• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: ***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

I see it as every time we have sacked a manager we have progressed whether it be breaking into the top 5, getting champions league football or getting record points total.

Im not using this as a Harry 'lover' but we have not progressed since Harry left. We may have a better squad but thats what 100m does

Yes I do. Modric had 4 years left on his contract bale 3. There was no reason to sell what so ever bit he did. The mans a leach.

£90m was a reason to sell. No one would reject that outside of the rich clubs.

Yes I do. Modric had 4 years left on his contract bale 3. There was no reason to sell what so ever bit he did. The mans a leach.

When the players start to sulk, their agents leaking stories, refusing to play and an offer comes in that exceeds their actual value, sometimes you have to sell. He hasn't taken any of that money out of the club, it's all been reinvested.

Levy has to foot some blame in this shambles he hires and fires .. How many managers in his tenure ? Plus he has a track record of selling our better players who's it going to be this summer.

Levy has to foot some blame in this shambles he hires and fires .. How many managers in his tenure ? Plus he has a track record of selling our better players who's it going to be this summer.

I'd say we're about average in manager turnover during Levy's time. Track record of buying talent that turns into superstars? There are worse things.

Re: @ BrainOfLevy and GutterBoy

If we sack AVB now, we're just falling back into the same cycle we've been in for more than 20 years. In 2 years time we'll be back in exactly the same place, only with 15 different players and lots of wasted time and money.

Something has been rotten at the core of our club and has been for decades. Structural problems, mental problems etc. For the first time in my life I feel we are actually starting to address these.

Let the guy implement his vision. It won't be a smooth ride, but then it wasn't at the start for Ferguson, Wenger, Burkinshaw, even Bill Nich etc.

I'm happy to foresake a bit of instant gratification if the end point is going to be us challenging for major honours again.

Plus, all the alternatives at this point in time are pretty dire.

First two paragraphs, in complete agreement.

Don't agree with the rest. I admire the likes of you and BOL for being so patient, but I just think your views are balanced. What if AVB's vision isn't the answer? What makes you think he'll even be half as successful as the likes of Wenger and Ferguson? He's never managed at any club for more than 2 seasons. His style of play is boring, slow and the complete opposite of creative.

It genuinely seems to me like you believe that if we sack a manager, bring someone else in and that manager brings us success then you will still believe that AVB would have done it anyway despite the evidence proving otherwise. Enough about this so called genius book of his and the success in a two team league in Portugal. Won't be a smooth ride? 3-0, 6-0 and 5-0 in a matter of weeks is a 10,000 feet plummet in turbulence. Just exactly how long would you give him? Let's say we finish 8th this season below teams with inferior squads? Do you think that is acceptable?

Last edited:

So far as I was aware Lambert had to not play the senior players because they were on bonus' for number of games played and the board couldn't afford to pay them. As a result he was forced into his current position. i'm not overly keen on the idea of him taking over but only because of Villa's inconsistency. They do play some very eye catching football at times. On that note I do wonder when we will start to play eye catching football. Even the bottom teams have passing phases where the ball zips about and they slice open a defence, it's annoying that we don't seem to do that. I'm hoping that with Paulinho's ban and Eriksen coming back we may start passing it about again.

£90m was a reason to sell. No one would reject that outside of the rich clubs.
What's the point of having 90mill if you're just gonna reinvest it in inferior players tho? We don't have anyone in our squad anywhere close to the level of modric bale or vdv

It'll be vertonghen Sandro and lloris this summer IMO. Last ten years managers have come and gone the one constant has been mr levy and him selling our best players.

What's the point of having 90mill if you're just gonna reinvest it in inferior players tho? We don't have anyone in our squad anywhere close to the level of modric bale or vdv

But we now have players who are much better than Parker, Huddlestone, Livermore, Dempsey, Caulker.

I'd say we're about average in manager turnover during Levy's time. Track record of buying talent that turns into superstars? There are worse things.
Yes true. So we settle for being a stepping stone fine but we will forever be in a circle of managers and Selling our stars. So we as fans will have to accept that then ?

Under AVB we have been average at best the past season and a half we were Baled out last year.
If we are to be the feeder club we need to see some good football and win the odd pot and at least kid ourselves we can challenge at the sharp end .

It'll be vertonghen Sandro and lloris this summer IMO. Last ten years managers have come and gone the one constant has been mr levy and him selling our best players.

actually, the one constant has been us not making the champions lge and "world class" players in our squad sulking and manufacturing a move away, including one season where we did play hard ball (with Modric), which disrupted part of our season

my biggest concern is "who" is the replacement
but my problem is not the results in isolation - its that i don't see what we are trying to achieve with our play, and i don't think the players do either
tactically we are easy to play against and easy to beat and rarely look like beating anyone
and i don't see that changing

Again I agree 100%. If we sacked Avb I wouldn't have a clue of who is really a genuine gettable viable alternative... Let's not forget plenty of people would have took Moyes and I think he is incredibly similar to AvB, likewise Martinez was an option but its early days for him at Eveton but he has had an impressive start

Biesla is the only one that stands out for me in that he is available and plays a very astute game, but he does remind me of an older Avb

Yes true. So we settle for being a stepping stone fine but we will forever be in a circle of managers and Selling our stars. So we as fans will have to accept that then ?

Under AVB we have been average at best the past season and a half we were Baled out last year.
If we are to be the feeder club we need to see some good football and win the odd pot and at least kid ourselves we can challenge at the sharp end .

Unless a billionaire decides to make us his next toy, yes.

Not sure wheather a new manager is what we need but how many times will AVb try sandro, dembele & Paulinho in the same lineup?! Never seen them work well together need a holtby, Eriksen or Sigurdson in there. It's not that he makes mistakes it's that he doesn't appear to learn from his mistakes which annoys me. I put this down to a bit of arrogance that he appears to have.

As i said in another post, you won't be able to get players of their ability without offering either considerable wages or another good reason, one we don't have. In Eriksen and Lamela you have two young footballers with plently of talent who given time could become that level, and for a club like us, it's the best we can hope for. VdV was a strange one, a last minute deal that the man you hate (Levy) pulled off at the 11th hour, due to no one else picking him up off Real. I think Harry said that Levy phoned him and said "do you want VdV", Harry said yes and VdV turned up the next day. He wasn't a Harry request and I think at the time, Harry was slightly peeved because he didn't know quite what to do with him.

Unless a billionaire decides to make us his next toy, yes.

I acknowledge that fact so the least we can ask for is some good football and a bit of hope but that's gone with AVB and his time in charge it's utter filth on the pitch he needs to go.

I acknowledge that fact so the least we can ask for is some good football and a bit of hope but that's gone with AVB and his time in charge it's utter filth on the pitch he needs to go.

Levy wants us in the CL, so any manager coming in will be asked to do the same: Overachieve.

Back