly not going to finish there with him in charge.

I kind of think we missed the boat when it comes to getting a new manager in, not that I think AVB is/was a bad choice but we made our bed and we should lie in it.

A couple of years back there was Rodgers and Martinez getting clear over-performance from teams in this league, Paul Lambert doing excellently with Norwich and AVB was making waves with Porto. Now there isn't anyone pulling up the trees to such an extent that we should snap them up...Potchettino maybe but if there was a vacancy now it would be too soon for him at us I reckon.

We have AVB, he has some talent. I think the players like him and a lot of management is being in the right situation at the right time, combined with talent. Rodgers wasn't great with Watford and Reading but Swansea was a good home for him.

We have done what we can to make Spurs a good home for AVB and I think we need to be brave and see it through. There really is no one else.

But if we are going to sack him, I think Paul Lambert would be a smart choice. What he did with Norwich was absolutely outstanding, and I don't think Villa is conducive to anyone showing what they are really capable of. I think he would be a smart pick up because maybe we need someone that has generated some sort of success in this league. Whether he would work with Baldini is another matter though.

...yeah I still back AVB.

I was with you until the bolded bit:eek:

But I now see where you ended up...

He didn't sack Redknapp for finishing 4th or 5th and he gave Jol far longer than I would have. Ramos, there's not a chairman out there that would have given him the full season at that point.

Back