• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What would you consider progress this Season?

Beat Shrewsbury, Wigan, Hull and Palace to win the cup?

Nah, not for me.

Regardless of points or prizes, we'll know if we are progressing and still on an UPWARD CURVE.

To be honest I only capitalised that last bit because THFCSteff does it. It feels kind of INSISTENT and RELENTLESS. I like it. I might start TALKING like this in PUBLIC, PUBLIC.

Win. A. Cup.

Any cup. FA Cup would be the best one, since it's always been inextricably tied to our identity as a club right from the time we became the first non-league side to win it. But, failing that, even the League Cup would suffice (or whatever they're calling it nowadays).

The Lane stands, bloody but unbowed, in her final season. The long years have seen happiness and despair, glory and humiliation, pain and inestimable joy ripple through her old stands. The stanchions have always, always reverberated to the sounds of the club she nurtured, to the masses of humanity that have thronged her gates, week after week, season after season. She has seen boys and girls walk up through the stairwells and gaze with twinkle-eyed wonderment for the first time upon the green expanse they could not help but fall in love with. She has seen them grow, she has seen them become men and women, and she has watched them in turn carry on with the unbreakable cycle of love, pain, joy and sadness that make up the threads of this journey we're all on...one weekend at a time.

On the field she so jealously guarded, Tottenham Hotspur Football Club epitomized the wild abandon that forms fortune's tempestuous nature. They taught the nation how to play, they epitomised style, grace and glory, they hit the highest of highs....and they also fell to the lowest of lows. They struggled through the barbs of fate, they fell victim to their idealized notions of propriety, they bumbled, and stumbled, bled, and fell. They were laughed at, as much as they were praised in the uproarious days of their greatest times. On that field, Bill Nicholson built a legendary team. On that field, Thierry Henry won the league for the lot across the way. Both are a part of the one hundred and thirty-four long, winding years that make up our history, and both are windows into the nature of the club that rose under the lights perched on the roof of that grand old ground.

And she watched it all. She could not speak, but in the days of despair, the stands stood tall, and unbowed. And in the days of glory...when the thunderous echoes of thousands of voices in unison rose to fill the air, rose almost to the roof of heaven...she sang with them. Her very foundations vibrated with glee, her floodlights shone joyfully upon the scenes, her fittings gleamed, burnished, in the light of those great days.

The Lane has seen the journey of life that Tottenham Hotspur embarked upon. It has seen the eras of history, the great tides of men and machines, the waves of civilization that marked the century of history that took place upon the sceptered isle off the coast of Europe. It has seen the passage of young men and women, filled with ideals and ambitions, into its changing rooms, out onto its fields and then into the pages of football history. And it has seen the passage of countless ordinary men and women from childhood into adulthood, repeated again ,and again, and again, throughout those long years.

The Lane has seen an awful lot. In her final year, what I'd like more than anything else is to see her smile on one more piece of silverware, brought out onto the pitch...one last gesture of gratitude. And one last tribute to the stadium which sheltered the tempestuous life of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club.
I have a few beers on board but I enjoyed that. Flowery bits and all ;)

Let's win one for the old girl.

Beat Shrewsbury, Wigan, Hull and Palace to win the cup?

Nah, not for me.

Regardless of points or prizes, we'll know if we are progressing and still on an UPWARD CURVE.

To be honest I only capitalised that last bit because THFCSteff does it. It feels kind of INSISTENT and RELENTLESS. I like it. I might start TALKING like this in PUBLIC, PUBLIC.
Very good. Made me laugh that bit.

Agree with this, with the Mancs and Chelsea splashing the cash again I expect it to be harder this year to get a top 4 spot.

Winning a Cup would mean progression as it'd mean we had to beat the "big guns" to do so especially if that cup is the CL :)

Winning a cup doesn't mean anything other than having a bit of luck when it matters. Another top 4 finish means we've performed at a consistently high level all season.

Win. A. Cup.

Any cup. FA Cup would be the best one, since it's always been inextricably tied to our identity as a club right from the time we became the first non-league side to win it. But, failing that, even the League Cup would suffice (or whatever they're calling it nowadays).

