• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Africa Cup of Nations - 2013

Or they could have just cancelled it and then restarted it in non W/C years. We keep hearing about how the European leagues need to shut up etc but no1 ever considers how much money is being put back into Africa due to the obscene wages most of these guys are paid by Europe.

They could have. They decided to do this. It's really not a big deal.

Why does any of that matter?

What footballers do with their own wages is their own business.

but this is a good thing.

MOST strikers would have at least had a shot on that.....or made a better attempt....he looked like he was in two minds

this PROVES that its a confidence and form issue

Sorry mate but how is that a good thing? The fact that he had no clue what he was doing is a very bad thing. And his shocking form is an even worse thing. You would absolutely expect ANY striker to score a one on one from that distance, especially when the keeper makes it easy for you by being on the floor.

I may not rate the guy that highly, but he is clearly a better player than his current form suggests. However, I don't see him magically regaining top form again like some Spurs fans do.

Emmanuel Adebayor has failed to score a single goal in 283 minutes of play in the African Cup of Nations.

Sorry mate but how is that a good thing? The fact that he had no clue what he was doing is a very bad thing. And his shocking form is an even worse thing. You would absolutely expect ANY striker to score a one on one from that distance, especially when the keeper makes it easy for you by being on the floor.

I may not rate the guy that highly, but he is clearly a better player than his current form suggests. However, I don't see him magically regaining top form again like some Spurs fans do.

its a good thing cause now we know its a confidence issue and that a mega signing is lying in wait once Ade gets his confidence back.

i would imagine that you would have sold bale when he has those two years of atrocious form and confidence? thankfully management got bale young so there was more time to see how it played out with loans etc. although the rumour of him getting sold to everton or forrest was disturbing

i think might point is that you shouldnt judge a players ability on their form when their confidence is at its lowest eb. thats a false measurement IMO

fudge. Ade scores. taco

I don't get it.

We want player of ours to gain confidence and get in form, but we're going to bitch and moan about it?

If he's going to be scoring goals then stay out there. Build up confidence and come back with that feeling.

Rather that then he fails completely and utterly and comes back still lacking that edge.

The choice:

1. Have adebayor back earlier, in the same form as when he left.
2. Have adebayor back a game or two later after he's managed to score a couple, have a decent tournament and is feel more confident.

It's no contest imo.

Last edited:
its a good thing cause now we know its a confidence issue and that a mega signing is lying in wait once Ade gets his confidence back.

i would imagine that you would have sold bale when he has those two years of atrocious form and confidence? thankfully management got bale young so there was more time to see how it played out with loans etc. although the rumour of him getting sold to everton or forrest was disturbing

i think might point is that you shouldnt judge a players ability on their form when their confidence is at its lowest eb. thats a false measurement IMO

And if his confidence doesn't come back? What then? Your definition of mega signing is obviously a bit different to mine.

I wouldn't have sold Bale because he was still young at the time when he was under performing and always had great potential. He was 18/19 when he went thorugh his sticky patch. Also, he wasn't a first choice player back in those days and we weren't relying on him for goals. Adebayor is 28. I've made no secret of the fact that I think we could do better than him. When a player is performing badly AND not trying 100% which I still think Adebayor doesn't do enough, then I think it's a problem.

Ade's goal

[video=dailymotion;xx1uem]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xx1uem_yyy-yyyy-yyyyy-yy-yyyyyyy-yyyyyyyyy-yyyyy-yyyy-yyyyy_sport[/video]

And if his confidence doesn't come back? What then? Your definition of mega signing is obviously a bit different to mine.

I wouldn't have sold Bale because he was still young at the time when he was under performing and always had great potential. He was 18/19 when he went thorugh his sticky patch. Also, he wasn't a first choice player back in those days and we weren't relying on him for goals. Adebayor is 28. I've made no secret of the fact that I think we could do better than him. When a player is performing badly AND not trying 100% which I still think Adebayor doesn't do enough, then I think it's a problem.

i dont remember it quite like that jurgen, bale came in and went straight into the first team...he went in there straight away. got injured...came back had horrific form in literally everything ......and THEN got dropped. the only reason he got a chance is for most players under harry.....people were not available etc. Prior to bale getting his confidence back no one wanted him starting

the key question is whether or not you are prepared to work with Ade through this, not you personally but you know what i mean...are you patient enough to ride out this bad patch and get the very good player at the end. or are you going to cut and run on literally just a couple of months of bad form. and it is only just a couple of months if you include injuries and sub appearances

Does anyone know the group rules?

Is it goal difference or head to head or what?

Because currently on the bbc it has togo third and tunesia second. Both are on 3 points, togo +1 GD, tunesia -2 GD.

In fact the only thing Tunesia beat Togo on is goals conceded..

And they haven't played each other yet.

Am not quite sure what i am missing..

Last edited:
Does anyone know the group rules?

Is it goal difference or head to head or what?

Because currently on the bbc it has togo third and tunesia second. Both are on 3 points, togo +1 GD, tunesia -2 GD.

In fact the only thing Tunesia beat Togo on is goals conceded..

And they haven't played each other yet.

Am not quite sure what i am missing..

The BBC have it wrong.

Here are the correct group placings...

Africa Cup of Nations Finals 2013 South Africa

i dont remember it quite like that jurgen, bale came in and went straight into the first team...he went in there straight away. got injured...came back had horrific form in literally everything ......and THEN got dropped. the only reason he got a chance is for most players under harry.....people were not available etc. Prior to bale getting his confidence back no one wanted him starting

the key question is whether or not you are prepared to work with Ade through this, not you personally but you know what i mean...are you patient enough to ride out this bad patch and get the very good player at the end. or are you going to cut and run on literally just a couple of months of bad form. and it is only just a couple of months if you include injuries and sub appearances

Like I've said many times, I don't believe Adebayor is the answer. He possesses many qualities on his day and when he's up for it. But that is the problem, he simply doesn't have enough days where he is really on his game. Plus he's a poor finisher. So many top clubs have signed him, but then ultimately decided he isn't good enough. Now the usual response when anyone brings this up is "it doesn't matter what happened at his previous clubs". Why doesn't it? It's the same pattern everywhere he goes, he looks great initally and the fans think what a player we've got here, but he then doesn't produce that form often enough.

As for Bale, you're right, he was playing in the first team, but he wasn't play well enough to justify the manager picking him every game, so he was dropped. And the comparison isn't a great one really because he wasn't asked to score goals for like Adebayor is asked to. How long do you keep the faith with a striker who a) isn't scoring; and b) isn't playing well or even providing assists for other players? We paid the price for this in 10/11.

Last edited:
Back