• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Aaron Lennon

Thanks, Townsend has smashed that one hasn't he.

In regard to your persistent complaints about Lennon, I agree with your general point to an extent. However, you have to question why ALL managers Lennon has had have consistently played him when fit. So, either the managers rate him a lot higher or we just don't have any decent alternatives. Chadli? I really rate the guy but not sure of him as a right winger, the only one who is his direct competition is Townsend. For all his dribbling is his end product any better? He rarely scores and doesn't seem to assist many either and at least with Lennon his work rate and defensive covering is second to none. Of course that isn't the priority for a winger but he does have that over Townsend who for all his dribbling ability doesn't contribute much more in the goals/assists column.

You could argue he hasn't had the game time and opportunities Lennon has, but I can understand why Sherwood has stuck with Lennon. I'd keep him and see what he does under the new coach but if his performances aren't better next season then get rid. We might well play with wing forwards next season and the likes of Chadli and Lamella would be ahead in the pecking order I'd imagine....

one thing peculiar is that townsend, lennon and rose can;t cross can;t shoot - is it an English thing cos eriksen chadli and siggy all can.

peopled used to blame it on walker that lennon was playing poor. saying its because he gets in hes way.
so now whats hes excuse . he had a great chance to get on the plane to the world cup with theo being injured and has blown it

why cant he cross. why does he always take the wrong option.
i see adel taarabt is doing wel for ac milan who beat inter milan tonight. think thats 6/7 wins for them since adel come back from injury

I think it's been pointed out on this thread before but Lennon was at his best when we had Modric and Huddlestone switching the play early to the wings. This frequently gave him the ball with lots of space to work with. Now he is consistently getting the ball in congested areas against deep defences which doesn't really suit him or his game.

Also he really benefited from play with Corluka who was capable of threading through balls behind the opposing full back. He hasn't stopped making those runs but now the only player who really seems able to provide him that is Naughton.

The new manager either needs to develop a system that will get the best out of players like Lennon, or Lennon needs to adapt his game (something he has done successfully before) to be of value to the team. He's an excellent player so I wouldn't want to see him leave but at the moment he's not providing us with what we need.

For me, that's like saying Torres was at his best with Xabi Alonso pinging balls from deep and Steven Gerrard linking up with him, that may well have been the case but you stick current Torres with prime Alonso and Gerrard, you're not going to get prime Torres again, you'll still have the current version. Same goes for Lennon.

For me, that's like saying Torres was at his best with Xabi Alonso pinging balls from deep and Steven Gerrard linking up with him, that may well have been the case but you stick current Torres with prime Alonso and Gerrard, you're not going to get prime Torres again, you'll still have the current version. Same goes for Lennon.

I'd agree with you about Torres. A large part of Torres' game came from his athleticism. He's lost that bit of power and acceleration that made him so deadly, not to mention he confidence which looks completely shot.

In my view, Lennon is actually a better player now than when he was five years ago because he isn't so reliant on his pace. He's still got the beating of most full-backs but has shown capability to cut inside and vary his game than simply running to the byline and pinging in a cross. He became predictable and needed to be able to provide something different which I think he can do now.

I don't think Lennon is a lost cause, but like so many of our players, just isn't being used in a way where they can be at their most effective

But Torres has played for a Chelsea team with Hazard, Mata and Oscar and still hasn't fired.

When did Lennon get that chance to play with Modric or Huddlestone type players again?

I dont think there is a player who has as many excuses as Lennon does.

Compare him to most other wingers in the P.L and his goals and assists would look poor, yet we think he can be a key player in a team fighting for the top 4.

Needs replacing.

how can people stick up for him. how can a winger not cross a ball .
why does he cut in and shoot on hes left foot. its always weak and you know its not going in.

sterling and adam johnson both better then lennon

how can people stick up for him. how can a winger not cross a ball .
why does he cut in and shoot on hes left foot. its always weak and you know its not going in.

sterling and adam johnson both better then lennon

The reason he cuts in rather than stick to the byline and put a cross in is because more goalscoring opportunities are created that way.

The reason he cuts in rather than stick to the byline and put a cross in is because more goalscoring opportunities are created that way.

Also how I view it is that Lennon at times could be too quick for others so he cuts inside to bide time for players to come in the box.

You're right, there's no comparison between the two.

Other than being fast and English what comparisons would you draw between them?

I think Walcott is a better overall player than Lennon but if he was put in our team, in Lennons position, in our formation, then his contribution wouldn't be equal to what he delivers for Arsenal.

I'm saying there's no comparison between them in terms of what level they are. Thank GHod we don't sing "you're just a **** Aaron Lennon" anymore.

I hope Lennon is still here next season....I've just bought an Aaron Lennon air freshener from halfords...life size too

I look at Sterling and think wow wouldn't it be nice to have a winger like that. Lennon is one of the players that needs replacing, not good enough.

Back