• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Where is it going wrong in attack?

SUIYHA

Scott Parker
We are dominating possession and territory in every game. We complained for years about not having a proper striker with good movement and good technique, now we have spent £26m on getting one of the most prolific ones in La Liga to lead our line. We have the creative talents of Christian Eriksen, one of the best young playmakers in the world, Lewis Holtby, a former Germany U21 captain, and Paulinho, a £17m Brazilian international. On the wings, we have arguably the biggest breakthrough player in the league in Townsend, with Lennon always a threat and Sigurdsson chipping in with a few goals and assists.

And yet - we have only scored 9 goals from our 9 Premier League games this season. Less than Swansea, Southampton and Saudi Sportswashing Machine. The same as Fulham and Villa. We have scored less than half of what Arsenal and City have managed. It is a real worry. Where do you think it's going wrong? And it is going wrong. Because you might sit there and think that when our team "clicks" a bit more, then the goals will start flowing. But I think that if we don't get some of the slices of luck we've had in some games this season, eg - the penalty today, Townsend's cross going straight in last week - and luck will always run out eventually, then we'll start to struggle. Even if we can keep grinding results out, our goal difference looks set to count against us if it gets really tight at the end of the season, which it almost certainly will.

I get that AVB wants to use a 4-3-3 formation as the base. No problem with that, most top teams do these days. What I don't like is how he uses it. Today's team selection was the sort of thing I'd expect to see against Arsenal away, not against Hull at home. The weaker PL sides have been coming to White Hart Lane to put 10 men behind the ball and play for a draw for years now, we should be better prepared for this - our rivals manage to break them down and put them away, this is what we need to be able to do too if we are to compete at the top.

The first thing that I think is causing problems for our attack is the high line. I mean sure, it helps us keep the ball in the opposition half, forces them backwards, keeps the pressure off of our goal and onto theirs. But it also forces their players backwards into tight, rigid defensive formations and denies our players the space they need to operate in their half. Every game this season in which we've scored the first goal, bar Chelsea, I've known we were going to go on and win because we're good at hitting teams on the counter when they commit men forward. But when they sit back, it's hard for us, and by playing the high line we are forcing them back. It's done wonders for our defence - we've already kept more clean sheets in the league this season than we did in the entire 02/03 season, and have equalled our tally from the 06/07 season when we finished in the top 5. But clean sheets don't win you matches, they just stop you from losing them. I'm not saying that we should abandon this completely as it has been effective. But I think playing a bit deeper at times, especially at home to the weaker sides, may be something worth thinking about.

The long and the short of it is, we need to get better at creating chances at the other end, and we need to figure out how to do it with the personnel that we've currently got. All well and good saying we should sign X creative player or Y striker, to make it all click, but we've got 10 games before we can sign anyone new and I can't bear to miss out on CL football/finishing above the scum by one point yet again because of a failure to get one more goal earlier in the season that would have made all the difference.

So as far as I'm concerned, there are three ways we can approach these sorts of games:

1. Paulinho, Sandro and Dembele are all very good players. Capoue looked promising too in the games he did play. But we can only start one of them in these sorts of games in a 4-3-3, as two of Eriksen, Holtby and Sigurdsson need to start in the middle. We're just not creative enough to break down a 10 man defence otherwise, we need skilful players in the middle of the park who can play one touch, pass and move football and spot tiny gaps to play the ball in to. Paulinho is the best out of the first three at this. But I'm pretty sure that Eriksen and Holtby have never been on the pitch at the same time, nor have either of them played with Sigurdsson in the middle with two direct wingers. That's how we should be playing a 4-3-3 against these sorts of teams.

2. Avoid the use of inverted wingers, unless you have a full-back that will get forward on the overlap. The middle is crowded enough as it is without our wide men drifting inside. We need players who can stretch the play, drag defenders out wide and create gaps for Soldado/Paulhino and co in the centre.

3. Go 4-4-2. It's not fashionable these days. But when Soldado is crowded out, it helps having another striker that can pull defenders away with their own movement. I'd love to see Soldado paired up with a motivated Adebayor (may never happen). We went through a period last season of playing 4-4-2 with Defoe and Ade up front towards the end of 2012 and the start of 2013 and it yielded some good results, but we haven't tried it at all this season. I am also starting to think that CF may be Lamela's best position, so this may also give us the best way of getting our £30m on the pitch alongside Townsend/Lennon.

