• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What are your expectations?

Most people seem content with this, which is realistic....just wonder why its such a catasrophe if we do that this season though?!

I think the reasons people are tinkled is because we were in such a good position. 3rd, 10 points clear of 4th, well above the fray of the battle for CL. While Arsenal had lost 2 of their 4 best players, we had strengthened. And yet we saw this gap disappear and them overtake us. I think some people maybe feel embarrassed cos they seem to have been lording it over the other 2 london clubs for much of the season. And though 4th is still technically in our hands, we can all feel it slipping away, even the most positive of us, with our results and even performances over the past 3 months.

I hope we can hold on for the next 5 games.

In my view it all depends on two factors, where we finish this season and whether work on the new stadium is underway.

Correct

The overriding premise of this thread somehow paints a picture of us alerady having won the FA Cup (tought task), finishing in the Top 4 (even tougher) and assuming we then went on to win the CL-play off and make the group stages (even tougher).

Most people seem content with this, which is realistic....just wonder why its such a catasrophe if we do that this season though?!

It would only be seen as a catastrophe because for large parts of the season we have exceeded expectation and been in such a strong position. If you had asked most Spurs fans at the start of the season whether they would like to be in 4th place with five games to go, they would have bitten your hand off.

At the start of the season I expected Man U to win the league, Chelsea to push them close with City continuing to improve, for the scum to finish fourth and then for us and Liverpool to be pushing them close (based on the fact that Liverpool finished strongly last season and looked like they may kick on this year). Obviously Liverpool have been poor, Saudi Sportswashing Machine have exceeded everyone's expectations and come into the reckoning, Chelsea have been poor compared to what players they have available, City have been better than I expected and the scum have slightly exceeded my expectations of them. We are where I thought/hoped we would be.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be devastated if we finish outside the top four, because up until February it looked like we were dead certs for at least third, but realistically even the most blind Spurs fan would have had to admit that a 3rd place finish would have definitely been punching above our weight, and even 4th would be a terrific achievement. If we fail to get fourth then it will ultimately go down as a poor season, but only because of what could have been.

Correct

The overriding premise of this thread somehow paints a picture of us alerady having won the FA Cup (tought task), finishing in the Top 4 (even tougher) and assuming we then went on to win the CL-play off and make the group stages (even tougher).

No. Not really:
Below is the OP

Of Spurs within 2yrs.

Title? CL? Top 3? Runners up? couple of FA Cups? World class line up?

If a new manager comes in, how long does he get to deliver those expectations to you?
Will anything below 4th be a failure?
If he fails to win a trophy or come higher than 4th in his first two seasons (ie do better than Redknapp) will you want a new manager?

Bear in mind, alot of you claimed that non of this could happen without moving to Stratford, or at the very least, without a new stadium and all the funds it would bring.

It was claimed "we cannot compete". Now, it is claimed 4th is failing.

So, where do you expect us to be 2yrs from today

I think the reasons people are tinkled is because we were in such a good position. 3rd, 10 points clear of 4th, well above the fray of the battle for CL. While Arsenal had lost 2 of their 4 best players, we had strengthened. And yet we saw this gap disappear and them overtake us. I think some people maybe feel embarrassed cos they seem to have been lording it over the other 2 london clubs for much of the season. And though 4th is still technically in our hands, we can all feel it slipping away, even the most positive of us, with our results and even performances over the past 3 months.

I hope we can hold on for the next 5 games.

This I understand. Totally, and have never said that our capitulation is anything less than an embarrassing disaster.

What I dont get is, that some people are claiming that we have failed already, and that EVEN IF we finish 4th and win the FA Cup, it wont redeem Redknapp. The loss of third place is seen as unacceptable, and he should leave...some claim he should leave now.
So, if that is the case, why would people be ok with a 4th place finish, or even just top 6, with another manager after what should be two yrs of progression?

Bear in mind, alot of you claimed that non of this could happen without moving to Stratford, or at the very least, without a new stadium and all the funds it would bring.

BTW, I don't think anyone claimed anything of the sort. Many of us don't deal in absolutes as they're not relevant to the real world.

