• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Your preferred formation and starting 11

Mulletperm

Mauricio Taricco
There are heaps of comments from people bemoaning Conte's lack of flexibility when it comes to his formation. Which, judging by how we are playing and conceding goals, isn't working with the players we have.

How would you line us up with all players fit?

I think I'd go for something like:

..........................Lloris...........................
Doherty/Royal..Romero...Dier/Lenglet.....Davies
...............PEH/Sarr.....Bentancur/Skipp.........
Kulu.....................Kane..............Son/Perisic
.....................Richarlison.........................

If people think Ben Davies can get back to being a top left back, or even a passable one we may as well give Hugo a 5 year contract too, just in case

3-1-4-2 is his is play it

Forster in goal so we have a keeper who doesn’t give the position the advantage before the game starts

Romero, Dier, Lenglet… or even Davies. At Cb combo could work with a half decent keeper

Sarr with Bentacur and Pierre in front . Bentactur being smart and Pierre doing his spoiling role

Flanked by Perisic and Kulu

Kane and richy up front.

--------‐----------------Lloris

Spence-----Romero----Dier-------Udogie

‐--‐--------Bentancur--------Sarr

Kulusevski‐--------Kane-‐-------Son

‐-------------------Richarlison

--------‐----------------Lloris

Spence-----Romero----Dier-------Udogie

‐--‐--------Bentancur--------Sarr

Kulusevski‐--------Kane-‐-------Son

‐-------------------Richarlison
Got to remember that when Udogie joins us Kane will be gone to another club
Would be interesting to see him okay left back rather than wing back though

Got to remember that when Udogie joins us Kane will be gone to another club
Would be interesting to see him okay left back rather than wing back though

I don't think anyone is buying Kane. He's past his sell by date now. Maybe an Eriksen style £10m to Bayern in 12 months time. But no one above us will pay what we want for him this summer.

I don't think anyone is buying Kane. He's past his sell by date now. Maybe an Eriksen style £10m to Bayern in 12 months time. But no one above us will pay what we want for him this summer.

kane will go this summer for £70/£80m to city or united and that team will win the league
He is world class and is far from past it and you will see it

For the rest of the season:

Lloris
Romero Dier Davies
Doherty Bentancur Sarr Perisic
Kulusevski
Kane Richarlison

In a 3-5-2, Kulusevski playing in the AM role in front of Bentancur and Sarr, behind the 2 strikers.

Beyond that, once Conte is gone, we'll see the end of wingbacks and maybe the best of Emerson Royal, so don't sell him and don't bother buying a RWB. Get a proper LCB that can play in a 2 with Romero.

I could see something like:

GK: ??? / Forster
RB: Royal / Spence
RCB: Romero / Dier
LCB: ??? / Davies
LB: Reguillon / Udogie
CM: Bentancur / Sarr
CM: Bissouma / Skipp
RW: Kulusevski / Gil
AM: ??? / Lo Celso?!
LW: Son / Perisic
ST: Kane / Richarlison

Sell:
Lloris, Sanchez, Tanganga, Doherty, Sessegnon, Hojbjerg

Plenty more that could be upgraded in there but I think there's a decent base for someone to work with.

Last edited:
kane will go this summer for £70/£80m to city or united and that team will win the league
He is world class and is far from past it and you will see it

Plus other team’s supporters will suddenly realise how good he is instead of constantly criticising him. I think players get marked down in people’s minds because they play for us. Whilst that isn’t always wrong, it is for Kane.

Lloris
Romero Lenglet Davies
Kulusevski ------ Sarr --------- Perisic
Bentancur Bissouma
Kane Richarlson

Inspired by a @Bedfordspurs post in another thread - gets Son out of the team, 2 CFs, 2 wide players who can cross, defenders who are good on the ball, a DM who looks like a prospect who can also do the basics, like recieve the ball and turn FORWARDS without needing 10 sqm and multiple touches to do so. Banking on Bissouma coming good if given a run in a 3 man midfield.

Last edited:
All this exercise has done for me is highlight that we have so many desperate areas where improvement is needed.

We need a top quality centre back who is comfortable on the ball. We need an attacking midfielder who can be a presence in midfield. We need a keeper who is good with the ball at his feet. We need proper full backs so that we can play 4 at the back.

I would add my preferred 11 but to me there is no set of players strong enough to fill my desired formation of 4231.

If we want to play spence and udogie in a four we’d need much better protection from midfield and a class cb to play alongside romero. Would be fun to Watch at least.

keep thinking that poch would find alot of pieces fitting with this squad. An am and he’d be able to play his preffered system. He’d love Romero, spence, udogie, sarr, kulusevski and bentancur I think.

As long as we are prepared to play out of form players who are offering little, players who won't learn from their mistakes and player others out of position to enable us to squeeze the first two into the team, formation and tactics won't really make a difference.

