• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: ***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

A bit of strange thing to say, I guess, but I thought the way we played today really looked like the way a team plays just before their manager gets the sack. We were totally clueless and confused, chaos reigned. There was just no faith. And it was raining too, haha, which added to the sort of doomsday drama feeling.

I think this is very harsh to be honest. There is no benefit to savaging the players in public or airing your dirty laundry in public and a manager that does that is either high on emotion after a bad result or is looking to score cheap points with the fans, who always love a good savaging of the players after an embarassing result.

For all his faults, I don't think this is one of them.

I think he says a lot of nonsense to the media to somewhat cover his AND the players backs but he contradicts himself alot which makes him end up looking a bit silly.

1) The Lloris stuff of course. That wasn't to cover anyones back but his own.

2) The tactics stuff. Today he brings up us having the most shots in the league to somewhat counter the argument that we had zero shots today. Possibly covering everyones back there but one minute he says "we're very efficient in an attacking sense minus the goals"..then he admits we need to create more chances and then today he's implying we create chances because of the shots on goal. Just a bunch of mixed messages.

3) Dembele - i mean he recently says he needs 3 days to rest up...but plays him thursday thus risking him for todays game. It just doesn't make sense.

I think the biggest problem is mate that he has an unfortunate reaction to stress. It appears to render him paralysed by stubborness. Probably partly down to inexperience, but he has had (now) several chances to change things, try new approaches, yet he digs his heels in deeper. I want to see him given time because that's my nature, I don't **** on people early doors because times are tough, but being a realist he has done himself few favors in a results-based business via an era which demands quick success. I think several factors appear to be pushing him out (if it he hasn't already gone)…again, personally I'd give him the season. But it's unrealistic. A shame in to many senses…but he is not helping himself.

I would give him the season too but like I said its a default position - there is no one else out there available who i view as a long term successor... HOWEVER, and you have touched upon it, he doesnt want to change and thats the problem. I have always said this but AVB is the architect of his own downfall, he may correct something for a game or two then revert back to his own theory and ****in philosophy. Thats the crux of the issue - most of us, I included, have had enough of it. If AVB did try to change things and we all saw this then we would all give him time, its the fact he hasnt tried to be flexible and for once its actually patience that is lost and not that he isnt good enough.

I have heard Hoddle short-term…let's see…be interesting to see if the whispers are true. But DL's espresso machine os on full blast. AVB's been under scrutiny for a while I've heard...

There is no way French media would know before our media. It is speculation only. I doubt anybody knows yet.

Re: AVB - This is my first ever negative tweet regarding him, I love the guy and wanted him to be a success but now I would not be massively upset if he was sacked. I am not sure his ideas are as concrete as we think and I am not sure he is capable of turning Spurs in to what Levy wants Spurs to be.

I have heard Hoddle short-term…let's see…be interesting to see if the whispers are true. But DL's espresso machine os on full blast. AVB's been under scrutiny for a while I've heard...

I wouldnt want that. We all know what will happen. Hoddle will do very well for the remainder of the season (lets be honest he has been punditing (is that a word) quite well and im sure Levy seen this) then we decide to keep him then he ****s up after next season then back to square one.

"So where do Spurs go from here? Looking at the teams that they have beaten in the league this season hammers a significant number of nails into the coffin of AVB's coffin. Crystal Palace, Swansea, Norwich, Cardiff, Aston Villa, Hull, Fulham and Sunderland. Not one team above tenth in the table has been defeated, with matches against Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Liverpool, Emirates Marketing Project, Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Everton returning a grand total of three points. AVB has effectively created a mid-table side..."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/301359/analysis

Ive been supportive of AVB from when he was appointed but i just can't see how he can survive today's result. I said in the match thread that i thought this was a litmus test for him and the team to show after the Emirates Marketing Project and West Ham results especially that we were moving forward and were going to be challenging for top four this season. I thought we were slightly more expansive in our general play especially against Utd and 2nd half against Sunderland and thought there were signs that changes had been implemented. Today however we reverted back to those poor performances, looked nervous from the off and fully deserved the beating we ended up getting.

The control of possession we had at the start of the season (we can debate its effectiveness) and general defensive solidity which was helping us to grind out results has completely gone and this is without any kind of improvement overall in our attacking play. Unfortunately when AVB reacted to being questioned about not having a shot on target today with "lets not forget we have the most shots on target in the league irrespective of our poor goalscoring record", that to me was a sign that he just doesn't get the problem and thus wont have a solution to it. I don't think the players have helped sometimes with poor finishing but we haven't been creating great chances regularly and if he thinks that the chances on target stat is a sign that things haven't been that bad then i think his time might be up. It saddens me because i thought he was a good appointment at the time and was going to take us forward. I think i was wrong.

