• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Aaron Lennon

the definition of comparison encompasses both similarities and dissimilarities
Fair enough, but what's the value of the comparison? it's like comparing lampard and Carrick. Both played centre midfield but we're very different types of midfielders. Chadli is not a traditional winger whilst Lennon is.

According to records Lennon has 50 assists in the Prem so I do not think that is true.

How many seasons has he be playing in the PL for? Say ten? That's an average of a few assists a season and probably averaging one or two goals a season.

Chadli scored double figures and got a few assists also in one season. Even allowing for a season or two of a dip in form Chadli would easily surpass Lennon's goals + assists figures if playing in the PL for same period of time...

How many seasons has he be playing in the PL for? Say ten? That's an average of a few assists a season and probably averaging one or two goals a season.

Chadli scored double figures and got a few assists also in one season. Even allowing for a season or two of a dip in form Chadli would easily surpass Lennon's goals + assists figures if playing in the PL for same period of time...

Well that is something neither one of us could say for sure. But as I have said they are completely different players
and to compere them is pretty fruitless ( imo).

How do you compare Lennon and Chadli when they are completely different players? Both play out wide but that's where their similarities end.

I think it's interesting from an academic point of view to contrast them in terms of the evolution of wide players.

Lennon is a traditional 4-4-2 winger, whereas Chadli is a modern 4-5-1 wing/inside forward

Chadli also came up with a few assists, he didn't just score goals. Jurgen is right, for all Lennons' pace Chadli is far more productive....

I'd agree that Chadli is a better inside forward than Lennon, because of his goal threat but that is not the role that Lennon played in 90% of his games for us. If we are playing that game we might as well say that Lennon is a better right winger than Chadli.

The three of Bale, VdV and Lennon was the best that we have had in those positions in the Premier League and Lennon was no passenger in that three. It was no accident that when he was injured the form of the other two suffered. Teams had to have someone on him and that created space for the others to operate.

I'd agree that Chadli is a better inside forward than Lennon, because of his goal threat but that is not the role that Lennon played in 90% of his games for us. If we are playing that game we might as well say that Lennon is a better right winger than Chadli.

The three of Bale, VdV and Lennon was the best that we have had in those positions in the Premier League and Lennon was no passenger in that three. It was no accident that when he was injured the form of the other two suffered. Teams had to have someone on him and that created space for the others to operate.

Bingo, when Lennon was at his best ( and was often) the opposing team had to double mark him which left room for our other players to take advantage of. I am amazed that some fans undervalue just what he did for us.

I think it's interesting from an academic point of view to contrast them in terms of the evolution of wide players.

Lennon is a traditional 4-4-2 winger, whereas Chadli is a modern 4-5-1 wing/inside forward

Certainly, but to then draw inferences as to who is the 'better player' from that comparison is folly.

Agree, I loved Lennon. But talking from a productivity point of view, Chadli is better- no matter whether you're an out and out winger or an inside forward in either position you have to be looking at goals and assists for anyone playing in those positions. Lennon had other benefits to his game aswell, easily better than Chadli defensively....

Agree, I loved Lennon. But talking from a productivity point of view, Chadli is better- no matter whether you're an out and out winger or an inside forward in either position you have to be looking at goals and assists for anyone playing in those positions. Lennon had other benefits to his game aswell, easily better than Chadli defensively....

As has already been mentioned by @milo and @parklane1 , looking at Lennon's goals and assists provides a stunted analysis. He created goals for the team indirectly by creating that vital half-second for other midfielders to unpick opposition defences, either by commiting extra players to wide areas, leaving more space in the centre; or by forcing the defence backwards, leaving more space in deep areas (which Bale especially took advantage of under AVB).

As has already been mentioned by @milo and @parklane1 , looking at Lennon's goals and assists provides a stunted analysis. He created goals for the team indirectly by creating that vital half-second for other midfielders to unpick opposition defences, either by commiting extra players to wide areas, leaving more space in the centre; or by forcing the defence backwards, leaving more space in deep areas (which Bale especially took advantage of under AVB).
I was going back to the part about who is more effective/productive - who creates more space for who isn't really something Id be placing a lot of interest in when looking at that, and that doesn't mean I don't respect that can help a side. But it could be anyone of us hugging the touchline and therefore occupying a defender, you need to be offering more than just that. Like I say, I loved Lennon and completely acknowledge what he bought to the team and he was part of that CL team we had who was the best Ive seen in my lifetime. Lets not also forget Chadli's best years are yet to come. I'd also agree its not easy to directly judge these two against each other as there aren't many similarities, two different beasts altogether....

