• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Aaron Lennon

Very different players

- Chadli doesn't need to be released as early (as pace is not his main weapon), can often have a very mediocre game and pop up with goal and/or assist. Both he and the side can be having a poor game and Chadli will still get a goal.
- Lennon needs to be released early to leverage his pace, as that allows him to isolate the opposition FB, Lennon creates width, much better defensively. Team plays well, Lennon plays well, Bale's early days (when he stayed wide) benefitted massively from Lennon stretching pitch.

I don't believe the doesn't fit system crud .. obviously something makes Poch not want to leverage him (a decision no other manager in almost a decade has made), pure speculation, but in my opinion that decision already bit us in the ass last year, without a replacement, it will bite us again.
Very different players

- Chadli doesn't need to be released as early (as pace is not his main weapon), can often have a very mediocre game and pop up with goal and/or assist. Both he and the side can be having a poor game and Chadli will still get a goal.
- Lennon needs to be released early to leverage his pace, as that allows him to isolate the opposition FB, Lennon creates width, much better defensively. Team plays well, Lennon plays well, Bale's early days (when he stayed wide) benefitted massively from Lennon stretching pitch.

I don't believe the doesn't fit system crud .. obviously something makes Poch not want to leverage him (a decision no other manager in almost a decade has made), pure speculation, but in my opinion that decision already bit us in the ass last year, without a replacement, it will bite us again.

Great post. Lennon not fitting into Poch's system is a red herring. I saw him fit pretty well in the capital one cup games and against Everton. In the former he was made captain. Something has happened between Poch and him which is why he is out. Not sure if it is terminal or just press speculation. I would have him over Townsend all day long.

Great post. Lennon not fitting into Poch's system is a red herring. I saw him fit pretty well in the capital one cup games and against Everton. In the former he was made captain. Something has happened between Poch and him which is why he is out. Not sure if it is terminal or just press speculation. I would have him over Townsend all day long.

I was intreagued by the idea of playing him at number 10 which Poch experimented with last summer. I think that his pace and willingness to close down could have been an asset there but obviously his lack of goals would be a problem.

Well @harr1984 said

"any mediocre player could occupy a defence"

and they don't come much more mediocre than Bentley and Dos Santos.
Apologies I meant defender not defence. Lennon has done a lot of good things for us and I don't intend for my comments to negate away from that fact.

Im saying Chadli is the more productive player and I stand by that....

I was intreagued by the idea of playing him at number 10 which Poch experimented with last summer. I think that his pace and willingness to close down could have been an asset there but obviously his lack of goals would be a problem.
Who's to say he wouldn't score more though? I mean he never struck me as a poor finisher, simply someone who didn't get into goal scoring positions enough- considering he hugged the touchline most of the time not a real surprise. If in a central number 10 position youd assume he'd have more goal scoring opportunities....

Who's to say he wouldn't score more though? I mean he never struck me as a poor finisher, simply someone who didn't get into goal scoring positions enough- considering he hugged the touchline most of the time not a real surprise. If in a central number 10 position youd assume he'd have more goal scoring opportunities....

That was my hope a year ago but it wasn't to be.

Yes Im with you Milo, had high hopes for him when he was tried out there and would love to know why that experiment stopped....
Perhaps we are being premature in writing off Lennon for spurs. No takers at the moment and if Townsend is sold he might well stay.

Perhaps we are being premature in writing off Lennon for spurs. No takers at the moment and if Townsend is sold he might well stay.
Imo this would be the ideal situation (assuming that whatever has happened with/to Lennon "unhappens" and is forgiven)

I think i'm correct in saying Townsend will command a higher transfer fee and i personally don't think he will ever become as good as Lennon was/is.

Everton are a grand old team to play for but maybe a meaningless season out in the sticks has woken Lennon up to what he has here with us.

Imo this would be the ideal situation (assuming that whatever has happened with/to Lennon "unhappens" and is forgiven)

I think i'm correct in saying Townsend will command a higher transfer fee and i personally don't think he will ever become as good as Lennon was/is.

Everton are a grand old team to play for but maybe a meaningless season out in the sticks has woken Lennon up to what he has here with us.
You'd have to imagine that if he is training with the kids after loan spell too then things have gone too far. I think that's all folks.

You'd have to imagine that if he is training with the kids after loan spell too then things have gone too far. I think that's all folks.

I agree and I think that it is a real shame that it has ended like this but a manager needs to given the freedom to build his team. If Poch does not think that Lennon can be part of that, it is best for all concerned if he moves on.

I think the biggest slight against Lennon is probably his wages. Which are inconsistent with his value to the team. He's likely paid as a key player, when Poch only sees him as a bit part squad player. It makes sense that he moves on. He has been a loyal servant. He will be fondly remembered. And he does bring drive and commitment. But not enough goals. To be successful at a top club he needed to offer more, along the lines of a David Silva or Cazorla. Using his smaller size to skip around players and pass and move.

Last edited:
I just dont understand why Lennon is being frozen out. I Want to know why. I think in these kind of circumstance teams need to tell us. He has been here a long time, and is still a talented player. I would much rather have him in the side than Townsend or Lamela at this stage. But instead they are likely to start whilst Lennon rots.

Im sure there must be a good reason. And they better tell us, I suppose maybe after he transfers away. But at this moment in time I just dont get it.

I'd love to know what Everton are offering. Has Everton delved into the market yet?

They've signed Deulofeu and Cleverley, but they most pressingly need a CB and a GK

So Lennon is probably a 3rd priority and they might not have funds unless they sell (Stones or a few fridge players)

Apparently we want £9m and they want to pay £6m

They've signed Deulofeu and Cleverley, but they most pressingly need a CB and a GK

So Lennon is probably a 3rd priority and they might not have funds unless they sell (Stones or a few fridge players)

Apparently we want £9m and they want to pay £6m
Everton! every year they loan 1 or 2 players. And then the next summer they try to buy them. Why are they so much more worse of than Liverpoo???

Lennon is worth 9m in todays market. But there is not much of a clamour for him!

Still want to know what he has done to be frozen out! cant they let it go? ;)

Aston Villa have expressed an interest in signing Aaron Lennon from Tottenham.

Discussions are underway over a £5million deal with manager Tim Sherwood still keen on Andros Townsend too.

Sherwood wants to bring in some British signings after his flurry of foreign arrivals to maintain a balance in the squad and dressing room.

He has made an improved offer of around £2m for West Bromwich Albion defender Joleon Lescott and wants to add Lennon who impressed on loan at Everton last season.

Lennon was to be offered as a makeweight in Tottenham's bid for James McCarthy but the Everton midfielder has today agreed to sign a new five-year contract at Goodison Park.

Lennon has one year left and was rated at £9m by Tottenham but Villa believe £5m is a fair reflection of his market value.

Sherwood retains an interest in Townsend too but the England winger wants to give his Tottenham career every chance and will wait to see where he fits into Maurico Pochettino's plans as the season begins.

Villa did have an interest in Barcelona's Adama Traore but don't want to pay the £12m buyout and he is leaning towards joining Stoke City after visiting their training ground on Wednesday.

Albion, meanwhile, have offered another year to Lescott as Tony Pulis wants him to stay but he is interested in speaking to Villa if terms can be agreed.

Tottenham's Emmanuel Adebayor is keen to move to another London club following the collapse of his move to Villa.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...es-Andros-Townsend-reunion.html#ixzz3i2jHL7FY
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Back