• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Your preferred formation and starting 11

I also think Regulion would work well as a Pochettino type left back (as would Sessegnon).

If the choice was Thomas Tuchel or Poch, would you prefer Poch? For the record I think we must stick with a manager for a decent spell so they can develop a team with balance. Chopping and changing is actually the issue. Not Conte. The only reason to change now, is if club and manager don't see a future together next season. In which case, I'd go for Tuchel. Poch a close second for me.

If the choice was Thomas Tuchel or Poch, would you prefer Poch? For the record I think we must stick with a manager for a decent spell so they can develop a team with balance. Chopping and changing is actually the issue. Not Conte. The only reason to change now, is if club and manager don't see a future together next season. In which case, I'd go for Tuchel. Poch a close second for me.

Tuchel is another disciplinarian. It would be like voting for a 4th term Tory government when public services are already collapsing. It can't all always be pain.

Poch or Gallardo should be the choice for me.

Tuchel is another disciplinarian. It would be like voting for a 4th term Tory government when public services are already collapsing. It can't all always be pain.

Poch or Gallardo should be the choice for me.

Tuchel plays good football wherever he has been and has won things to boot, let's get some happy clapping feel good manager that makes you feel good without any trophies. A lott like the Labour government, all fuzz without any substance. Tony Blair still needs to be tried at the Hague. Tories are brick too btw

Tuchel plays good football wherever he has been and has won things to boot, let's get some happy clapping feel good manager that makes you feel good without any trophies. A lott like the Labour government, all fuzz without any substance. Tony Blair still needs to be tried at the Hague. Tories are brick too btw

Amen to that, always been a Labour man but promised myself i would not do so again. I have good friends who lost sons because of Blair and his lies.

I think you just nailed Spurs and UK politics in 4 sentences.

Most of Tuchels trophies came with PSG, which Poch has in his locker as well - he has the CL win at Chelsea over Poch's runner up medal with us. Not really much in that is there?

Chelsea fans that i have read online seemed to hate his style of football as well.

Edit : won the German cup with Dortmund tbf

Have the last few appointments not taught you anything wrt to judging a manager off his trophy haul at better positioned clubs?

Last edited:
Porro Romero Dier Gvardiol Sessengon

Bentancur Sarr

Kulu Kane Son
If we can't sign top quality now, then:

Kulu Romero Dier Lenglet Sessengon

Bentancur Sarr

Son Kane Richarlison

The challenge with this line up is neither Sess nor Lenglet are 'grounded' yet. Both are flighty, not the most instinctive defenders and lack confidence. That should be okay for the WB, but combined they leave us a little jittery. If you don't want Kulu to be played at RWB I get you, but it does allow us to get more quality players into the side. The solution would be to sign someone like Sarr at Watford, who's a winger, but could fulfill the role. We need a backline of defenders who can also play like midfielders. 5 at the back necessitates having players who can transition from defenders into midfielders. All have to be good on the ball and able to step out into midfield.

Bentancur Sarr

Kulu Kane Son
If we can't sign top quality now, then:

Kulu Romero Dier Lenglet Sessengon

Bentancur Sarr

Son Kane Richarlison

The challenge with this line up is neither Sess nor Lenglet are 'grounded' yet. Both are flighty, not the most instinctive defenders and lack confidence. That should be okay for the WB, but combined they leave us a little jittery. If you don't want Kulu to be played at RWB I get you, but it does allow us to get more quality players into the side. The solution would be to sign someone like Sarr at Watford, who's a winger, but could fulfill the role. We need a backline of defenders who can also play like midfielders. 5 at the back necessitates having players who can transition from defenders into midfielders. All have to be good on the ball and able to step out into midfield.

I have no idea how
- You would play Sess in front of Perisic, in any circumstance
- I'd play Doherty on his wrong side before Sess, at least he could cut in and be a goal threat.
- Putting Kulu at WB puts one of our only creative outlets further from goal
- Why 3 up front with Son in his current form? and if forced to play 3 up, surely if has to be Kane/Kulu/Richarlison, fudge, Gil before Son on current form.

The issue comes from trying to force this 3 at the back BS, go back to 4, put an extra man in midfield, fudge it, take one out of back, one out of top, put two extra in midfield and actually control a game.

