• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup 2018 Round of 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just realized why I’ve never seen Pickford interviewed before :D

At one point, I thought he was going to have to refer to his notes. Fortunately, Southgate had the presence of mind to have the required lines stencilled on the back of Eric Dier's head.

Good saves though.

Tells you everything you need to know about Vardy. It really is disgraceful that he didn’t step up.

He can only play one way (latching onto a ball over the top) and England don’t play that way - thankfully - so it was a waste of time taking him.

I don't think it was a matter of stepping up. I think Southgate knew who he wanted to take the pens based on alm the practice they have already put in. I imagine Southgate didn't think Vardys smash it as hard as you can and hope for the best approach was suitable for a world cup pen shoot out. All the England pens were calmly placed and looked well rehearsed.

People were slagging dele earlier but he is missed when he isn’t there

People slagging Dele don't understand the role he is playing. I spent pathetic amounts of time explaining to people that he plays in behind Kane at ours, but for this tournament he has been playing a deeper role to allow Sterling and Linguard to buzz around and take up supportive positions, thus essentially looking to prompt from deep. His defensive work is also not to be underrated, and I think he is sacrificing HIS nature and style for the team first and foremost. If Rashford or Loftus-Cheek had started today, this would've been a different story IMO...

Last edited:
I don't think it was a matter of stepping up. I think Southgate knew who he wanted to take the pens based on alm the practice they have already put in. I imagine Southgate didn't think Vardys smash it as hard as you can and hope for the best approach was suitable for a world cup pen shoot out. All the England pens were calmly placed and looked well rehearsed.

Vardy was down as 6th penalty taker by all accounts and it was Southgate who chose the order

An interesting parallel in the interviews with Trippier and Dier. When the questions were all about the penalties and they could have just basked in the praise, they both brought up their mistakes (mistimed jump for Colombia goal and missed header) and said they needed to make up for them. There is a self-awareness there,

Don't want Wilmar Barrios anywhere near Spurs. Based on last night's performance he would spend more time suspended than playing.

People slagging Dele don't understand the role he is playing. I spent pathetic amounts of time explaining to people that he plays in behind Kane at ours, but for this tournament he has been playing a deeper role to allow Sterling and Linguard to buzz around and take up supportive positions, thus essentially looking to prompt from deep. His defensive work is also not to be underrated, and I think he is sacrificing HIS nature and style for the team first and foremost. If Rashford or Loftus-Cheek had started today, this would've been a different story IMO...

Dele is the only player in the"midfield" with a pass in him, Lingard has good movement, Sterling has ......., Henderson is like my daughter's dog, runs after the ball but doesn't know where he is most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back