• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Why has Michael Jackson not been cancelled?

Even the Dalai Lama has now come out with a chequered and questionable past of asking young boys to suck on his tongue. Few people apologising for him saying it's playful but surely that's the point, playful attracts kids who know no better? So many decent on the face of it people spoil it....

Generally though people won't condemn or cancel things that are an inconvenience to their passions and hobbies IMO. Look at football and all that goes on, people don't care enough to challenge it because it would be too much of a burden on their weekend and potential success. We make heroes of despicable people whilst decent people generally get ridiculed and ignored in general

Sent from my SM-A127F using Fapatalk

I have just seen the clip of the Dalai Lama thing and I am so utterly confused/ worried about his actions there.

In the full view of cameras / press he got a kid who isn't related to him to kiss him on the lips, as if that is acceptable in any way, the tongue sucking thing is as unbelievable but there's case albirt miniscule for it being a "joke" even if there is absolutely no element of humour or appropriacy but the kiss thing - Like what the actual fudge.

We expect it from Catholic priests behind closed doors but the Pope is usually wise enough to not proposition minors on live television, whether in the public eye or not obviously all of it is truly disgusting and reprehensible

It's horrendous as the kid respectfully asked for consent to hug him which is a healthy question to ask and then it was escalated to something else that'll sadly live with him forever.

I have just seen the clip of the Dalai Lama thing and I am so utterly confused/ worried about his actions there.

In the full view of cameras / press he got a kid who isn't related to him to kiss him on the lips, as if that is acceptable in any way, the tongue sucking thing is as unbelievable but there's case albirt miniscule for it being a "joke" even if there is absolutely no element of humour or appropriacy but the kiss thing - Like what the actual fudge.

We expect it from Catholic priests behind closed doors but the Pope is usually wise enough to not proposition minors on live television, whether in the public eye or not obviously all of it is truly disgusting and reprehensible

It's horrendous as the kid respectfully asked for consent to hug him which is a healthy question to ask and then it was escalated to something else that'll sadly live with him forever.
And he is suppose to enlightened and all knowing

Sent from my SM-A127F using Fapatalk

Just terrible...

I read about this and wondered if the tongue sucking was a cultural thing, we all have different customs after all, and it had been misinterpreted.
It just seems so bizarre (apologies to any Buddhist if it is an accepted custom), and a but icky.

I read about this and wondered if the tongue sucking was a cultural thing, we all have different customs after all, and it had been misinterpreted.
It just seems so bizarre (apologies to any Buddhist if it is an accepted custom), and a but icky.

As I said, even without the tongue thing it's horrendous. It's hugely worrying that anyone, never mind a religious leader doesn't know it's not really appropriate to kiss a child on the lips ( I know there's a general debate whether it's okay if it's your own son / daughter but that's another can of worms). I don't think that's me being holier than thou - Thou being the Dalai Lama not yourself!

Buddhism tends to be the least offensive / most reasonable long formed organised religion in line with modern standards where racism / slavery / homophobia / bigotry isn't tolerated but even if the tongue thing was a custom, apologising for criticising it is a bit of a nonsense mate (imo of course). Not sure if you have kids but hypothetically if someone did what the guy did to your child and then suggested it was okay in their culture, I doubt that would fly as a justification. Some things / behaviors are absolutely justified to be intolerant of.

Just purely on consent level and there being a worrying power imbalance in that dynamic I can't wrap my head around the thought process...

As I said, even without the tongue thing it's horrendous. It's hugely worrying that anyone, never mind a religious leader doesn't know it's not really appropriate to kiss a child on the lips ( I know there's a general debate whether it's okay if it's your own son / daughter but that's another can of worms). I don't think that's me being holier than thou - Thou being the Dalai Lama not yourself!