I have no idea how
- You would play Sess in front of Perisic, in any circumstance
- I'd play Doherty on his wrong side before Sess, at least he could cut in and be a goal threat.
- Putting Kulu at WB puts one of our only creative outlets further from goal
- Why 3 up front with Son in his current form? and if forced to play 3 up, surely if has to be Kane/Kulu/Richarlison, fudge, Gil before Son on current form.

The issue comes from trying to force this 3 at the back BS, go back to 4, put an extra man in midfield, fudge it, take one out of back, one out of top, put two extra in midfield and actually control a game.

This isn't Countdown.

Erm...Sess has the legs, and is actually the better defender. Perisic's crossing is another level to Sess, but that will come. Son also doesn't play as well with Perisic. I think Perisic covers Son. So I'd rotate them. Son was the Golden boot winner last season. After the WC, huge season last season, Korea trip etc he does need rotation and recuperation. But he's still the same player with the same ability to tuck the ball away. It is our lack of coordinated attacks and failing to open up space that is the issue.

If you play Kulu at RWB we can get more quality into the side. That can't be a bad thing, and there is no reason he can not attack with similar intent to now. With 5 at the back, the WBs are attacking players are they not? But a signing like Ismaila Sarr to play RWB with Kulu able to interchange/support would be ideal.

Plenty of sides make good of 3 at the back. Successful football sides don't concede a lot of goals. So having a wall of defenders has some logic. However, they have to be able to transition, and be midfielders when in possession or else it leaves you lacking in the middle of the pitch.

Last edited:
Most of Tuchels trophies came with PSG, which Poch has in his locker as well - he has the CL win at Chelsea over Poch's runner up medal with us. Not really much in that is there?

Chelsea fans that i have read online seemed to hate his style of football as well.

Edit : won the German cup with Dortmund tbf

Have the last few appointments not taught you anything wrt to judging a manager off his trophy haul at better positioned clubs?

Taught me that we are no better off with or without trophy managers and change may be needed elsewhere ... but pedigree is pedigree and if the team is complete I'd rather have someone who knows how to win vs a naive upstart. And yes i actually think Mourinho would have done a number over city in the final.

Taught me that we are no better off with or without trophy managers and change may be needed elsewhere ... but pedigree is pedigree and if the team is complete I'd rather have someone who knows how to win vs a naive upstart. And yes i actually think Mourinho would have done a number over city in the final.

Regarding pedigree I'm not really seeing it in the context of Tuchel over Poch for the reasons in the first post tbh

Can't be bothered with Mourinho, think you know what i think of our chances v City in that match lol

I think the broader question for me (relatively new concept) is more manager fit

Let's assume you can break the PL down into categories

1. Elite clubs, legitimate challengers, majority of squad in place, for all intents unlimited resources (comparatively) - City/Chelsea/United soon to be Saudi Sportswashing Machine
2. Top 6, clearly above the rest of league, decent resources, budgets need to be managed, squad probably has holes or needs depth - Spurs, Arsenal
3. Best of the rest, established PL sides, potentially can momentarily match budgets of sides in group 2, ambitions for top 6/europe spot - Leicester, Everton (normally), West Ham, Palace, etc.
4. The rest, each year goal is survival, budget limited, talent of players likely limited/journeyman

I think what we are seeing is a good, even brilliant manager for one group doesn't necessarily translate to another group.

What I also question is the tactics/style

- With Jose & Conte, we have adopted for a primarily defensive manager, a concept that seems to work in group 1 and also in group 4 (and we can discuss why)
- History (recent) suggest it won't work with us
Our "successful" managers - BMJ, Harry, Poch
Our "unsuccessful" managers - Ramos, AVB, Jose

Hence I have concerns re Tuchel

Right now its avoiding square pegs in round holes and maximising the strengths of each player.

Forget flying wingers or 3 cbs ...we don't have the personnel's. Back 4 with Royal , Romero , lenglet/dier, Davies would do fine.

Double pivot to strengthen the defence further... sarr and bentancur

Three in front of the double pivot that press and attack but full.discretion to do either...kulu, Kane and perisic

1 in Attack to take advantage of the quick counter...rotate son and Richardson and tactics depending on how high the other team's line is

Organised and disciplined with the back 6.
Fluid and unpredictable with the front 4. Quick counters over possession.