My own thoughts are that Chadli would be equally as unsuited for the excellent Jol and (especially) Redknapp teams, as Lennon is unsuited for our current Pochettino team.

If Chadli ends up having a THFC career as good as Lennon's was for us then I will be extremely pleased.

Now can we get back to a more pertinent subject such as when on earth are we going to manage to get rid of Soldado?!? ;)

When he was at his best Lennon was one of the best players I've seen in a Spurs shirt. He's one of those occasions when the bare stats don't tell the whole truth and need deeper analysis. His contribution to the team - in terms of opening up defences, creating space and forcing teams on the back foot - far exceeds whatever his official tally of "assists" might be. His weakness was in front of goal... and it's true that did hold him back from being a genuinely world class attacking player... but as people have said, that was never really his position, so it's a bit unfair to judge him on that.

On his day (and there were plenty of them a few years back) he would sometimes regularly drag three defensive players out wide - single-handedly destroying the opposition's shape as a team. He was unplayable and anyone reading the game properly could see he was contributing far more than the stats could ever show. On top of that, when he was regularly receiving early balls from Huddlestone he was just so bloody exciting to watch. Raised the pulse every time the play switched to him (and isn't that what you want from your players?)

Last but not least, he's almost certainly our longest serving player at this point. Right? He feels very much like part of the club these days. I'm not saying we should keep him... clearly the club needed an overhaul... but after all this time it's a proper shame to see him leaving under - what seems to be - a pretty dark cloud. I don't know what went on behind the scenes. None of us do... all we have is speculation based on rumour. Because of that I'm not going to pass judgement either way. But it's very sad. And whatever the case, I wish him all the best. On his day, he was as "Spurs" a player as I ever saw.

One of my favourite moments as a Spurs fan...

I was going back to the part about who is more effective/productive - who creates more space for who isn't really something Id be placing a lot of interest in when looking at that, and that doesn't mean I don't respect that can help a side. But it could be anyone of us hugging the touchline and therefore occupying a defender, you need to be offering more than just that. Like I say, I loved Lennon and completely acknowledge what he bought to the team and he was part of that CL team we had who was the best Ive seen in my lifetime. Lets not also forget Chadli's best years are yet to come. I'd also agree its not easy to directly judge these two against each other as there aren't many similarities, two different beasts altogether....

Now I can't speak for you, but if I were hugging the touchline, the opposition wouldn't have one player marking me - let alone two!

The threat Lennon posed was what created the space, they are two sides of the same coin.

Now I can't speak for you, but if I were hugging the touchline, the opposition wouldn't have one player marking me - let alone two!

The threat Lennon posed was what created the space, they are two sides of the same coin.
Haha Id hope I was of good enough standard to have at least one marking me!;-)

My point was any mediocre player could occupy a defence - need to be offering more than that. I really rated Lennon, so don't want it to sound like Im dismissing what he did for us. But to me Chadli offers more end product....

My point was any mediocre player could occupy a defence - need to be offering more than that. I really rated Lennon, so don't want it to sound like Im dismissing what he did for us. But to me Chadli offers more end product....
You are right regarding end product, but I think while any mediocre player could occupy a defender (or even multiple players against weaker opposition), Lennon would often have two players marking him even against the likes of Man U.

My own thoughts are that Chadli would be equally as unsuited for the excellent Jol and (especially) Redknapp teams, as Lennon is unsuited for our current Pochettino team.

If Chadli ends up having a THFC career as good as Lennon's was for us then I will be extremely pleased.

Now can we get back to a more pertinent subject such as when on earth are we going to manage to get rid of Soldado?!? ;)

the first two para's had me preparing to click like then you ruined it in the third ;-)

Very different players

- Chadli doesn't need to be released as early (as pace is not his main weapon), can often have a very mediocre game and pop up with goal and/or assist. Both he and the side can be having a poor game and Chadli will still get a goal.
- Lennon needs to be released early to leverage his pace, as that allows him to isolate the opposition FB, Lennon creates width, much better defensively. Team plays well, Lennon plays well, Bale's early days (when he stayed wide) benefitted massively from Lennon stretching pitch.

I don't believe the doesn't fit system brick .. obviously something makes Poch not want to leverage him (a decision no other manager in almost a decade has made), pure speculation, but in my opinion that decision already bit us in the ass last year, without a replacement, it will bite us again.

If that is the case, why did the other players' form suffer when he was out?

Back