• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What would you consider progress this Season?

Yermiyahu

Scott Parker
Last year our beloved team overachieved, according to my expectations and that of most pundits.
Given that we finished a very creditable third last season, but didn't do so well in the cups what would you consider reasonable progress this year? Mods, if this conflicts with any other ,please merge.

To finish third again would be progress (assuming at least a couple of the big spenders get it right). Would mean we have managed two successive CL qualifications. Just hope we don't waste too much energy on the cups.

Given the financial importance of CL football simply qualifying again would be progression, but I would love to win a trophy.

1695865.main_image.jpg

KingKeaneCup_468x506.jpg

article-1088200-02481803000004B0-276_306x420.jpg

To finish third again would be progress (assuming at least a couple of the big spenders get it right). Would mean we have managed two successive CL qualifications. Just hope we don't waste too much energy on the cups.

I agree. Finishing in the top four would be a real achievement and should be our target for the season.

Last year the top four massively underachieved. Assuming that will not happen again, holding onto a top four position would be progress.

I would love to see us pick up a cup but it is a heart over head choice and would mean little in terms of progression.

A top 4 finish or a trophy. I don't think finishing 3rd or above is a must as we have to expect the teams around us to improve significantly given the money they have spent. Back to back top 4 campaigns would be another first for the club in the PL era.

The main thing for me is to not falter in the last few games again, whether if we are fighting for the title or the top 4 or if we are in the latter stages of a cup competition. Granted we were demoralised from losing the title last season, but imploding the way we did in the last 4 games whilst completely losing our discipline in the process is something Poch must deal with and eradicate.

Personally, I believe a big goal has to be finishing above Arsenal. Now just hear me out before you groan and accuse me of being a small minded Spurs fan, I'm not saying it defines the season as a success or not, but we haven't done it for 22 seasons. Forget what it means to the fans, it's a giant mental hurdle that a club simply has to get over at some point, we may eventually find ourselves in a title race or in a scrap for 3rd/4th with Arsenal and I would prefer having recent experience of finishing above them. It's almost like we have got the yips when it comes to finishing above them. Similar to our inability to win at Stamford Bridge.

Given the financial importance of CL football simply qualifying again would be progression, but I would love to win a trophy.

This.

Progress would be consolidation in the League given the crap year the 'Big 5' had last year. I would like one cup final (ideally a triumph) as icing.

progression would be to maintain our place in the top four - showing last season was not a one off, especially with several of the best managers in the game for us to compete against and to put to bed the idea that we only finished 3rd because 3 of the usual were under performing

would love a trophy though, especially with it being the last season at WHL - the title would be better

Any three of the following:
1. More than 70 pts
2. Away wins at Cheatski AND the Arse
3. Finish higher than 5th
4. Champions League k/o stage
5. Domestic cup win, either League or FA
6. Strong finish in the PL (for once)

Finishing the season with a better team than we currently have now.

Trophies can go either way. We can't control who much our rivals improve.

Finishing the season with a better team than we currently have now.
Trophies can go either way. We can't control who much our rivals improve.

Something like this

- Improvement in Lamela, Eriksen, Alli important (as they all have a way to go until their ceiling)
- 2-3 additional players becoming core to team (right now I think we have a first 11 +Trippier/Davies/Wimmer), if Wanyama/Janssen and 1 of our younger players makes it into the core/critical part of team, it's a good step.

5th/6th is par, 4th would be a great success
Cup and good run in CL also good target.

- Top 4 finish - ideally whilst seriously challenging the title at some point in the season.. Finishing in the top 4 again gives continuity and CL football for two seasons ( albeit maybe qualifying round) and will help keep our top players for longer and help us attract players to further strengthen if necessary.
- A semi-final in one of the cups (although obviously winning a cup would be wonderful). Especially if some of our young players can play a part in this;
- Watching with a feeling of confidence when we are 1-0 or 2-0 up in a game that we can hold on to the lead and close out the game without conceding a silly goal(s) to draw or lose (this might be a bigger mindshift than many of us are ready for!);
- More goals from the likes of Lamela, Eriksen and Son

Any of the above (not necessarily all) would show progress for me.