Buddhism tends to be the least offensive / most reasonable long formed organised religion in line with modern standards where racism / slavery / homophobia / bigotry isn't tolerated but even if the tongue thing was a custom, apologising for criticising it is a bit of a nonsense mate (imo of course). Not sure if you have kids but hypothetically if someone did what the guy did to your child and then suggested it was okay in their culture, I doubt that would fly as a justification. Some things / behaviors are absolutely justified to be intolerant of.

Just purely on consent level and there being a worrying power imbalance in that dynamic I can't wrap my head around the thought process...

I don't have kids, so i take your point there.
The tongue sucking just seemed like such a weird thing to do, thats why i wondered if its was a local thing.
Not seen the video but i assumed it was a Buddhist child, is it not?
Tbh i wouldn't like to criticise something that my culture finds unacceptable but others don't.
There could be perfectly reasonable explanation for it, it's not my place to judge.
At the moment it doesn't appear to be the norm so i understand the outrage, but I'm also wary of falling into the trap of prejudice.
And if it was my child, no i would not be happy.

I don't have kids, so i take your point there.
The tongue sucking just seemed like such a weird thing to do, thats why i wondered if its was a local thing.
Not seen the video but i assumed it was a Buddhist child, is it not?
Tbh i wouldn't like to criticise something that my culture finds unacceptable but others don't.
There could be perfectly reasonable explanation for it, it's not my place to judge.
At the moment it doesn't appear to be the norm so i understand the outrage, but I'm also wary of falling into the trap of prejudice.
And if it was my child, no i would not be happy.

It's an interesting one on the reluctance of being judgemental, I get your point and we should be respectful and tolerant of different practices / traditions but there has to be a line, whilst also being wary of pretending / assuming that we (the we being modern western society) have it all figured out.

No idea if the kid was Buddhist but whatever religion he is, the right to not be coerced in to inappropriate physical touching by an adult is something that all humans should be entitled to (not meaning to suggest that you are explicitly implying otherwise). I don't believe it's prejudiced to be concerned by the behavior or the "playful joke" nor to say that pressuring an unrelated child to kiss you on the mouth can't be reasonably explained.

I'm sure many gammon types froth at the mouth and consider the idea of consent as some "woke" notion (GHod I hate how that word has been weaponised / co-opted as a bad thing or just used entirely out of the correct context ) it's no wonder children have to be educated on such things to protect and enforce boundaries.

Haha, quite. All the outrage over a relatively harmless thing, when catholic priests seem to have child molestation in their job descriptions. :p

Just for the record, I think the tongue sucking thing is weird as well, not sure why he did that, but it seems quite innocent and "playful" rather than something sexual to me. I can't quite see the Dalai Lama being a peadophile, but who knows ...

Last edited:
Haha, quite. All the outrage over a relatively harmless thing, when catholic priests seem to have child molestation in their job descriptions. :p

Just for the record, I think the tongue sucking thing is weird as well, not sure why he did that, but it seems quite innocent and "playful" rather than something sexual to me. I can't quite see the Dalai Lama being a peadophile, but who knows ...

Not sure it's necessarily "relatively harmless" just because it's not as bad as other abuse that has happened. That all depends on how the child felt about it.
The Dalai Lama may or may not be a paedophile (they don't tend to wear badges) but at the very least it seems to be inappropriate behaviour towards a child.

If you're not outraged by a grown up in a position of power pressuring a child to kiss him on the lips after the kid had reasonably asked for a hug then I just don't know where to start. That's an outrageous action that merits outrage and is how it can be described as harmless is mystifying to me. The tongue joke thing is vaguely more defendable but still grim af. Not sure you'd describe it as harmless if it has happened to you or a family member of yours.

Obviously what sadly often happens behind closed doors under the protection of organised religion is more much more severe, I don't think anyone is accusing the Dalai Lama of sexually abusing kids, unless the kissing thing falls under that catagory, which i don't know if it does and probably varies in it's legal definition from country to country..

