• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What’s everyone reading?

If anybody wants the .mobi files (Kindle) for the Skink series sent to them by email, let me know as I have 6 of the books now

It wasn’t on a my radar at all but I saw it my local Oxfam bookshop and thought it looked interesting.

I’m always on the look out for In Plain Sight and They Knew by Sarah Kendzior - she writes on Trump, US politics and culture and from snippets I’ve seen online she looks really good.
I have in Plain Sight but haven't got around to that one either! I used to listen to her podcast during the Trump presidency.

I have in Plain Sight but haven't got around to that one either! I used to listen to her podcast during the Trump presidency.

Ha, small world. I’ve never seen it about, even in Waterstones or Toppings but I’m sure I’ll come across it sooner or later.

I think she’s working on a new book too.

I never caught her podcast but it looks right up my street.

Ha, small world. I’ve never seen it about, even in Waterstones or Toppings but I’m sure I’ll come across it sooner or later.

The podcast I found a little repetitive after a while but she called early most of the criminality that has made it to the courts now.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've been thumping away on Carl Hiaasen's books the past few weeks. With good cause. Now into my third book from him and can't say enough good things about his work. If you've read Elmore Leonard (Get Shorty, Be Cool, Jackie Brown, etc.) you'll love Hiaasen's writing style. Geographically and socialogically spot on and absolutely mischievously fun. Now on my third book this summer and loving it:

f5f47baef8500305136e60e9a9d9dbbbcceab78d.jpg

I'm going on holiday this weekend so sharing books with my wife, it's the first Richard Osman book don't know title and Ian Rankin "In the houses of Lies" a Rebus novel.

Yeah, I've been thumping away on Carl Hiaasen's books the past few weeks. With good cause. Now into my third book from him and can't say enough good things about his work. If you've read Elmore Leonard (Get Shorty, Be Cool, Jackie Brown, etc.) you'll love Hiaasen's writing style. Geographically and socialogically spot on and absolutely mischievously fun. Now on my third book this summer and loving it:

f5f47baef8500305136e60e9a9d9dbbbcceab78d.jpg

Thanks I'll look out for his books, certainly a fan of Elmore Leonard.

I started into 'In Plain Sight' and I am a couple of chapters in. Very good so far, and even though I knew a fair amount of Trump's history, to hear it laid out again is stunning. It is mind-boggling that this obvious Russian asset became president and even more mind-boggling that he might again. As the title alludes to, nothing was hidden.

Last edited:
Johnny Got His Gun.

About the effects of war, but really what it means to be human, asking what consciousness is, what communication means. About love and loss and resistance.

Among the best I’ve read this year.

91D255D0-6317-4394-9C47-CA7DD97C377F.jpeg

Johnny Got His Gun.

About the effects of war, but really what it means to be human, asking what consciousness is, what communication means. About love and loss and resistance.

Among the best I’ve read this year.

View attachment 16058

Really like the look of that. Just ordered a copy. Cheers.

I’m on this…

45FCE670-54FA-4840-BDB0-51767D0B874A.jpeg

Excellent.

Attachments

• 3FB63AF2-45C0-441D-8ACE-E12059F83FFC.jpeg
    3FB63AF2-45C0-441D-8ACE-E12059F83FFC.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
Really like the look of that. Just ordered a copy. Cheers.

I’m on this…

View attachment 16063

Excellent.

Cool, hope you enjoy it. Although enough probably isn’t the right word.

The author’s story is interesting too - he was exiled during the McCarthy witch hunt for partaking in “unAmerican” activities and wrote under a pseudonym after that.

He also inspired the guy who wrote Born On The Fourth of July.

A tangent to this thread... this is a very good paragraph by Lindy West in The Witches Are Coming:

My husband plays the trumpet, which is a sort of loud pretzel originally invented to blow down the walls of fudging Jericho and, later, to let Civil War soldiers know it was time to kill each other in a river while you chilled eating pigeon in your officer’s tent twenty miles away, yet somehow, in modern times, it has become socially acceptable to toot the bad cone inside your house before 10:00 a.m. because it’s “your job” and your wife should “get up.” What a world! If one was feeling uncharitable, one might describe the trumpet as a machine where you put in compressed air and divorce comes out, but despite this–despite operating a piece of biblical demolition equipment inside the home every bright, cold morning of his wife’s one and only life–the trumpet is not the most annoying thing about my husband.

9E21D8A4-3209-4F2A-BA2C-01D77205F887.jpeg

Nomadland.

A real American horror story where pension-age people have been forced out of their homes so live in vans and cars.

And they still work temp jobs, for Amazon, as park ground attendants and so on to supplement a paltry monthly payment from the government.

Eye opening and terrifying. Not being able to afford to retire, no healthcare cover, no permanent address.

A peek of what’s to come I think, when the economic and environmental crisis deepens.

View attachment 16111

Nomadland.

A real American horror story where pension-age people have been forced out of their homes so live in vans and cars.

And they still work temp jobs, for Amazon, as park ground attendants and so on to supplement a paltry monthly payment from the government.

Eye opening and terrifying. Not being able to afford to retire, no healthcare cover, no permanent address.

A peek of what’s to come I think, when the economic and environmental crisis deepens.

Read this recently, so completely different to the movie which I think I preferred but it was a good read.

I was going to say, the film if anything romanticized the lifestyle as a choice for the freedom rather than a sign of a collapsed economy / a society not taking care of older folk.

It definitely did. I couldn't even work out who the Frances McDormand character was in the book. Couldn't really make a version of the book away from a documentary, the scriptwriter did a really good job on the movie.

This sounds decent - Holly - Stephen King

Holly Gibney, one of Stephen King’s most compelling and ingeniously resourceful characters, returns in this thrilling novel to solve the gruesome truth behind multiple disappearances in a midwestern town.

“Sometimes the universe throws you a rope.” —BILL HODGES

Stephen King’s Holly marks the triumphant return of beloved King character Holly Gibney. Readers have witnessed Holly’s gradual transformation from a shy (but also brave and ethical) recluse in Mr. Mercedes to Bill Hodges’s partner in Finders Keepers to a full-fledged, smart, and occasionally tough private detective in The Outsider. In King’s new novel, Holly is on her own, and up against a pair of unimaginably depraved and brilliantly disguised adversaries.

When Penny Dahl calls the Finders Keepers detective agency hoping for help locating her missing daughter, Holly is reluctant to accept the case. Her partner, Pete, has Covid. Her (very complicated) mother has just died. And Holly is meant to be on leave. But something in Penny Dahl’s desperate voice makes it impossible for Holly to turn her down.

Mere blocks from where Bonnie Dahl disappeared live Professors Rodney and Emily Harris. They are the picture of bourgeois respectability: married octogenarians, devoted to each other, and semi-retired lifelong academics. But they are harboring an unholy secret in the basement of their well-kept, book-lined home, one that may be related to Bonnie’s disappearance. And it will prove nearly impossible to discover what they are up to: they are savvy, they are patient, and they are ruthless.

Holly must summon all her formidable talents to outthink and outmaneuver the shockingly twisted professors in this chilling new masterwork from Stephen King.

“I could never let Holly Gibney go. She was supposed to be a walk-on character in Mr. Mercedes and she just kind of stole the book and stole my heart. Holly is all her.�� —STEPHEN KING

Back