For my part, I claimed that our ability to spend money on players will be drastically reduced whilst repaying the debt created in building the stadium. It's happened to the scum down the road and there's no logical reason why it won't happen to us. There's a tiny possibility that sponsorship could cover the entire cost of the stadium, as welcome as that would be, it's also massively unlikely. This in turn would make it far more difficult in the medium term to finish 4th or above. We've been fortunate in that Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool went backwards in a big way last year/over the summer so a minimum of 4th is to be expected, they are all able to change that due to their capacity to generate revenue that we don't have.

I also claimed that our risk profile would be massively increased by taking on a major stadium project. This is pretty much irrefutable. The chances of our club being bankrupted are virtually none if we're given a ?ú300M asset for free, the chances (whilst still slight) are far, far higher if we are to invest massively in a stadium.

Please try to read what others post in future, rather than deciding for yourself what they have posted - it may make your time here more enjoyable, it certainly will make everyone else's.

Good for you then. I know what I read, and thats what I am referring to...you take it as aimed at you? Thats not my issue.

i think too many people keeping changing their songs. one minutue they fight tooth and nail for one thing then literally after a couple of bad results they champion somthing else that initially they were dead set agains.

cant keep track and the opinions surely cant be taken seriously

regular top 5 or 6 positions is a decent return over the next few years but also competing for 4th regulalrly

Where on earth did you get that from?

Just because some people have been suggesting that finishing 4th from the position we were in before would be poor, doesn't mean to say that they think we've already got it sewn up!

Finishing 4th would still be a success despite bottling a 10 point lead over Arsenal. It would mean we've finished above Chelsea who finished 2nd last season and won the title two seasons ago, and Liverpool who have spent over ?ú100m this season. I thought we'd finish 5th at worst this season, but I expected Liverpool to be at least a little bit better than they currently are.

Finshing 5th would be a disaster after the lead we had on the three clubs competing with us for a CL place.

It would only be seen as a catastrophe because for large parts of the season we have exceeded expectation and been in such a strong position. If you had asked most Spurs fans at the start of the season whether they would like to be in 4th place with five games to go, they would have bitten your hand off.

At the start of the season I expected Man U to win the league, Chelsea to push them close with City continuing to improve, for the scum to finish fourth and then for us and Liverpool to be pushing them close (based on the fact that Liverpool finished strongly last season and looked like they may kick on this year). Obviously Liverpool have been poor, Saudi Sportswashing Machine have exceeded everyone's expectations and come into the reckoning, Chelsea have been poor compared to what players they have available, City have been better than I expected and the scum have slightly exceeded my expectations of them. We are where I thought/hoped we would be.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be devastated if we finish outside the top four, because up until February it looked like we were dead certs for at least third, but realistically even the most blind Spurs fan would have had to admit that a 3rd place finish would have definitely been punching above our weight, and even 4th would be a terrific achievement. If we fail to get fourth then it will ultimately go down as a poor season, but only because of what could have been.

Again, this I totally understand. But why then would 4th or just top 6 be ok two whole years down the line?

I would have hoped we have moved up a notch to actually be realistic outside title challengers. The feeling of failure with 4th should be a benchmark imo.

I dont get why people would be fine with another manager doing worse than Harry.....just because we went from 3rd to 4th over an awful 2 month spell, as it stands.
There are some fans who want Harry gone right now. So to them, I assume there is nothing he can do that will rescue this season.

If I was demanding Harry leave, or even just think it would be best, surely it makes no sense to be happy with 6th TWO YEARS after Harry has gone??

Again, this I totally understand. But why then would 4th or just top 6 be ok two whole years down the line?
I would have hoped we have moved up a notch to actually be realistic outside title challengers. The feeling of failure with 4th should be a benchmark imo.

I dont get why people would be fine with another manager doing worse than Harry.....just because we went from 3rd to 4th over an awful 2 month spell, as it stands.
There are some fans who want Harry gone right now. So to them, I assume there is nothing he can do that will rescue this season.

If I was demanding Harry leave, or even just think it would be best, surely it makes no sense to be happy with 6th TWO YEARS after Harry has gone??

I think the problem is the fans (and in some of the younger fans case they've never known any different) have got used to this whole "top four team" mentality. It doesn't exist. The last 10 years have been somewhat unusual and a fluke with the same teams dominating those positions year in, year out.

