• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Where is it going wrong in attack?

The problems are (i) that we lack creativity in CM and (ii) our wide men play too wide and leave Soldado isolated

I think that this is the crux of the issue. We need the three players playing behind the striker to get forward and support the attack quicker.

I think Capoue should be a mainstay in the team, as I think he is a better passer from deep than the rest of our quartet.

Early days for him but I was thinking this the other day. Sandro passing is the weakest part of his game, Dembele takes about 20 touches when he should take 2 touches and Paulinho's game is about getting up to support the CF not holding in a position in CM to keep the ball moving

Capoue hasn't played that many games but in those that he did I was impressed by the way he gave the ball quickly, simply and effectively. Our other CMs don't do that

I wonder if we're missing Capoue more than we realise?

This youtube highlights from the Tblisi game makes his contribution in terms of recycling possession seem possibly what is missing in terms of clever positioning to defend the back-four and also always being there as a optionfor forward players to pass to; oh and he seems to have a better passing awareness generally as well....

[video=youtube;s_-oya3I4xM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_-oya3I4xM[/video]

Capoue (although a better player), reminds me very much of Palacios in his early days. Early fan favourite because of his tackling but always played it simple (like Palacios) to start off with, mainly because he was new. I saw it in the Arsenal game that because he seemed more comfortable within the team that he tried the more risky passes and none come off, I have a feeling he'll do the same when he's back in the team after a period of time and fans will start to turn on him, Capoue is back up for Sandro and offers cover at centre half too and he's great cover in that.

Capoue (although a better player), reminds me very much of Palacios in his early days. Early fan favourite because of his tackling but always played it simple (like Palacios) to start off with, mainly because he was new. I saw it in the Arsenal game that because he seemed more comfortable within the team that he tried the more risky passes and none come off, I have a feeling he'll do the same when he's back in the team after a period of time and fans will start to turn on him, Capoue is back up for Sandro and offers cover at centre half too and he's great cover in that.

Prove it.

I think that's harsh. Capoue has MUCH better vision and positional awareness than Palacious. Ok, so against Arsenal some longer-range passes didn't come off, but his ability to ghost into space to offer a simple passing option plus his ability to play short and quick pass-and-move triangles surely make slightly more important to the others in his position in terms of keeping our possession game ticking over?

I think that's harsh. Capoue has MUCH better vision and positional awareness than Palacious. Ok, so against Arsenal some longer-range passes didn't come off, but his ability to ghost into space to offer a simple passing option plus his ability to play short and quick pass-and-move triangles surely make slightly more important to the others in his position in terms of keeping our possession game ticking over?

I was talking more in a passing sense. He is a great option to have and I think he is an upgrade on Parker and Livermore. I think he's great to call upon late in games if we want to defend a lead or in the cup games where Sandro is more crucial for the league etc. overall I am pleased with the signing and can not wait for him to come back into the squad.

I wonder if we're missing Capoue more than we realise?

This youtube highlights from the Tblisi game makes his contribution in terms of recycling possession seem possibly what is missing in terms of clever positioning to defend the back-four and also always being there as a optionfor forward players to pass to; oh and he seems to have a better passing awareness generally as well....

[video=youtube;s_-oya3I4xM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_-oya3I4xM[/video]

good video there.

for a while i was thinking that capoue could be more suited to the way we are currently set up than paulinho but needed more evidence. this video reinforces what I thought - that he is capable of being a quasi deep lying playmaker, capable of quickly setting up an attack.

would like to see see capoue start instead of paulinho for achange.

and damn that fat ass carzola for deliberately sitting on capoue's ankle

Palacios, after his drop in form, was nothing like Capoue is currently. Palacios frequently misplaced those easy passes you say is all Capoue is capable of. Palacios then went into hiding and didn't even want to receive the ball becoming a complete passenger for us when we were attacking. Capoue on the other hand averaged the second most passes of any player in League 1 last season and topped at least once in the same stat for us in one of the games he was able to take part in.

I also disagree about Capoue only being able to play easy passes. The majority of his passes will be low risk, that comes with the position. But I think he's shown himself capable both of moving the ball fairly quickly and of playing some purposeful forward passes. All of this is a question of degrees though, no one is claiming that he's at the level of Modric, people are saying that he's better at this than Sandro, Dembele and Paulinho.

Palacios, after his drop in form, was nothing like Capoue is currently. Palacios frequently misplaced those easy passes you say is all Capoue is capable of. Palacios then went into hiding and didn't even want to receive the ball becoming a complete passenger for us when we were attacking. Capoue on the other hand averaged the second most passes of any player in League 1 last season and topped at least once in the same stat for us in one of the games he was able to take part in.

I also disagree about Capoue only being able to play easy passes. The majority of his passes will be low risk, that comes with the position. But I think he's shown himself capable both of moving the ball fairly quickly and of playing some purposeful forward passes. All of this is a question of degrees though, no one is claiming that he's at the level of Modric, people are saying that he's better at this than Sandro, Dembele and Paulinho.

Good post, completely agree.

And Capoue missed easy passes against Arsenal. We'll see. I have no doubt Spurs fans will turn on Capoue after some performances where his passing was poor, it's bound to happen, has there ever been a player that Spurs players have actually liked for the duration of his stay? Fickle bunch. But to say he's better than Sandro, Dembele and Paulinho is silly, then again it doesnt surprise me with some on here, I suppose they only remember his one good performance against Swansea. I'd say Capoue was more N'Zonzi level.

I suppose we will see as the league goes on, but if he starts ahead of the likes of Sandro, I'd be a little worried for AVBs health.

[video=youtube;xz_ne9BWECk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz_ne9BWECk[/video]

I'll never forget THAT Palacios and like many Spurs fans, I haven't turned against him. Still one of the best few months of any Spurs player in my lifetime, the guy was unplayable and the first name on the team sheet.

Last edited:
And Capoue missed easy passes against Arsenal. We'll see. I have no doubt Spurs fans will turn on Capoue after some performances where his passing was poor, it's bound to happen, has there ever been a player that Spurs players have actually liked for the duration of his stay? Fickle bunch. But to say he's better than Sandro, Dembele and Paulinho is silly, then again it doesnt surprise me with some on here, I suppose they only remember his one good performance against Swansea. I'd say Capoue was more N'Zonzi level.

I suppose we will see as the league goes on, but if he starts ahead of the likes of Sandro, I'd be a little worried for AVBs health.

[video=youtube;xz_ne9BWECk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz_ne9BWECk[/video]

I'll never forget THAT Palacios and like many Spurs fans, I haven't turned against him. Still one of the best few months of any Spurs player in my lifetime, the guy was unplayable and the first name on the team sheet.

Wow - that video reminds me just how much space teams used to give us.

Back