"So where do Spurs go from here? Looking at the teams that they have beaten in the league this season hammers a significant number of nails into the coffin of AVB's coffin. Crystal Palace, Swansea, Norwich, Cardiff, Aston Villa, Hull, Fulham and Sunderland. Not one team above tenth in the table has been defeated, with matches against Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Liverpool, Emirates Marketing Project, Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Everton returning a grand total of three points. AVB has effectively created a mid-table side..."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/301359/analysis

Exactly. Every league game we have won this season I would honestly have expected us too, but we havent won a single match where I have classed us as the outsider, and lost 2, at least 2, we should have won

Ive been supportive of AVB from when he was appointed but i just can't see how he can survive today's result. I said in the match thread that i thought this was a litmus test for him and the team to show after the Emirates Marketing Project and West Ham results especially that we were moving forward and were going to be challenging for top four this season. I thought we were slightly more expansive in our general play especially against Utd and 2nd half against Sunderland and thought there were signs that changes had been implemented. Today however we reverted back to those poor performances, looked nervous from the off and fully deserved the beating we ended up getting.

The control of possession we had at the start of the season (we can debate its effectiveness) and general defensive solidity which was helping us to grind out results has completely gone and this is without any kind of improvement overall in our attacking play. Unfortunately when AVB reacted to being questioned about not having a shot on target today with "lets not forget we have the most shots on target in the league irrespective of our poor goalscoring record", that to me was a sign that he just doesn't get the problem and thus wont have a solution to it. I don't think the players have helped sometimes with poor finishing but we haven't been creating great chances regularly and if he thinks that the chances on target stat is a sign that things haven't been that bad then i think his time might be up. It saddens me because i thought he was a good appointment at the time and was going to take us forward. I think i was wrong.

Agree, will put my hand up as well - AVB was the one I wanted to replace Harry and I thought he'd do well. I was wrong - Levy needs to get rid of him before he does any more damage

Well it looks like he isnt going tonight, unless Danny Boy is watching the X-factor final and waiting until 9.30pm

I think he will be given the West Ham game on Wednesday to prove what that he has the gumption to turn things around.

Like it said earlier, many on here a vastly underrating Liverpool, and whilst losing 2-0 at home before the sending off isn't great in any measure, it would have been a much much worse indictment if it had been West Ham or the like that we were getting totally owned.

When I saw Liverpool lose at Arsenal weeks ago, I felt then that they would finish top 4.

Lose limply against West Ham and he's definitely out imo. Win and he might be out anyway: I think Levy will probably want to bide his time to find a replacement regardless after today.

I think he will be given the West Ham game on Wednesday to prove what that he has the gumption to turn things around.

Like it said earlier, many on here a vastly underrating Liverpool, and whilst losing 2-0 at home before the sending off isn't great in any measure, it would have been a much much worse indictment if it had been West Ham or the like that we were getting totally owned.

When I saw Liverpool lose at Arsenal weeks ago, I felt then that they would finish top 4.

Lose limply against West Ham and he's definitely out imo. Win and he might be out anyway: I think Levy will probably want to bide his time to find a replacement regardless after today.

Not being funny, how many more opportunities is Levy going to give him? Considering how ruthless he is, I think he's been remarkably patient.

I do think the fact that Levy has invested so much in AVB AND Baldini will mean he may give AVB a quiet 'vote of confidence'.

He (and we) would have to be pretty f-ing desperate to call in Hoddle btw

[video=youtube;ldpqZJ1eMdU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldpqZJ1eMdU[/video]

[video=youtube;O5m0PgqVk7k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5m0PgqVk7k[/video]

Not being funny, how many more opportunities is Levy going to give him? Considering how ruthless he is, I think he's been remarkably patient.

It would also leave Levy open to direct criticism himself. He gave AVB a lot more backing than any previous manager he's had; even got him Baldini. If he sacked him now (whilst it would be understandable considering the turgid and now rudderless football) where would that leave him? If he backed him so much before he may as well back him now, when they are no clear managerial alternatives: Hoddle? Capello? Don't make me laugh.

Another way of seeing it is the longer he has AVB there to take flak, the longer the flak doesn't come his way (e.g. why did you sack Harry? why didn't you buy a striker in Jan, e.g. Negerdo? Why did you not dig your heels in over Bale like you did over Modric? etc etc)

Really? What would the West Ham game prove? Fine, if we lost he would be even closer to being sacked. However say we scraped a 1-0 draw with the ball going in off Nolan's fat ****? Does that prove anything? Even if they scored 3 own goals and we won 3-0. The WEst Ham game is unlikely to prove anything

Back