I think the problem is that people have forgotten how much it means to us to compete for a regular CL place with a 36,000 stadium. And the fact that we were 3rd by 13pts halfway through the season has made alot of people think that Harry has failed us and cant improve us further in the future. That I understand to a large extent.

But that still doesnt explain why so many people would be happy for a new manager to come in and spend two whole years finishing 5th or 6th.

I think the problem is that people have forgotten how much it means to us to compete for a regular CL place with a 36,000 stadium. And the fact that we were 3rd by 13pts halfway through the season has made alot of people think that Harry has failed us and cant improve us further in the future. That I understand to a large extent.

But that still doesnt explain why so many people would be happy for a new manager to come in and spend two whole years finishing 5th or 6th.

They just want Harry out.

You cant possibly see not winning the title as unacceptable?

I don't think anyone on here expected us to win the title. There were some people who hoped we'd compete for the title... But I suspect a high percentage of those wouldn't have expected us to win the title if we were 4 points in front with 1 game to go, the FA would dock us 5 points for something or Howard Webb would show up for that last game and red card our entire squad, abandon the game and demand Bale go to Old Trafford along with all the points his winning goals got us during the season.

The other extreme is the top 4 at the start of the season. Emirates Marketing Project were tipped by many to become champions, Man United are obviously going to compete in every title race until at least a little while after SAF retires, Chelsea had a new manager because they went 1 year without winning the title. The last team is the mysterious Arsenal team which we never finish above, no matter what. So at the start of the season, most people thought it was us against Arsenal for 4th and they were the favourites, mostly because they always find a way.

Saudi Sportswashing Machine wasn't on anyone's radar and I don't think anyone was worried about Liverpool as far as 4th goes, but Liverpool were expected to compete with us for the league Europa League place if we were way off Arsenal. Everton were expected to do their usual "you can have half a season headstart" thing, so they were also expected to compete with Europa League places, but only if the point total to finish in 5th place was going to be significantly lower than 4th.

Before the season began, I think most people would have taken this. An "easy" run in for 4th with all rivals having harder run ins. The fact that we're going into this with no form/confidence/etc isn't something we'd have anticipated, most may have expected Chelsea to be in 3rd instead of Arsenal, but anyway, it would have looked really good.

But if we had a 30 point lead over Emirates Marketing Project and Man United with 10 games to go and lost the title on goal difference, that would be an epic failure. 3rd or not, throwing away that type of lead is harder to forgive than going all the way through the season and finishing 6th or 7th.

If we had Messi for 2 seasons and he scored 90 goals in the first season and 2 in the second season, we'd be disappointed with his second season, despite him scoring 92 goals in 2 seasons.

I get the impression that you're looking at the final position of the season from the point of view of someone at the start of the season. Many people aren't doing that, many people are looking at sections of the season, trying to get the full story rather than just catching the beginning and the end. I'm not saying your way of thinking is wrong, it's a level headed positive way of thinking. But our way of thinking is that the first half of the season was a huge success and the second half of the season is likely to be a failure. Parts of a season can be a failure, and specific scenarios can be failures.

If you have a huge lead over 3 teams that aren't better than yours and finish 2 of them, that's a failure. But in that scenario you'd get a free headstart rather than having to earn it.

There is one huge thing that's changed for me since the beginning of the season. Arsenal sold Nasri and Fabregas. Ok, RVP hasn't been injured all season, which is a huge change from his usual inability to play for more than half of a season, but they are even weaker than they were before. Arsene Wenger did spent a lot of money and buy players to give himself a squad, but it's a still a very small squad of worse than average players. Their best signing was either Arteta or the Ox, either way, that does not replace Fabregas with world class talent.

Chelsea had this manager that didn't lose domestic games, he didn't lose home games, he won everything, he was amazing. 35 million to bring him in and he was this great tactician that had worked under Mourinho at Chelsea so knew the players.

He played a high line despite not having the players to play it, he had to play Torres who was a handicap rather than a 50 million pound striker, the entire Chelsea team went downhill fast and at this stage, we should stop thinking of them as the Chelsea that Mourinho built and consider them that Chelsea's ugly cousin. That Chelsea is not the Chelsea I expected to compete for the title earlier this season.

