• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: ***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

AVB has to walk a fine line here, the Media are circling for their next big profile exit and will do anything to make that happen with creative articles and pressure which ultimately influences public opinion.

The press has also some fine tools in the armory...the high summer spend and the knowledge that Levy can sack someone at any point.

For me someone in the club senior needs to sit and have a chat about AVB's press technique because although I agree with alot of what he says, he has to take the pressure off himself and the club and I feel he is just putting himself under more which some of his comments.

AVB has to walk a fine line here, the Media are circling for their next big profile exit and will do anything to make that happen with creative articles and pressure which ultimately influences public opinion.

The press has also some fine tools in the armory...the high summer spend and the knowledge that Levy can sack someone at any point.

For me someone in the club senior needs to sit and have a chat about AVB's press technique because although I agree with alot of what he says, he has to take the pressure off himself and the club and I feel he is just putting himself under more which some of his comments.

Neither of which will have any influence on match results and Levy's opinion, which are the only two things that matter regarding AVB's job.

The press can go **** themselves - the more AVB owns them publicly, the better.

He's not

Again he's not. Just an idiot on twitter with a silly gameshow on Telly. If he still had any power AVB wouldn't be addressing him like this.

Yep AVB is having a go because Sugar had his chance and ****ed up and should now keep his nose out. "He traded his support for money"

My bad, for some reason I thought he still had shares in us, but a quick google search suggests he doesn't. AVB's comments probably only based around the fact he claims to be a Spurs fan but clearly knows **** all about the game then lol

I would be amazed if this was not discussed and agreed with the press team before the press conference

To be honest I admire him for coming out and showing them up. I would do the same, so maybe thats why I admire him. Fat Sam aka ****, called AVB immature, I wouldnt call him immature but call him gutsy and thats a good trait to have.

Id have called them much worse had I been AVB. Yes dealing with the press is a game but dealing with ****s is not. I like how AVB responded and wish he had gone in harder. Then again im a heart on sleeve kinda guy and passionate and that would have out.

To be honest I admire him for coming out and showing them up. I would do the same, so maybe thats why I admire him. Fat Sam aka ****, called AVB immature, I wouldnt call him immature but call him gutsy and thats a good trait to have.

Id have called them much worse had I been AVB. Yes dealing with the press is a game but dealing with ****s is not. I like how AVB responded and wish he had gone in harder. Then again im a heart on sleeve kinda guy and passionate and that would have out.

I agree with the sentiment but now the press have exactly what they wanted and will be licking their lips.

I have seen it happen time and time again and this is unfortunately the start of a slippery slope for managers

AVB described Lamela's exclusion yesterday as a "technical decision" .. hmmm. Is that fancy talk for "he was dropped?"

Really can't stand people like Alan Hansen and even Stobart saying 'AVB needs results, not wars'. Well, of course he ****ing does! It's not as if after owning Ashton, he went home, put on his pipe and slippers and decided to sit back for the rest of the season. He will know more than anyone that he needs results.

And can someone please explain how publicly shaming a journo that mis-quoted him is in any way bad? I asked last night, but what tangible outcome is there that will result in a negative way on our club? Most Spurs fans got a great laugh out of it, most opposition fans either got a laugh or don't care, and the players are still behind the manager. Journos that were against AVB either are shamed into taking a more concilatory tone in their coverage of him, or continuing to drive their agenda and looking out of touch and very transparent in what they are doing. Intelligent journos (e.g. Castles) remain on his side and don't find it negative at all.

What are the supposed consequences that will come reigning down on our club as a result of a fair minded and calm correction of a journo that has failed to do his job properly?

I agree with the sentiment but now the press have exactly what they wanted and will be licking their lips.

I have seen it happen time and time again and this is unfortunately the start of a slippery slope for managers

It can be a slippery slope and can be misconstrued as AVB feeling the pressure (I think he is) but hasnt done Mourinho any harm in the past... although he has had the success to back up his 'tantrums'.

I am unsure why AVB cannot just pick out the press he wants to speak to i.e. pick and choose - why does he have to do a press conference to ALL press? Can he not just pick and choose? is there some kind of FA rule?

Really can't stand people like Alan Hansen and even Stobart saying 'AVB needs results, not wars'. Well, of course he ****ing does! It's not as if after owning Ashton, he went home, put on his pipe and slippers and decided to sit back for the rest of the season. He will know more than anyone that he needs results.