What do you feel is the main reason we're not creating chances the way we should do? Any other suggestions to change things?

Last edited:
Two words: Wing backs.

We have none. Well, correction: we have one that is currently injured and one that has the crossing ability and decision making prowess of a moose on steroids. Both will get better (and I have complete faith that Walker will improve five-fold as he ages, his potential is there for all to see) but at the moment we have no good wing-backs who can make intelligent runs down the line and stretch play enough to allow the likes of Townsend and Lennon/Siggy to drift infield, closer to Soldado in order to afford him more support. In a 4-3-3, wing backs are vital if you want any width at all, and we don't have good ones atm.

If Rose doesn't impress, a first choice left-back should be a priority in the January window. If he does, then we still need a back-up: Jan is good, but a wing-back he is not, and don't get me started on Naughton's attacking abilities down that side.

----------------------------------------------------------(halfway line)
----------Daws-----------------------------Verts--------

---------------------------Sandro------------------------

------------------Paulinho--------------------------------

----------------------------------Holtby/Eriksen----------

Walker------------------------------------------------Rose

-----------------Townsend------------Lennon------------

------------------------Soldado--------------------------

With Walker and Rose bursting down the overlap like that when in possession, and more bodies in the box, we stand to score a lot more if the wing-backs stop crossing it high every time and look for cut-backs/passes back into the penalty spot/edge of the area more. Crucially, though, we need wing-backs to make this work. At the moment, we have none. Well, we have half a wing-back, if you count Walker, but that still ain't much.

The problems with today's game:

1. Sandro - he may be a crowd and forum untouchable but he cannot pass and he cannot run with the ball.

2. Lennon - he never has and will never have a decent game on the left. We know it; just AVB got it into his head today

3. Full-backs. The problem is not playing inverted wings; it's lack of overlapping full-backs.

Agree that 4-4-2 at home against the likes of Hull is something we should try.

Agree with Dubai, I think the biggest problem right now is a lack of width by having full-backs who are average going forwards. Rose is probably our best, and even he isn't top-class. I like him though.

Walker...well, I'm just not sure he remembers how to play football every time he takes the field. Sometimes, he looks great, other times...hmm.

Also, as much as I like to inform everybody how over-rated I thought Modric was, we miss that bit of WD-40 in the midfield. HOWEVER, I can remember us struggling to break teams down with him in the side.

So, I would also add that we don't have enough guile coming from wide areas. I hope that Lamela gets a chance at some point, as he might be this player. I don't really know. But we need someone like Mata/Cazorla/Silva in the final 3rd, someone who drifts in, gets on the ball a lot and provides assists and goals a-plenty. For those players to operate effectively though, they need those full-backs to be doing their job and providing proper width.

The problems with today's game:

1. Sandro - he may be a crowd and forum untouchable but he cannot pass and he cannot run with the ball.

2. Lennon - he never has and will never have a decent game on the left. We know it; just AVB got it into his head today

3. Full-backs. The problem is not playing inverted wings; it's lack of overlapping full-backs.

Agree that 4-4-2 at home against the likes of Hull is something we should try.

1 is a load of ****. Sure he had a bad game today, however he's had far more good games.

I can get behind 2, it has been tried a number of times and has never really worked.

I can get behind 3 as well, Naughton is not adequate backup for RB or LB if we're using inside forwards. We need a LB backup for Rose too.

4-4-2 is feasible, but we'd need Adebayor to be up and running before it would be a reasonable option. I can't see Defoe and Soldado hitting it off.

I think Ade would be a good option from the bench, so hopefully we can get him involved in some cup games and get his fitness up.

I think we just move the ball far too slow and a lot of our players aren't comfortable/good enough on the ball not to have a "direct" option up front. AVB is imposing a European style of play on a group of players who fit the more up and at 'em British approach. I do feel AVB's goals can be achieved but surely Eriksen and Lamela have to start playing more.

1 is a load of ****. Sure he had a bad game today, however he's had far more good games.

I can get behind 2, it has been tried a number of times and has never really worked.

I can get behind 3 as well, Naughton is not adequate backup for RB or LB if we're using inside forwards. We need a LB backup for Rose too.

