• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What’s everyone reading?

Have picked it up a couple of times in bookshops but never committed. I like his stuff, though.

A good read?
It's good, but does cover the same examples used in his recent 'Things Fell Apart' podcast, so I knew some it anyway. I borrowed it from the library so it didn't cost me anything.

The interesting thing was that most of the people weighing in to shame others on twitter for a really minor comment/picture etc expected the shamed victim to be fine after a couple of weeks. They weren't, with large numbers now dead because of it.

It might sound a little old school, but I get most of my audio books from the library. Well, a site (borrow box) which I log in to with my library card. And it's free! Depends where you live of course...

Not a bad shout on the library front, I'm just not sure it's my medium as I prefer physically holding something but cheers.

I have found part one and two of Batman year zero at a charity shop as I figure graphic novels / comics aren't a bad starting point alongside a more cerebral non fiction book

Not a bad shout on the library front, I'm just not sure it's my medium as I prefer physically holding something but cheers.

I have found part one and two of Batman year zero at a charity shop as I figure graphic novels / comics aren't a bad starting point alongside a more cerebral non fiction book
Aidiobooks are brilliant for decorating or other mundane tasks (like driving). I listened to a big chunk of The girl with the dragon tattoo driving to Stoke and back. Made sitting in traffic round Birmingham more bearable.

Not so great for working mind you!

This may sound like a dumb question with potentially obvious answers ie "find a way that works for you" but any tips for getting in to reading regularly? I claim to enjoy it and find non fiction fascinating and diving in to novels / short stories a welcome escape from the real world but then suddenly a year goes by without me picking up a book.

It may just be mental laziness but when I'm at home if I have time it's so natural to watch whatever on TV or stick on the PlayStation and when I'm out and about I can't focus with pretty much any noise / stuff going on so I can't sink in to what I'm reading. Also it works for some people but I 'm not sure about reading before bed as if I'm actually engaged in what I'm getting in to then my head will be spinning for hours and I won't be able to sleep.
A kindle helps a lot.

I have always read before bed but found having a light on just made me stay up later. Kindles have a soft light and I find myself starting to drift after a few chapters.

D8B1507D-6C87-4E84-9319-7DBA840890B3.jpeg

Just finished this and it’s so good.

It’s a pretty sad story and has really evoked some melancholy. Think I’ll be reflecting on it for a while.

It loosely ties in with Sea of Tranquility - some shared characters, a couple of very brief nods to the SoT story. Makes me want to go back and read SoT again tbh, and I almost never re-read a book.

What a fantastic writer.

View attachment 15895

Just finished this and it’s so good.

It’s a pretty sad story and has really evoked some melancholy. Think I’ll be reflecting on it for a while.

It loosely ties in with Sea of Tranquility - some shared characters, a couple of very brief nods to the SoT story. Makes me want to go back and read SoT again tbh, and I almost never re-read a book.

What a fantastic writer.

I'm 80% through, but my kindle has frozen.
Really good so far.

This is absolutely a hoot. Written by a Miami Herald writer who clearly knows his way around Miami's skanky opportunity capitalists, grotty neighbourhoods and the dank, dangerous Everglades wetlands. Brilliant crime drama/comedy:

41FTgnV6dbL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Just been through a couple of David Thorne’s (27b/6) books, a good read, and laugh out loud funny in places, albeit for dark/sick humour, if you like his blog they are worth a look.

Laughed my ass off reading this. Set in the Miami area after a heavy hurricane wreaks havoc. Great characters, insanely funny plot lines. Plowed through 400+ pages in three days. Second book of this author that I've absolutely and delightedly devoured this month. Plan to buy the whole set for the cottage library.

0525431780.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SX500_.jpg

Laughed my ass off reading this. Set in the Miami area after a heavy hurricane wreaks havoc. Great characters, insanely funny plot lines. Plowed through 400+ pages in three days. Second book of this author that I've absolutely and delightedly devoured this month. Plan to buy the whole set for the cottage library.

Carl Hiassen’s stuff is great. Read a lot of it in the noughties.

I'm going through this Roman series by Simon Scarrow following Cato and Maceo:upload_2023-9-9_15-4-26.png
I like historical fiction, this is a good series. I read his Fire & Blood series about Nelson and Napoleon

My name is Hotshot-Tottenham and I am addicted to buying second hand books.

Got these all in the last two or three weeks. I now have 25 books to read on my shelf.

At my current rate that’s about 7 months’ worth. There’s always something I want in my local bookshops… I think I need an intervention :D

15B9CA08-9A0C-4F8C-BA16-F3C90FE78D05.jpeg F42545F4-D9D2-435F-B68C-E9CD53450C47.jpeg

Will give these a go they look superb

My name is Hotshot-Tottenham and I am addicted to buying second hand books.

Got these all in the last two or three weeks. I now have 25 books to read on my shelf.

At my current rate that’s about 7 months’ worth. There’s always something I want in my local bookshops… I think I need an intervention :D

View attachment 16003 View attachment 16004
The Fifth Risk is on my virtual shelf but I haven't read it yet. The interviews with Lewis around the release are fantastic. He is a totally engaging character.

The Fifth Risk is on my virtual shelf but I haven't read it yet. The interviews with Lewis around the release are fantastic. He is a totally engaging character.

It wasn’t on a my radar at all but I saw it my local Oxfam bookshop and thought it looked interesting.

I’m always on the look out for In Plain Sight and They Knew by Sarah Kendzior - she writes on Trump, US politics and culture and from snippets I’ve seen online she looks really good.

Back