• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Aaron Lennon

I dont think there is a player who has as many excuses as Lennon does.

Compare him to most other wingers in the P.L and his goals and assists would look poor, yet we think he can be a key player in a team fighting for the top 4.

Needs replacing.

this X 1,000% If he played this whole season for Cardiff who was rock bottom and gave out the same performances and goals/assists Cardiff fans would be saying he is not good enough. Yet here we are chasing top 4 and our fans have excuse after excuse to why he isn't performing /puts in a good defensive shift etc..

it's maddening. good servant to the club but quite clear we need to move on

this X 1,000% If he played this whole season for Cardiff who was rock bottom and gave out the same performances and goals/assists Cardiff fans would be saying he is not good enough. Yet here we are chasing top 4 and our fans have excuse after excuse to why he isn't performing /puts in a good defensive shift etc..

Are you really suggesting that he's not even PL quality?

Just out of curiosity which traditional wingers is it people are comparing Lennon's stats to?

Are you really suggesting that he's not even PL quality?

Just out of curiosity which traditional wingers is it people are comparing Lennon's stats to?

In current form yes I think he would struggle to hold down a regular place with any club in the top flight. Just looking at Cardiff who were rock bottom they had Jordan Mutch playing on the right he had 7 goals and 5 assists, Snodgrass from Norwich 6 goals 2 assists I could go on. I am not saying these are better players than Lennon when on form but his lack of end product is damning it is clear to see.

Whilst I think saying he's not good enough for Cardiff is a bit OTT, I agree with the sentiment. We've tolerated his lack of end product and poor goals tally for too long, he's got worse over the last couple of years, not better. The old arguement was he's better than Walcott, well that's just a laughable statement these days as Walcott whilst being massively overrated, has improved year on year. Lennon's best asset is that he tracks back and helps out defensively. Lamela should start as soon as he is fit again.

Whilst I think saying he's not good enough for Cardiff is a bit OTT, I agree with the sentiment. We've tolerated his lack of end product and poor goals tally for too long, he's got worse over the last couple of years, not better. The old arguement was he's better than Walcott, well that's just a laughable statement these days as Walcott whilst being massively overrated, has improved year on year. Lennon's best asset is that he tracks back and helps out defensively. Lamela should start as soon as he is fit again.

lennon has never ever been as good as walcott.Sadly.

Again I ask. Compared to who?

Who are these traditional wingers in the Premier League you're comparing his stats to?

Every "starting" left/right midfielder/winger in the league:

Goals (per 90 minutes)

Code:
Podolski 0.67
Rodriguez 0.53
Walcott 0.52
Schurrle 0.48
Hazard 0.45
Sterling 0.38
Sigurdsson 0.37
Dejagah 0.36
Eriksen 0.33
Assaidi 0.32
Deulofeu 0.31
A.Johnson 0.31
Mirallas 0.31
Brady 0.30
Silva 0.30
Dyer 0.27
Lallana 0.27
Borini 0.26
Puncheon 0.25
Januzaj 0.23
Nasri 0.23
Snodgrass 0.22
Ben Arfa 0.21
Goufran 0.21
Willian 0.21
Navas 0.20
Arnautovic 0.17
Weimann 0.18
Amalfitano 0.17
Richardson 0.16
Boyd 0.15
Brunt 0.13
P.Hernandez 0.13
Whittingham 0.11
Jarvis 0.09
Sissoko 0.09
Valencia 0.09
Routledge 0.07
Chadli 0.06
Pienaar 0.05
Downing 0.04
[B]Lennon 0.04[/B]
Redmond 0.04
Bolasie 0.00

Assists (per 90 minutes)