Both of these would be far more solid than Conte's 3-4-3 and with the quality up top, we'd have enough threat to score a couple a game, which would be enough

-------------------------Lloris----------------------------

-----Romero-----------Dier----------------Lenglet-------

---Kulu---------------------------------------------Perisic---
---------Bentancur------Skipp-------Sarr---------------

---------------Kane--------------Richarlison-----------

or

-------------------------Lloris----------------------------

---Doherty----Romero------Lenglet-----Davies-----

---------Bentancur------Skipp-------Sarr---------------

-----------Kulu---------Kane-------Richarlison-----------

--Royal-----Romero-----Lenglet-----Reguilgon--

-------------PEH------------------Sarr----------------

----------------------Bentancur-----------------------

--------Kulu----------------------------------Son/Richie

-------------------------Kane

If we are going to a back 4 then lets pick our best actual FBs. The midfield composition isn't perfect but its the best combo we have with potentially Skipp in for PEH. Long term i'd drop Bentacur back into one of the deeper positions alongside Sarr and bring in an actual AM to help create. I would if playing this system want an upgrade on the keeper. I think its the best of what we currently have. It still lacks creativity but I think we would be a little more solid and have better possession of the ball.

All this exercise has done for me is highlight that we have so many desperate areas where improvement is needed.

We need a top quality centre back who is comfortable on the ball. We need an attacking midfielder who can be a presence in midfield. We need a keeper who is good with the ball at his feet. We need proper full backs so that we can play 4 at the back.

I would add my preferred 11 but to me there is no set of players strong enough to fill my desired formation of 4231.
The problem is we constantly think players aren't good enough. Need a 'rebuild' 'clear out'....happy with the signings, then not so happy 6/12 months later.

For example...If we had this 11 taking the field for us at the start of the season.....we'd do our nut. There's is 3 maybe 4 players in that team we'd consider 'good enough'.?
But they are all good enough.....and that's down to the manager. His coaching, his tactics , his system, his beliefs.
Screenshot_2023-01-16-09-33-06-02_d29973efd0ded056752aedcf6cbf62ac.jpg

The problem is we constantly think players aren't good enough. Need a 'rebuild' 'clear out'....happy with the signings, then not so happy 6/12 months later.

For example...If we had this 11 taking the field for us at the start of the season.....we'd do our nut. There's is 3 maybe 4 players in that team we'd consider 'good enough'.?
But they are all good enough.....and that's down to the manager. His coaching, his tactics , his system, his beliefs.
View attachment 14943

So stick with our squad and boot out Conte?

View attachment 14943

Exactly what i keep saying. Saudi Sportswashing Machine first XI is worse than ours. 100%. I dont rate Levy and several of our players highly (Dier) but we have a better First XI than Saudi Sportswashing Machine and their coach is maximising their squad and ability. Ours isn't

Two options

Variation on the Conte theme (3-5-2)

Lloris

Doherty/Spence - Romero - Dier - Lenglet - Perisic

Bentancur - PEH - Bissouma/Sarr

Deki/Richarlison - Kane/Son

Non Conte (4-2-3-1)

Lloris

Royal - Romero - Dier - Reguilon/Davies

PEH - Sarr/Skipp

Deki - Bentancur - Richarlison/Son

Kane

What becomes obvious in that view is the immediate upgrade list isn't as bad

GK, someone who can play with their feet
CB, Upgrade on Dier
CM, a creative player, possession recycle

Last edited:
Two options

Variation on the Conte theme (3-5-2)

Lloris

Doherty/Spence - Romero - Dier - Lenglet - Perisic

Bentancur - PEH - Bissouma/Sarr

Deki - Kane - Richarlison/Son

Non Conte (4-2-3-1)

Lloris

Royal - Romero - Dier - Reguilon/Davies

PEH - Sarr/Skipp

Deki - Bentancur - Richarlison/Son

Kane

What becomes obvious in that view is the immediate upgrade list isn't as bad

GK, someone who can play with their feet
CB, Upgrade on Dier
CM, a creative player, possession recycle

Interesting; i think Sarr (or even Gil) could be that creative CM player but we'd have to be a team more naturally on the front foot.
Another uncomfortable question might be: is Richarlison our ready-made Kane replacement without the silky touch?

So stick with our squad and boot out Conte?

Kinda

- GK, CB & CM probably still need addressing
- Royal & Reguilon probably come back into equation if you go 4 at the back (FBs are easier right now to find than WB's)
- Another coach could probably get more use out of the younger players (Spence, Sarr, Gil, Udogie), and start planning for eventual integration of Scarlett, Devine, etc.

Big issue will be we still need to sell/move on permanently -> Ndombele, Lo Celso, Rodon, Winks, Sanchez, Tanganga, Lucas, probably Sess

Back