• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Aaron Lennon

If you have 11 back ups and theyre all the same as the first choice player in their position then where does plan B come into play? You need a variety of players, I dont get this whole if theyre not good enough for a first 11 or theyre different then we get rid... what happens if plan A isnt working?

I heard a stat that Poch has never won a game from behind and that could perhaps mean he doesnt have a plan B in his locker, this is where players like Lennon come into play who are different from the likes of Lamela.

I think the league they were chatting about as Southampton werent really in Europe.

Fair enough, but footballs football so the point still becomes slightly invalid. Not the ultimate point of having different types of players, which is a great point, but him not coming from behind.

Fair enough, but footballs football so the point still becomes slightly invalid. Not the ultimate point of having different types of players, which is a great point, but him not coming from behind.

Although the stat was before last Thursdays game. I agree football is football and scoring a goal against an inferior side is still the same as scoring against any other team - but that point is always used when describing players and how good they are. Just look at Defoe and the criticisms aimed at him for not scoring against the bigger teams.

Back on topic, I think we have to keep the likes of Lennon, cant just get rid of anyone simply because they dont fit into the plan A team.

Although the stat was before last Thursdays game. I agree football is football and scoring a goal against an inferior side is still the same as scoring against any other team - but that point is always used when describing players and how good they are. Just look at Defoe and the criticisms aimed at him for not scoring against the bigger teams.

Back on topic, I think we have to keep the likes of Lennon, cant just get rid of anyone simply because they dont fit into the plan A team.

Yeah that's true. And I would keep Lennon too, think he played great in preseason and definitely has a place in the squad, even defensively, not that we should be defensive, but he's a great counter attack option and does track back brilliantly.

Fully agree - actually I think Lennon can also contribute to plan A and give Lamela a breather - especially in EL and cup games.

Fully agree - actually I think Lennon can also contribute to plan A and give Lamela a breather - especially in EL and cup games.
Lennon is more able to press high and quickly than Eriksen, Chadli or Lamela, what's more the defenders know that and is enough to induce panic. At West Ham last week it was important we didn't press like headless chickens as their spare man would have allowed them to tire us out. Also, Lennon had to be disciplined to look after the rookie, out-of-position Dier, which he did superbly.
Chadli took his chance at AEL and QPR very well, however, he can't really beat a man One-on-One, and there will be times when we need someone to do that, as well as track. Possibly against Pool next week.

Where Lennon does need to improve is to attack the space and start getting around the back into the box or making diagonal runs into the box.
He used to be so much more positive in his teens.

No way he should be sold!

Lennon is more able to press high and quickly than Eriksen, Chadli or Lamela, what's more the defenders know that and is enough to induce panic. At West Ham last week it was important we didn't press like headless chickens as their spare man would have allowed them to tire us out. Also, Lennon had to be disciplined to look after the rookie, out-of-position Dier, which he did superbly.
Chadli took his chance at AEL and QPR very well, however, he can't really beat a man One-on-One, and there will be times when we need someone to do that, as well as track. Possibly against Pool next week.

Where Lennon does need to improve is to attack the space and start getting around the back into the box or making diagonal runs into the box.
He used to be so much more positive in his teens.

No way he should be sold!

Agreed. I think Lennon will do well under Poch.

I haven't seen any credible rumours linking him away. He started against West Ham and played regularly in pre-season. I think he's staying.

I wouldn't necessarily sell him, but it's almost as if he has built up some sort of reputation that he's undroppable, he's gone through various spells of bad patches of form and yet he maintains his place in the side season in season out for the most part.

And yet last weekend he was on the bench after starting the last league match, kind of kicks your point into touch methinks

Seeing as he's now our longest serving player, new club captain? Or do we just go with a team captain, say Kaboul or Lloris?

I can't tell if that's a joke or not. Of course he shouldn't be captain.

You don't have to be the one that shouts the most on the pitch to make a good captain, quite the contrary, and leaders will lead regardless. Important tasks for the captain includes: exchanging gifts before the game, choosing which way we kick off, negotiating team bonuses with the club. The club captain is more of an honorary thing anyway.

You don't have to be the one that shouts the most on the pitch to make a good captain, quite the contrary, and leaders will lead regardless. Important tasks for the captain includes: exchanging gifts before the game, choosing which way we kick off, negotiating team bonuses with the club. The club captain is more of an honorary thing anyway.

Didnt know captain did that. Wouldnt of thought would go to someone who's not a guaranteed starter, then again Dawson wasnt really for his last season or two at least...

But does he deserve the honour?

Didnt know captain did that. Wouldnt of thought would go to someone who's not a guaranteed starter, then again Dawson wasnt really for his last season or two at least...

We started with the club captain/ team captain split when Ledley was spending most of his time out injured. Don't know if it's something the club wants to keep doing, but Lennon would be the obvious candidate.

Anyone know why he wasn't in the squad today?

I'd be surprised if he is going to be sold

Back