Code:
P.Hernandez 0.44
Walcott 0.42
Silva 0.39
Eriksen 0.38
Navas 0.35
Deulofeu 0.31
Mirallas 0.31
Arnautovic 0.29
Nasri 0.26
Hazard 0.22
Ben Arfa 0.21
Brunt 0.21
Sterling 0.21
Bolasie 0.19
Chadli 0.19
Sissoko 0.18
Whittingham 0.18
Januzaj 0.17
Podolski 0.17
Boyd 0.15
A.Johnson 0.15
Lallana 0.15
Dejagah 0.14
Jarvis 0.14
Valencia 0.14
Weimann 0.14
Amalfitano 0.13
Redmond 0.13
[B]Lennon 0.12[/B]
Richardson 0.12
Dyer 0.11
Gouffran 0.11
Pienaar 0.11
Rodriguez 0.11
Willian 0.11
Brady 0.10
Routledge 0.10
Borini 0.09
Downing 0.07
Puncheon 0.07
Shurrle 0.07
Snodgrass 0.07
Assaidi 0.00
Sigurdsson 0.00

Chances created (per 90 minutes)

Code:
Silva 3.58
Willian 3.43
Nasri 3.15
Eriksen 3.05
Hazard 2.83
Navas 2.83
Walcott 2.41
Mirallas 2.36
Snodgrass 2.36
Sissoko 2.32
Downing 2.24
A.Johnson 2.22
P.Hernandez 2.08
Ben Arfa 2.06
Sterling 2.03
Lallana 1.97
Arnautovic 1.96
Amalfitano 1.95
Chadli 1.92
Schurrle 1.86
Whittingham 1.82
Januzaj 1.74
Puncheon 1.73
Brunt 1.67
Pienaar 1.59
Dejagah 1.57
Routledge 1.55
Assaidi 1.54
Redmond 1.47
[B]Lennon 1.45[/B]
Jarvis 1.41
Brady 1.31
Dyer 1.30
Boyd 1.26
Valencia 1.20
Weimann 1.16
Borini 1.14
Sigurdsson 1.13
Bolasie 1.11
Gouffran 0.99
Deulofeu 0.92
Rodriguez 0.70
Richardson 0.86
Podolski 0.58

So Lennon is somewhere a little below average overall in those stats? And not a lot of traditional wingers in those lists really (part of my initial point).

I still really think his rather disappointing season has been as much about our shortcomings as a team as it's been about Lennon.

If you look at Jesus Navas his numbers look super impressive. 7 assists and 4 goals in 18 starts and 12 sub appearances is really good for a winger I think. But look at his previous season at Sevilla - 6 assists and no goals in 37 starts. And that's in La Liga - often mentioned as a league it's easier to score in than the Premier League.

Is he all of a sudden a much better player this season? Or might there be "excuses" that are valid explanations about his last season at Sevilla?

I'm not saying that Lennon is as good as Navas by the way, just to be clear.

So Lennon is somewhere a little below average overall in those stats? And not a lot of traditional wingers in those lists really (part of my initial point).

I still really think his rather disappointing season has been as much about our shortcomings as a team as it's been about Lennon.

If you look at Jesus Navas his numbers look super impressive. 7 assists and 4 goals in 18 starts and 12 sub appearances is really good for a winger I think. But look at his previous season at Sevilla - 6 assists and no goals in 37 starts. And that's in La Liga - often mentioned as a league it's easier to score in than the Premier League.

Is he all of a sudden a much better player this season? Or might there be "excuses" that are valid explanations about his last season at Sevilla?

I'm not saying that Lennon is as good as Navas by the way, just to be clear.

It's not just about the stats, can you honestly say that Lennon's overall play is good enough? He actually is not a bad finisher when he gets into one on one situations, but that's part of the problem, think back to the goal he scored against scum last season, he doesn't make those kind of runs nearly often enough. His crossing has barely improved over the last 8 years, he can't generate any power whatsover in his shots, so many games this season I've wondered if he was even on the pitch he was so quiet. I just don't see him getting any better than he is now, I think he's actually declined to tell the truth and he's one player that needs to be benched, hopefully Lamela is the one to take his place.

