• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Who would we miss the most ?

Player that would be missed the most

• Modric

Votes: 60 40.3%
  • Van Der Vaart

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Bale

Votes: 44 29.5%
  • Parker

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Adebayor

Votes: 22 14.8%
  • Lennon

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Walker

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • BAE

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Friedel

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • Other....please specify

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I voted Modric. I wonder if Parker would have been the only player on that list to get 0 votes if this poll had been done back in Nov or Dec last year?

Possibly the rise of Livermore contriuted to the view of Parker as being somewhat replaceable. With Livermore, Sandro AND Parker, we've got three bespoke defensive midfielders, plus Hudd waiting in reserve to partner Modric if necessary. So he's not really going to be missed as much as Bale or Modric, though he would still be missed obviously.

I went Bale but if I look at this tomorrow morning i'll probably think Modric, We basically have two world class players that would get in to Barca's squad/1st team.

capable of doing what though? and to what acceptable level ?

Winning the midfield against 17, if not 19, teams in the league.

Yes, without Modric we'd lose our link between defence and attack, but we'd still be competitive and vdV would just come deeper from #10 to fill the gap a bit.

It's not a critical lose like vdV or Ade would be, as Krancjar and Saha don't seem to be trusted to do their roles.

As brilliant as Bale is, we cope without him.

We were well on our way to 4th before he broke through, winning games, scoring goals, playing possession football...

Without Modric every other player drops a grade. Bale doesnt see the ball, VDV doesnt suppor the striker as much, Ade is isolated, Lennon sits outside the game... Modric ties it all together.

The question was who would we miss the most? (Not who is the best? who is your favourite?) Modric is the only answer IMHO.

its not a humble opinion

Its totally correct. Anyone who cannot see it doesn't understand football.

IMHO

its not a humble opinion

Its totally correct. Anyone who cannot see it doesn't understand football.

IMHO

Not necessarily and your condescension will do little to win over the undecided to your argument.

Modric is undoubtedly our best player but that does not necessarily mean that he would be the hardest to replace. We have a number of players in the squad who can cover his role now (admittedly not to the same standard) whereas there are other positions where we are short of cover and it is difficult to sign replacements.

Team A

Lennon---------modric-----------Parker-----------kranjcar

---------------------------vdv--------------------------------

---------------------------Adebayor--------------------------

Team B

Lennon----------Sandro--------------Parker-----------Bale

------------------------------VDV---------------------------

----------------------------Adebayor------------------------

Team C

Lennon-----------Parker-----------Modric-------------Bale

----------------------------VDV------------------------------

---------------------------Defoe------------------------------

Which is the worst team?

Team C - I can't see Defoe and vdv working. Good midfield though.

I'd go with Modric because they are others players like him but none whose brains work as fast or technique allows them to implement their ideas so easily. The way he jockeys and feints in midfield is amazing, players simply can't tackle him, are terrified to do so.

Bale isn't far off him in terms of importance though, it was him who dragged as out of first gear when Swansea equalised the other night. I think he's more of a heroic player than Modric and that counts for a lot in tight situations (look at Gerrard for instance).

I'd go with Modric because they are others players like him but none whose brains work as fast or technique allows them to implement their ideas so easily. The way he jockeys and feints in midfield is amazing, players simply can't tackle him, are terrified to do so.

Bale isn't far off him in terms of importance though, it was him who dragged as out of first gear when Swansea equalised the other night. I think he's more of a heroic player than Modric and that counts for a lot in tight situations (look at Gerrard for instance).

Actual the comparison to Gerrard is apt I believe. Maybe not in playing style but in impact on the team and result. I think Bale is probably the only player who could single handedly win a match for us.

I picked Bale but there are obvious arguments for more than half the first team as being the 'most missed'. I guess what it tells me is that we have the best 1st team we've had in years and are just a few players away from a real tilt at the title. Who would have thought that a few years ago?

1 vote for VDV is surprising too as he's be may be 2nd or 3rd on my list. When VDV plays well Spurs win as far as I can see.

Modric controls the game for us, but goals change games and win games. Modric doesn't score enough goals at the end of the day. Even though Xavi and Iniesta may not score 20 goals a season, they both have a habit for popping up with important goals and assists at the right time.

Think back to last season. What cost us 4th place? It was our inability to score goals even though we dominated most games and had one of the best midfields in the country.

Modric controls the game for us, but goals change games and win games. Modric doesn't score enough goals at the end of the day. Even though Xavi and Iniesta may not score 20 goals a season, they both have a habit for popping up with important goals and assists at the right time.

Think back to last season. What cost us 4th place? It was our inability to score goals even though we dominated most games and had one of the best midfields in the country.

Without controlling a game, how can we reliably score goals?

Without Modric controlling the midfield as he does we dont get as much space and opportunity to create. Dont enjoy the possession we do. Dont turn teams onto their heels in an instant. Dont keep the ball as well...

Look at VDVs goal against Swansea. Without Modric Bale simply doesnt get released to create the goal. Scoring isnt the only way to measure worth. Neither are assists.

Not necessarily and your condescension will do little to win over the undecided to your argument.

Modric is undoubtedly our best player but that does not necessarily mean that he would be the hardest to replace. We have a number of players in the squad who can cover his role now (admittedly not to the same standard) whereas there are other positions where we are short of cover and it is difficult to sign replacements.

golly - did you just call me condescending?

and for what its worth, I think your explanation is wrong, because its about who we would miss the most, and therefore I stand by my assertion, that you would have to be a fool to not understand why it would be Modric.

If you want to stand in that line, then thats your choice.

golly - did you just call me condescending?

and for what its worth, I think your explanation is wrong, because its about who we would miss the most, and therefore I stand by my assertion, that you would have to be a fool to not understand why it would be Modric.

If you want to stand in that line, then thats your choice.
It's all very well saying that people don't understand football if they do not agree with your viewpoint, but surely you have to back it up with your explanation as to why you think Modric is the most missed?

Not that I disagree with your viewpoint (see my earlier post in the thread if you like), but I would like to hear your opinion on the matter.

Luka Modric's role within the team isn't to score goals - he doesn't have to when we have Van der Vaart, Bale, Adebayor and Defoe in our squad. He is the person that recycles possession, creates options for his teammates and creates chances for others.

You'd also think that Xavi would have a lot of assists to his name, but he surprisingly doesn't. I don't agree with comparing Iniesta to Modric either, they're two completely different players.

Back