I agree. Finishing in the top four would be a real achievement and should be our target for the season.

Last year the top four massively underachieved. Assuming that will not happen again, holding onto a top four position would be progress.

I would love to see us pick up a cup but it is a heart over head choice and would mean little in terms of progression.

Agree with this, with the Mancs and Chelsea splashing the cash again I expect it to be harder this year to get a top 4 spot.

Winning a Cup would mean progression as it'd mean we had to beat the "big guns" to do so especially if that cup is the CL :)

Very simple - a top 4 finish

Reason for this is that the only way to truly become one of the big teams in England and Europe is to get the CL cash year in and year out. Once you are established, trophies follow. There's 5 or 6 decent teams in England this year, so top 4 means we've outdone at least one of Man U, Man C, Cheatski or Arse....that would be a success in itself

Win. A. Cup.

Any cup. FA Cup would be the best one, since it's always been inextricably tied to our identity as a club right from the time we became the first non-league side to win it. But, failing that, even the League Cup would suffice (or whatever they're calling it nowadays).

The Lane stands, bloody but unbowed, in her final season. The long years have seen happiness and despair, glory and humiliation, pain and inestimable joy ripple through her old stands. The stanchions have always, always reverberated to the sounds of the club she nurtured, to the masses of humanity that have thronged her gates, week after week, season after season. She has seen boys and girls walk up through the stairwells and gaze with twinkle-eyed wonderment for the first time upon the green expanse they could not help but fall in love with. She has seen them grow, she has seen them become men and women, and she has watched them in turn carry on with the unbreakable cycle of love, pain, joy and sadness that make up the threads of this journey we're all on...one weekend at a time.

On the field she so jealously guarded, Tottenham Hotspur Football Club epitomized the wild abandon that forms fortune's tempestuous nature. They taught the nation how to play, they epitomised style, grace and glory, they hit the highest of highs....and they also fell to the lowest of lows. They struggled through the barbs of fate, they fell victim to their idealized notions of propriety, they bumbled, and stumbled, bled, and fell. They were laughed at, as much as they were praised in the uproarious days of their greatest times. On that field, Bill Nicholson built a legendary team. On that field, Thierry Henry won the league for the lot across the way. Both are a part of the one hundred and thirty-four long, winding years that make up our history, and both are windows into the nature of the club that rose under the lights perched on the roof of that grand old ground.

And she watched it all. She could not speak, but in the days of despair, the stands stood tall, and unbowed. And in the days of glory...when the thunderous echoes of thousands of voices in unison rose to fill the air, rose almost to the roof of heaven...she sang with them. Her very foundations vibrated with glee, her floodlights shone joyfully upon the scenes, her fittings gleamed, burnished, in the light of those great days.

The Lane has seen the journey of life that Tottenham Hotspur embarked upon. It has seen the eras of history, the great tides of men and machines, the waves of civilization that marked the century of history that took place upon the sceptered isle off the coast of Europe. It has seen the passage of young men and women, filled with ideals and ambitions, into its changing rooms, out onto its fields and then into the pages of football history. And it has seen the passage of countless ordinary men and women from childhood into adulthood, repeated again ,and again, and again, throughout those long years.

The Lane has seen an awful lot. In her final year, what I'd like more than anything else is to see her smile on one more piece of silverware, brought out onto the pitch...one last gesture of gratitude. And one last tribute to the stadium which sheltered the tempestuous life of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club.

Last edited:
Challenging for the title again would be progress -- it'd show that we have gone from a Europa League club challenging for 4th place, to a Champions League club challenging for 1st place.

I honestly don't see why we won't be in the mix again.

Back