Manchester United have done far better than I predicted as I didn't know they'd bring back Scholes midway through the season or that Jones would be such a good utility player or that Evans would have a far better season than he had last season. I felt their squad had weakened significantly, but I didn't expect to compete with them anyway.

Emirates Marketing Project were stronger than I expected over the first half of the season. I hadn't been watching much Spanish football, so I didn't see Aguero often (at the world cup, his father in law didn't play him much), so I didn't know if he could replace Tevez (I thought Tevez would leave rather at the start of the season). I didn't expect them to blow everyone away, but I didn't really expect to compete with them either.

But when we were way ahead of Arsenal (the Arsenal that had I think their worst start to a season in years, including the 8-2 and horrible results until after they lost to us, Chelsea (the laughable team they had become) and Saudi Sportswashing Machine (who have been doing exceptionally well, especially with one of their CBs missing for over half the season), at that stage, I feel expecting to finish above those three teams was justified, the points gap was insane.

--------------------------------

As for the actual thread topic, my expectations depend on the manager. Each manager has a different style. If Mourinho came, I'd expect him to try to win things and mostly care about the short term, I'd expect the first season to be a bedding in period and the second season to be the best season the club will have for years, if he stayed then I'd continue to expect good seasons and not expect a ton in the future. I'd also expect our home record to be insane.

A good season depends on money spent and what the teams we're competing against. If 2 promoted teams win the lottery and buy the Barca team and the Real Madrid team, it doesn't matter if we have our pick of the rest of the players in the world, it's hard to expect much against that, although with Mourinho it might be possible to finish above Real Madrid if he make a team our of the rest of the players in the world.

But if we had Mourinho and the other teams somehow don't strengthen, but we do, I'd want to compete for the title and to do well in the Champions League (meaning keep progressing until we meet Barca, Real Madrid or another really good team, but I'd want to compete against any team other than Barca and Real Madrid.. I'd hope that we'd compete against those two, but if we lost 5-0 over the two legs, I wouldn't be upset, like I would if we lost 5-0 over two legs against any other team. (Even Bayern, United or City are not 5-0 better than us over two legs.)

My main expectation with Mourinho would be to try to win every game and to seriously compete over every domestic game. (If we somehow got hammered, it'd be forgivable, but until Barca met Real Madrid, he hadn't lost by more than a couple of goals, so I wouldn't see us mauled by Premier League teams and walk away thinking nothing could be done. Unless we had a couple of players sent off.)

There are sacrifices but that's what they're for.

Note: I don't actually expect Mourinho to come to us, we might have had a slight chance if we'd competed for the title and given him 75 mil to spend, but even then it'd have been dreamland if he agreed to sign.

---------------------

By contrast, if we got Wenger... No, I don't want Wenger, I know Wenger doesn't want us, he's just a good example of another style.

I'd expect him to prepare for the future at the expense of the present (the opposite of Mourinho), I'd expect youth to be brought in, but I wouldn't expect him to buy players very often anyway. He might snatch some teenage boys, but that'd be it. I would expect him to build a team greater than the sum of its parts, but I'd expect him to make very frustrating team selections. I'd expect our players to be played out of position, I'd expect a predictable substitutes pattern and I'd expect a lack of a plan B. I'd expect a stubborn manager that plans for the future yet somehow overachieves with his teams. But I wouldn't expect him to build the best side in the world, I wouldn't expect him to buy players that we'd desperately need, I wouldn't expect him to have a large squad or to have a good system for player wages. I would expect him to sell our superstars.

----------------------

The above two are successful managers, if we went for one that relatively untried, I might be disappointed with the manager and lower my expectations because of that. For example, if someone made a random fan the manager, I wouldn't expect epic things, but I would completely disagree with the appointment.

If a new manager comes in, how long does he get to deliver those expectations to you?

What does he have as far as resources go? Which players stay?

But if we have a long haul manager, he might try to get our academy to Barca standard and go through everything like that. You won't see those sort of results for many years and then you need to wait for 11-14 year olds to become old enough to play.

I think as far as our actual team performances go, I would have to look for progress. I wouldn't expect much from anyone in their first season, just don't do anything really bad. But as time goes by and they build a team, they'd always be building towards the moment when they'd have built their team and had got the squad as they want it.