Oh btw, it's Navas' first season in the English league, expect more next season. He's proved for Spain and Sevilla what a good player he is.

Every "starting" left/right midfielder/winger in the league:

Goals (per 90 minutes)

Code:
Podolski 0.67
Rodriguez 0.53
Walcott 0.52
Schurrle 0.48
Hazard 0.45
Sterling 0.38
Sigurdsson 0.37
Dejagah 0.36
Eriksen 0.33
Assaidi 0.32
Deulofeu 0.31
A.Johnson 0.31
Mirallas 0.31
Brady 0.30
Silva 0.30
Dyer 0.27
Lallana 0.27
Borini 0.26
Puncheon 0.25
Januzaj 0.23
Nasri 0.23
Snodgrass 0.22
Ben Arfa 0.21
Goufran 0.21
Willian 0.21
Navas 0.20
Arnautovic 0.17
Weimann 0.18
Amalfitano 0.17
Richardson 0.16
Boyd 0.15
Brunt 0.13
P.Hernandez 0.13
Whittingham 0.11
Jarvis 0.09
Sissoko 0.09
Valencia 0.09
Routledge 0.07
Chadli 0.06
Pienaar 0.05
Downing 0.04
[B]Lennon 0.04[/B]
Redmond 0.04
Bolasie 0.00

Assists (per 90 minutes)

Code:
P.Hernandez 0.44
Walcott 0.42
Silva 0.39
Eriksen 0.38
Navas 0.35
Deulofeu 0.31
Mirallas 0.31
Arnautovic 0.29
Nasri 0.26
Hazard 0.22
Ben Arfa 0.21
Brunt 0.21
Sterling 0.21
Bolasie 0.19
Chadli 0.19
Sissoko 0.18
Whittingham 0.18
Januzaj 0.17
Podolski 0.17
Boyd 0.15
A.Johnson 0.15
Lallana 0.15
Dejagah 0.14
Jarvis 0.14
Valencia 0.14
Weimann 0.14
Amalfitano 0.13
Redmond 0.13
[B]Lennon 0.12[/B]
Richardson 0.12
Dyer 0.11
Gouffran 0.11
Pienaar 0.11
Rodriguez 0.11
Willian 0.11
Brady 0.10
Routledge 0.10
Borini 0.09
Downing 0.07
Puncheon 0.07
Shurrle 0.07
Snodgrass 0.07
Assaidi 0.00
Sigurdsson 0.00

Chances created (per 90 minutes)

Code:
Silva 3.58
Willian 3.43
Nasri 3.15
Eriksen 3.05
Hazard 2.83
Navas 2.83
Walcott 2.41
Mirallas 2.36
Snodgrass 2.36
Sissoko 2.32
Downing 2.24
A.Johnson 2.22
P.Hernandez 2.08
Ben Arfa 2.06
Sterling 2.03
Lallana 1.97
Arnautovic 1.96
Amalfitano 1.95
Chadli 1.92
Schurrle 1.86
Whittingham 1.82
Januzaj 1.74
Puncheon 1.73
Brunt 1.67
Pienaar 1.59
Dejagah 1.57
Routledge 1.55
Assaidi 1.54
Redmond 1.47
[B]Lennon 1.45[/B]
Jarvis 1.41
Brady 1.31
Dyer 1.30
Boyd 1.26
Valencia 1.20
Weimann 1.16
Borini 1.14
Sigurdsson 1.13
Bolasie 1.11
Gouffran 0.99
Deulofeu 0.92
Rodriguez 0.70
Richardson 0.86
Podolski 0.58

Thanks for posting. Makes grim reading for Lennon.