The Lane stands, bloody but unbowed, in her final season. The long years have seen happiness and despair, glory and humiliation, pain and inestimable joy ripple through her old stands. The stanchions have always, always reverberated to the sounds of the club she nurtured, to the masses of humanity that have thronged her gates, week after week, season after season. She has seen boys and girls walk up through the stairwells and gaze with twinkle-eyed wonderment for the first time upon the green expanse they could not help but fall in love with. She has seen them grow, she has seen them become men and women, and she has watched them in turn carry on with the unbreakable cycle of love, pain, joy and sadness that make up the threads of this journey we're all on...one weekend at a time.

On the field she so jealously guarded, Tottenham Hotspur Football Club epitomized the wild abandon that forms fortune's tempestuous nature. They taught the nation how to play, they epitomised style, grace and glory, they hit the highest of highs....and they also fell to the lowest of lows. They struggled through the barbs of fate, they fell victim to their idealized notions of propriety, they bumbled, and stumbled, bled, and fell. They were laughed at, as much as they were praised in the uproarious days of their greatest times. On that field, Bill Nicholson built a legendary team. On that field, Thierry Henry won the league for the lot across the way. Both are a part of the one hundred and thirty-four long, winding years that make up our history, and both are windows into the nature of the club that rose under the lights perched on the roof of that grand old ground.

And she watched it all. She could not speak, but in the days of despair, the stands stood tall, and unbowed. And in the days of glory...when the thunderous echoes of thousands of voices in unison rose to fill the air, rose almost to the roof of heaven...she sang with them. Her very foundations vibrated with glee, her floodlights shone joyfully upon the scenes, her fittings gleamed, burnished, in the light of those great days.

The Lane has seen the journey of life that Tottenham Hotspur embarked upon. It has seen the eras of history, the great tides of men and machines, the waves of civilization that marked the century of history that took place upon the sceptered isle off the coast of Europe. It has seen the passage of young men and women, filled with ideals and ambitions, into its changing rooms, out onto its fields and then into the pages of football history. And it has seen the passage of countless ordinary men and women from childhood into adulthood, repeated again ,and again, and again, throughout those long years.

The Lane has seen an awful lot. In her final year, what I'd like more than anything else is to see her smile on one more piece of silverware, brought out onto the pitch...one last gesture of gratitude. And one last tribute to the stadium which sheltered the tempestuous life of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club.

I know we disagree on your Levy posts and your "war and peace " rambles about where he keeps going wrong :D. However i salute you sir on this post and it brought a little tear to my eye ( i must be going soft in my old age).

To see us more systematic, winning as a habit, with some easy wins along the way. If we could rectify the 'unlucky' draws - like at Everton - where we edge the game but come away with a point, that would be a big step. I think we can this season.

A lot depends on whether Janssen and Kane dovetail or rotate. It's not ideal being unsure. The suggestion from the two games is they can play together, but neither scored. So the jury is out. The other key thing is how well the central midfielders can add to attacks. Wanyama scoring the winner is hopefully an omen.

Great that our defence is stable and looks good.

Last edited:
I know we disagree on your Levy posts and your "war and peace " rambles about where he keeps going wrong :D. However i salute you sir on this post and it brought a little tear to my eye ( i must be going soft in my old age).

Well, I've accepted the fact that we won't agree on some things, but I've generally always agreed with you when you defend the cups as things still worth winning. This post was just that sentiment expressed while halfway down a bottle - @Rorschach subsequently testified as to its effectiveness while commendably soaked himself :) .

In the end, football exists to provide great stories and great moments - the Lane deserves both in her final year, and bringing them home would in my eyes be exactly the sort of progress we need.

Win. A. Cup.

The title it is then @DubaiSpur - to do justice to your poetry.

1695865.main_image.jpg

KingKeaneCup_468x506.jpg

article-1088200-02481803000004B0-276_306x420.jpg
Good old fashioned glory @Gutter Boy, can't beat it- some how finishing 4th doesn't quite feel the same.

A trophy... Any trophy

Ideally a top 4 finish too

Sticking with something ive said for a while actually finishing second is the minimum measure of progress as its a place higher than last season but there are so many variables in football that make that hard

I don't see us going well in the CL purely due to using Wembley. The pitch is so poor and along with the new 'London Stadium:D' is among the worst in the country for fast flowing football.

What do people think is Levy and Poch's target for the season?
Without a doubt, securing CL for the following season.
There may be other "nice to have" targets such as winning an FA Cup, but CL qualification is the absolute minimum.
I think however Poch will have his sights on the title for this season.

Back