And can someone please explain how publicly shaming a journo that mis-quoted him is in any way bad? I asked last night, but what tangible outcome is there that will result in a negative way on our club? Most Spurs fans got a great laugh out of it, most opposition fans either got a laugh or don't care, and the players are still behind the manager. Journos that were against AVB either are shamed into taking a more concilatory tone in their coverage of him, or continuing to drive their agenda and looking out of touch and very transparent in what they are doing. Intelligent journos (e.g. Castles) remain on his side and don't find it negative at all.

What are the supposed consequences that will come reigning down on our club as a result of a fair minded and calm correction of a journo that has failed to do his job properly?

because if he is feeling the pressure from what a couple of idiotic journos have written imagine what it is going to be like when every press hack in the business in every sports publication is scrutinising him. He has shone a great big spotlight on himself. Anyway last week he was saying he was "immune to critisism" that's how he should have stayed imo.

It can be a slippery slope and can be misconstrued as AVB feeling the pressure (I think he is) but hasnt done Mourinho any harm in the past... although he has had the success to back up his 'tantrums'.

I am unsure why AVB cannot just pick out the press he wants to speak to i.e. pick and choose - why does he have to do a press conference to ALL press? Can he not just pick and choose? is there some kind of FA rule?

I think its seen as a taboo to do but you can pick and choose, clubs hate their manager doing it as it then sets . Fergie is one of the only I have known to do it with the BBC but he was almost untouchable in football terms.

I think higher powers at clubs can actually do more for the club and manager to come out and represent the club. Not that it will ever happen but imagine how good it would be for Levy for argument to come out and say "the club has a long term plan which will not be dictated to by the press, the manager has the backing of the board and the players are under no illusions of who is in charge"

because if he is feeling the pressure from what a couple of idiotic journos have written imagine what it is going to be like when every press hack in the business in every sports publication is scrutinising him. He has shone a great big spotlight on himself. Anyway last week he was saying he was "immune to critisism" that's how he should have stayed imo.

Is he feeling the pressure? Or did he calmly respond to a journo who mis-quoted him?

And not every sports publication will be against him. He has let a select few in that will always give balance to the situation. And in this age of social media and video on demand, when we can make our own opinions by seeing things with our own eyes, the press have less and less sway on what we think. A few years ago the majority probably would be laughing at AVB blowing his top. Now most are laughing at Neil Ashton, a journalist for a national newspaper, getting schooled on grammar. It's a new age. A wonderful age.

I would be amazed if this was not discussed and agreed with the press team before the press conference
why? Avb is his own man he said nothing about the club it was all about him.

Is he feeling the pressure? Or did he calmly respond to a journo who mis-quoted him?

And not every sports publication will be against him. He has let a select few in that will always give balance to the situation. And in this age of social media and video on demand, when we can make our own opinions by seeing things with our own eyes, the press have less and less sway on what we think. A few years ago the majority probably would be laughing at AVB blowing his top. Now most are laughing at Neil Ashton, a journalist for a national newspaper, getting schooled on grammar. It's a new age. A wonderful age.

I think he is feeling the pressure he knows he can't **** up this job after the chelsea shennanigans or his reputation will be in tatters. His team sit 9th after spending £100 million I am sure that was not in his or levy's plans.

why? Avb is his own man he said nothing about the club it was all about him.

Because he said 'he will explain to you after' when the initial confrontation with Ashton started, as if it was discussed with the media team and agreed at what the approach would be.

It's also worth noting that AVB isn't 'losing his rag' at a couple of idiotic journos. If he was doing that, he would have targeted many more because a lot had been written this past week. He called out one who delibrarely mis-quoted him in order to push an agenda that AVB was blaming the squad alone for Emirates Marketing Project, and another who used that assertion to criticise AVB's character as a man that always blames others. He didn't go after 'the media', he went after 2 particularly cretinous journos who mis-quoted him. Absolutely reasonable for our manager to reply without being told he is losing it.

I think he is feeling the pressure he knows he can't **** up this job after the chelsea shennanigans or his reputation will be in tatters. His team sit 9th after spending £100 million I am sure that was not in his or levy's plans.

Why? Did they expect to be no less than 3 points away from 4th at all points during the season?

Why? Did they expect to be no less than 3 points away from 4th at all points during the season?
points are meaningless as we saw last season position in the league is everything. I am uncomfortable writing that but that's the situation with football.

points are meaningless as we saw last season position in the league is everything. I am uncomfortable writing that but that's the situation with football.

So what is it that determines your place in the league? :-k

Back