Right now its avoiding square pegs in round holes and maximising the strengths of each player.

Forget flying wingers or 3 cbs ...we don't have the personnel's. Back 4 with Royal , Romero , lenglet/dier, Davies would do fine.

Double pivot to strengthen the defence further... sarr and bentancur

Three in front of the double pivot that press and attack but full.discretion to do either...kulu, Kane and perisic

1 in Attack to take advantage of the quick counter...rotate son and Richardson and tactics depending on how high the other team's line is

Organised and disciplined with the back 6.
Fluid and unpredictable with the front 4. Quick counters over possession.

Conte never will but

- I'd agree with the back 4 (the 3 isn't doing brick either defensively or offensively)
- With the extra man in midfield, I'd even consider asking Kane to drop deeper (so really load midfield) and have Richi +Deki/Son doing the running up front, Kane +1 midfielder could be your late runners into box to create your overload.

Reggie has had major surgery with some stomach issue
He isnt coming back this season for sure
Nope:
Reguilon saw red in Atletico Madrid's 1-1 draw away at Almeria on Sunday. Entering the fray midway through the second half, the left-back was given a yellow card in the 85th minute for dissent before receiving another yellow four minutes later after appearing to catch his opponent with his arm when contesting for a header.

Now set to miss out through suspension, his quick dismissal will not have gone down well with boss Diego Simeone as he looks to try and force his way into his starting XI after an injury-hit start to his time with Atleti.

I think the broader question for me (relatively new concept) is more manager fit

Let's assume you can break the PL down into categories

1. Elite clubs, legitimate challengers, majority of squad in place, for all intents unlimited resources (comparatively) - City/Chelsea/United soon to be Saudi Sportswashing Machine
2. Top 6, clearly above the rest of league, decent resources, budgets need to be managed, squad probably has holes or needs depth - Spurs, Arsenal
3. Best of the rest, established PL sides, potentially can momentarily match budgets of sides in group 2, ambitions for top 6/europe spot - Leicester, Everton (normally), West Ham, Palace, etc.
4. The rest, each year goal is survival, budget limited, talent of players likely limited/journeyman

I think what we are seeing is a good, even brilliant manager for one group doesn't necessarily translate to another group.

What I also question is the tactics/style

- With Jose & Conte, we have adopted for a primarily defensive manager, a concept that seems to work in group 1 and also in group 4 (and we can discuss why)
- History (recent) suggest it won't work with us
Our "successful" managers - BMJ, Harry, Poch
Our "unsuccessful" managers - Ramos, AVB, Jose

Hence I have concerns re Tuchel
Liverpool?.....group 2 I'd guess?

Nope:
Reguilon saw red in Atletico Madrid's 1-1 draw away at Almeria on Sunday. Entering the fray midway through the second half, the left-back was given a yellow card in the 85th minute for dissent before receiving another yellow four minutes later after appearing to catch his opponent with his arm when contesting for a header.

Now set to miss out through suspension, his quick dismissal will not have gone down well with boss Diego Simeone as he looks to try and force his way into his starting XI after an injury-hit start to his time with Atleti.
Yep
He ain’t coming back

fudge it, england won 6 european cups on the bounce playing 442. Time to bring it back.

Lloris
Emerson Romero Lenglet Davies
Kulu Saar Bentancur Peresic
Kane Son

After that game, I'm amending my selection to keep Hojbjerg. He was everywhere tonight.

Bentancur Hojbjerg

Kulu Kane Son​

Conte again used Kulu as a RWB this evening and again it worked well with more space for Kulu, as Richarlison drew the defender. But I'm done with Lenglet. So amending my poverty-spec selection (if we can't sign anyone):

Kulu Romero Dier Davies Sessengon

Bentancur Sarr Hojbjerg

Son Kane​

Davies is not really good enough, but he has spatial awareness and intelligence. He showed last season he can be a very decent defender when just doing the simple things well. In possession, he's not good enough, just pass it quickly and accurately Ben. Bentancur and Hojbjerg have shown they can chip in with goals. Both have ability to finish well. Need Hojberg to play 1-2s with Sess. That is when Sess looks good (at fullham) flying down the wing with someone to bounce balls off. But really we need a new LCB, and maybe another CCB.

Back