It's not just about the stats, can you honestly say that Lennon's overall play is good enough? He actually is not a bad finisher when he gets into one on one situations, but that's part of the problem, think back to the goal he scored against scum last season, he doesn't make those kind of runs nearly often enough. His crossing has barely improved over the last 8 years, he can't generate any power whatsover in his shots, so many games this season I've wondered if he was even on the pitch he was so quiet. I just don't see him getting any better than he is now, I think he's actually declined to tell the truth and he's one player that needs to be benched, hopefully Lamela is the one to take his place.

Oh btw, it's Navas' first season in the English league, expect more next season. He's proved for Spain and Sevilla what a good player he is.

I agree that Navas is a very good player, my point was one about "end product" in terms of goals and assists, specifically for traditional wingers like them.

I think Lennon has looked better under Sherwood as our attacking play has improved. I agree that he won't be able to shoot with real power or deliver those drilled crosses at any point, but he has shown that he can be a very useful player in a team with a functional setup.

I'm not sure he should be first choice either, but he's a very good option to have and I really don't think we should get rid.

I agree that Navas is a very good player, my point was one about "end product" in terms of goals and assists, specifically for traditional wingers like them.

I think Lennon has looked better under Sherwood as our attacking play has improved. I agree that he won't be able to shoot with real power or deliver those drilled crosses at any point, but he has shown that he can be a very useful player in a team with a functional setup.

I'm not sure he should be first choice either, but he's a very good option to have and I really don't think we should get rid.

I wouldn't necessarily sell him, but it's almost as if he has built up some sort of reputation that he's undroppable, he's gone through various spells of bad patches of form and yet he maintains his place in the side season in season out for the most part. And to top it off he's injury prone, has he ever managed 30 league games in one season?

I wouldn't necessarily sell him, but it's almost as if he has built up some sort of reputation that he's undroppable, he's gone through various spells of bad patches of form and yet he maintains his place in the side season in season out for the most part. And to top it off he's injury prone, has he ever managed 30 league games in one season?

He's maintained his place because no one has been better than him for the most part. I wanted to see Lamela given more game time under AVB, but other than him I've rarely or never thought that Lennon should have been dropped for someone else. He's seen off challenges for his place by players like Routledge and Bentley and rightly kept his place for me.

If we can improve on him I'm all for it like with all players, and I think he might very well find himself on the bench at the start of next season.

He started 33 league games last season, 26 this season.

After such a great performance don't want to be negative but rather we saw the difference today of having 3 players behind ade who have end product we looked so dangerous throughout.

Lennon should only play in Europa and cups if he stays on

Those front four players have to be all about goals. Scoring more than two takes the pressure off. Lennon has been a loyal and clever player but he just doesn't score enough. Great sub and cup player though. Not sure there is room for both him and Townsend in that role. And Townsend is younger and more hungry.

After such a great performance don't want to be negative but rather we saw the difference today of having 3 players behind ade who have end product we looked so dangerous throughout.

Lennon should only play in Europa and cups if he stays on
It's a long season, I think that it would be foolish to write anyone off after three games. If Lennon is still with us after the window closes, I am sure that he will have a role to play but the three behind Adebayor did look really good today.

Those front four players have to be all about goals. Scoring more than two takes the pressure off. Lennon has been a loyal and clever player but he just doesn't score enough. Great sub and cup player though. Not sure there is room for both him and Townsend in that role. And Townsend is younger and more hungry.

Agree on all counts.

If a starting 11 like today's can give us the lead going into the final half hour, I can see Lennon playing a useful role in the final 30 mins. He's still got a great set of wheels and clearly has established a reputation for responsible defensive play.

Put him out there as a counter-attacking threat with a focus on making sure his defensive role is a priority. Great target for a cleared ball and just the sort of terrier to take time and space away from rivals as we try to clog up a midfield whilst nursing a lead.

Where he's been vulnerable in the past is if we're chasing the game and the opponent can sit deep and take away space on the wing or stifle his ability to get round the back of defenders. Not only does that limit his effectiveness, but he's endured some batterings from defenders looking to lessen his effectiveness with a bit of a 'reducer' tackle.

Back