If a manager comes in and looks like a good manager as far as player selection/tactics, man management/motivation/confidence, buying/selling/youth policy, football style, etc... I could give someone like that a lot of time, even if the results weren't as good as the performances deserved. But underperforming for years against weaker sides would still be frustrating as hell.

--------------------------------

To be honest, I'd expect the manager to be there when we moved into the 75% complete stadium, so my expectations would be taken down a notch if we didn't have any plans for a stadium in 3 years.

That said, Arsenal have a higher wage budget but pay players far more than they should. If they were managed properly, our chances of having a better team, squad and finishing above them would all be reduced. Liverpool have the same kind of deal as far as transfer fees and wages go.

Liverpool have proven that expensive players on big wages won't stop teams competing with you for league positions, but Emirates Marketing Project have proven that money matters. There's a sort of grey area though.... We'd almost be the Everton of the top 4 if we could compete for the title every year, I saw Talksport compare the amount of money spent per point in the league a couple of weeks ago and we had the best ratio. Chelsea had the worst, I think Liverpool were second, QPR had one of the worst too. But we're not at the stage where Arsenal have triple our wage and transfer budget.

---------------

But whats not fair in my opinion, is people doubting we would make 4th pre season, as they feared all the teams around us had improved ten fold what we had, but then, 4 months later demanding higher than 4th.

Arsenal had obviously weakened as soon as Clichy, Fabregas, Nasri, their back up LB went to QPR, etc, etc, but your reason that "people were concerned with the other teams" is exactly why I think people are justified to change their expectations.

If we were drawn into a 3 team cup competition against Barca and Real Madrid, I would expect to lose both games and I'd expect to lose pretty badly. (Harry might be able to mastermind a 3-6-1 counter-attacking win against Barca, but I doubt it.) But if in the first match, both teams got into a fight and 18 players were red carded from both teams, with 2 games to go against the 2nd or 3rd teams, I'd expect to compete. Even though Real Madrid's 3rd team is probably the best 3rd team in the world and Barca's third team probably play the best tactical game in the world, I'd want our best team to be able to compete in those 2 games because the teams were not what I thought they'd be. I feel I should be allowed to do that. I also feel that if we were given a 3 point headstart in that tournament, we shouldn't come last against Barca B/C and Real Madrid B/C.

The fact that we're losing 3rd to Arsenal is what makes everything worse though. If I had to nominate the one team I wouldn't like to see beat Spurs 12-0, it'd be Arsenal. 3rd vs 4th against Arsenal matters because Arsenal need CL football for more than just financial fair play. Chelsea and Emirates Marketing Project are rich, but Arsenal rely on that money and we just handed them a bonus.

Arsenal don't spend tons of money on players without selling a few of theirs first, but this was the best opportunity we had to turn the tables for even a year. If we finished 4th but Saudi Sportswashing Machine finished 3rd, it'd be so much better than finishing 4th to Arsenal and that's why this is so much more disappointing than it should be. I still feel Arsenal that can lose against weak teams and don't have that many good individual players, but after Norwich, it's extremely hard to think about finishing 3rd. Hazard choosing us and all that stuff is going to be just a memory, even if we just about scrape CL football, we won't be able to convince many signings that we're competing for the league.

I'm in danger of making the same post twice or more in the same post. :p But if you're winning 3-0 against Barca at halftime, maybe even 4-0, you'd expect to not lose the game, but it'd be Barca, so maybe some people wouldn't see losing as unacceptable. 4-0 up against Arsenal, Saudi Sportswashing Machine or Chelsea at halftime and I'd expect to win. 11 vs 11 against a team that's not a world force, you shouldn't lose from that point... That's why a draw would look like a failure. Even against Madrid or Barca a draw would be a disappointing result given the first half, but against Arsenal that would be really bad.

We were 13 points better than Arsenal over the first half of the season, we are not 18 points worse than Arsenal, so why would we perform like that over the second half.

As I said earlier it's a case of you looking at things totally differently to the rest of us. If you asked us what we'd expect from Harry next year, most would say top 4, not 3rd or higher. (If Chelsea or Liverpool strengthen like crazy, we wouldn't expect top 4.) Our expectations are not anti Harry, they are because of the team's good first half of the season (including Harry).