If you're not outraged by a grown up in a position of power pressuring a child to kiss him on the lips after the kid had reasonably asked for a hug then I just don't know where to start. That's an outrageous action that merits outrage and is how it can be described as harmless is mystifying to me. The tongue joke thing is vaguely more defendable but still grim af. Not sure you'd describe it as harmless if it has happened to you or a family member of yours.

Obviously what sadly often happens behind closed doors under the protection of organised religion is more much more severe, I don't think anyone is accusing the Dalai Lama of sexually abusing kids, unless the kissing thing falls under that catagory, which i don't know if it does and probably varies in it's legal definition from country to country..

I only saw the tongue thing, I didn't know there was kissing involved - what I saw just looked playful (albeit weird), but as you say, he's a person of power, and the kid would probably have felt pressured into listening to him, which of course isn't great. And I completely agree with Glenda over here, it all depends on how the child felt. But imagine in a situation like this, say if the child found it funny and playful and actually didn't think much about it, but then saw the massive response it got in the media! He'll obviously feel very differently about it just by the volume of news coverage this thing has gotten, it's bound to color his response to it in a negative fashion. I'm not saying he's not allowed to react negatively, of course, but there's a definite role of how

I know it's not comparable in the slightest, but I sometimes think back to when I was 13-14 - if a woman I found attractive wanted to have sex with me at the time, I would've jumped right on it! And I imagine I would've liked it - UNTIL someone started telling me it was wrong and abuse and all that brick. I'm just trying to say that stuff like this isn't always as cut and dry as we seem to think - I think we inadvertently push a lot of shame and guilt on the socalled "victim" of circumstances like this, which might make them feel more like a victim than they felt in the first place, simply by succumbing to our cultural bias of always thinking there's a victim in situations like this. I remember an old friend of mine, she was 14 when she got a boyfriend, who was 19 or something at the time. At the time everyone was cool with it (this was back in the 90's), they seemed to have a loving relationship (I think they were together for 4-5 years or something) - yet, in hindsight, people are very eager to criticize that relationship, because the guy was over 16 years old (the age limit for consensual sex), and supposedly took advantage of her. Now, I'm pretty sure she did not feel taken advantage of when they were together - so why the eagerness to judge? We have to see that there's a cultural bias here - and that we may be a bit quick to label everything as pedophilia just to be safe.

Shame is an interesting concept, and it makes us behave in ways that we think are innate, but maybe is way more learned than we tend to accept.

Last edited:
Shame is an interesting concept, and it makes us behave in ways that we think are innate, but maybe is way more learned than we tend to accept.

The world changes and people should change with it for better, its generally those that don't that get called out. I mean Elvis married an underage girl and that lifestyle was the norm in entertainment but even in then it was bad and rightfully worse now and the shame with it warranted.

I think with anything like this you have to put yourself in the shoes of both, would you ask a minor in any circumstance to suck your tongue? I can't see any rational reason for it, would you like to see it happen to your child? Same answer for me.

Its not an OTT outcry, its just rightfully called out as weird, the illusion of the reaction being overblown comes only due to the status of the person it involves not the level of reaction IMO

You could also flip it on its head and say the reaction to such things is often downplayed because of religion or level of power, thats certainly the case for many things that happen even today.

The world changes and people should change with it for better, its generally those that don't that get called out. I mean Elvis married an underage girl and that lifestyle was the norm in entertainment but even in then it was bad and rightfully worse now and the shame with it warranted.

I think with anything like this you have to put yourself in the shoes of both, would you ask a minor in any circumstance to suck your tongue? I can't see any rational reason for it, would you like to see it happen to your child? Same answer for me.

Its not an OTT outcry, its just rightfully called out as weird, the illusion of the reaction being overblown comes only due to the status of the person it involves not the level of reaction IMO

You could also flip it on its head and say the reaction to such things is often downplayed because of religion or level of power, thats certainly the case for many things that happen even today.

Yeah, I don't disagree with any of that, spot on. :)

Back