4-4-2 is feasible, but we'd need Adebayor to be up and running before it would be a reasonable option. I can't see Defoe and Soldado hitting it off.

As I said - an untouchable. Never even dare mention the name of Sandro in vain!!!

Sandro is a great player but he should be playing the away games and the games against the like of Chelscum. Ironically had he been on the pitch in the games with the two scum I am sure we would have got at least 3 extra points. But home games against the likes of Hull are the ones where he needs to sit out because his constructive contribution is extremely poor and Dembele is far better at recycling possession and keep the game flowing.

As I said - an untouchable. Never even dare mention the name of Sandro in vain!!!

Sandro is a great player but he should be playing the away games and the games against the like of Chelscum. Ironically had he been on the pitch in the games with the two scum I am sure we would have got at least 3 extra points. But home games against the likes of Hull are the ones where he needs to sit out because his constructive contribution is extremely poor and Dembele is far better at recycling possession and keep the game flowing.

It's not that he's untouchable, it's that his good performances vastly outnumber his bad ones. He was our most consistent player last season and we were most unfortunate that injury hindered his pre-season this.

He was **** today and deserved to be substituted. Dembele is better at running with the ball, they are about the same at recycling it and Sandro is better at winning it imo.

We don't have enough players who can pass a ball creatively and intelligently.
You end up with Townsend and Lennon trying to run the ball past 10 mean defending deep.
We had 3 'decent' passers starting today Holtby, Vertonghen and Chiriches.

We haven't been the same since we sold Modric and VDV. Bale papered over the cracks. Teams defend even deeper against us now and know they can get away with it.

Didn't see Paulinho get forward too much today.

Agree about the high line.

Personally I think we need to play Eriksen and stick with him as long term I think he's going to be a big difference in games, doesn't help when he keeps getting subbed or not even picked from the start.

I think our 4-5-1 against teams that themselves park the bus and basically play with a 10-man defense is inefficient and unproductive, the space we need is crowded out, and with only one striker up front we're not able to stir things up up there either. In a situation where an opposition play with that many people behind the ball, it should be mandatory to play passes quickly and move equally quick, but doing so is unproductive unless there is movement up front - you'll get the ball out to the wingers at best or to a midfielder or a lone striker just outside the 16-yard box, which is of no use, as the next move is one big X - whereas with two strikers, get the ball to one of them, the obvious option for that guy would be to find his partner, who would surely be followed by at least one defender, creating more space to drift into for either wingers or offensive midfielders or the striker with the ball (again, with their movement creating space for wing-backs or other midfielders).

In our current system, once the ball reaches the 16-yard box, there's no one in offensive support for Soldado, he's all alone trying to figure out what to do (if he at all is lucky enough to get the ball). Usually he'll try to flick it to the wings or back to say Paulinho or Holtby, who'll try a strike from distance (which haven't been very productive this season), but he has no one to quickly one-two with, as Eriksen/Holtby were in the part of the attack just before he received the ball, and wouldn't have had time (most likely) to be offensively playable to him.

Positioning on the field is obviously an important part of a formation. I don't see what the third guy in our central midfield is of any use to us offensively. Sure enough, he makes us more stable defensively, but in a home game against a weaker side, we don't need that extra stability, we need to go forward and score goals.

So, in short;

1) 4-4-2 will give us far more options when we reach the 16-yard box in terms of passing opportunities and movement
2) The extra man we currently have in our midfield (be it Sandro or Paulinho) does far too little for us offensively in a game like today's, and makes us way more predictable than if we had an extra striker

Personally I think we need to play Eriksen and stick with him as long term I think he's going to be a big difference in games, doesn't help when he keeps getting subbed or not even picked from the start.

This. Eriksen behind Soldado.
Wenger didnt **** about with Ozil, easing him in or picking him one week and not the next. Stuck him in the team and let him get on with it.
Eriksen and Lamela in NOW. It'll bring the sort of creative spark Townsend and Holtby will not supply with sufficient consistency.

This. Eriksen behind Soldado.
Wenger didnt **** about with Ozil, easing him in or picking him one week and not the next. Stuck him in the team and let him get on with it.
Eriksen and Lamela in NOW. It'll bring the sort of creative spark Townsend and Holtby will not supply with sufficient consistency.

There is a bit of difference between the experience of Ozil playing with Germany and Real Madrid and two greenhorns barely 21...

Back