Completely ignore the first half of the season, imagine the season started on the day of the away match at Arsenal, imagine we were given 10 points and every other team started with 0 and a negative goal difference, imagine over half the fixtures were wiped from the season and wouldn't be played... That's the part that's making this disappointing. The knowledge that Arsenal and Chelsea are laughable just make everything even more disappointing.

You're looking at the whole season with the expectations of pre season. Ramos won a cup and finished midtable, that'd have been an epic season if you had the expectations from when we finished just above the relegation zone.

You aren't going to change your mind about the season as a whole, I'm not going to change my mind about the last 9 or so league games. I can totally see your point about the season as a whole not being an epic failure, but you can also see why throwing away such a huge lead in the last 9 or so league games is a failure.

-------------------------------------

Totally, and have never said that our capitulation is anything less than an embarrassing disaster.

Bleh, someone beat me to it. :p

-----------------

What I dont get is, that some people are claiming that we have failed already, and that EVEN IF we finish 4th and win the FA Cup, it wont redeem Redknapp. The loss of third place is seen as unacceptable, and he should leave...some claim he should leave now.

If a new manager starts a season getting 6 points out of 27 or whatever we've got, people will want him gone.

My view is that he wants to go to England, England want him, we can get 15 mil for him, so although the FA tapped up our manager and derailed our season, Harry and the FA are happy and we're compensated with 15 mil. (If we don't get to the Champions League group stages next year, this would be a huge loss.)

Harry is failing at his usual strengths (making players play better than they would for other guys), so given the awful run he has had lately, people aren't seeing him the way they did when Capello resigned. If we win the rest of our games (league and cup), you'll probably get a truer picture of how people think of Harry, although most think he'll go to England anyway, but this is the lowest it has ever been under Harry. Even finishing 5th didn't feel this low, even though we're in a much better position. People's hearts are ruling their heads and they're venting. Some of the anti Harry guys will still want him gone after this season, but until we can weigh up all the mistakes with signings we all knew and he didn't, all the tactical errors we could all see and everything else, we won't know. The final league position and the cup run will seriously affect how well he's viewed.

No one can really talk about future years at the moment, because we don't have the money that many other clubs have, so we can only aim high if they fudge up and don't strengthen more than we do and that would be down to bad management on their parts.

Good for you then. I know what I read, and thats what I am referring to...

If two or three people say extreme things, it doesn't mean the majority of the people feel that way. I'm sure you've read some very extreme things, but if you look at a kneejerk thread you'd find a lot of people saying extreme things in there too. So if the season finishes on a high, you might find the opposite.

-----------------

I think the problem is the fans (and in some of the younger fans case they've never known any different) have got used to this whole "top four team" mentality. It doesn't exist. The last 10 years have been somewhat unusual and a fluke with the same teams dominating those positions year in, year out.

Well, I know Everton finished above Liverpool the year Liverpool won the Champions League, but for the most part, Man United, Chelsea and Arsenal were consistent in there for a reason. Liverpool should have been able to stay there over Everton and eventually dropped out and are now the Liverpool we hate even more than when they were actually a good team.

It makes total sense for a Champions League team to get stronger than a non Champions League team... Some Champions League teams don't have a Sports Direct Arena sized stadium, but some non Champions League teams do have a stadium of that size... But Champions League money is huge, the fact that fanbases also get a helping hand and a ton of other stuff helps them too means that are no stage should a team with very high transfer funds, very high wage bills, a high number of fans, etc lose out to Everton, the club with no money.

That is a fluke... (I'm being harsh on Everton, but with managers of the same sort of level, that shouldn't happen.) Sure, some teams can find great players and pay them hardly anything, but Liverpool had the resources to stay in the top 4 and blew it, badly.

Football has changed. Each team's brand is helped by the Champions League, the huge money and everything else mean that most normal teams shouldn't be able to overtake a team with those kinds of advantages.

Emirates Marketing Project and Chelsea are actually exceptions, despite Chelsea not having to go on a Emirates Marketing Project style transformation. (They did have a transformation, but they weren't relegation fodder when it happened.) Financial Fair Play is the only thing stopping Emirates Marketing Project from spending 300 million+ in the summer, to make sure they do get their title... Chelsea would also be able to spend big purely due to their owner. But look around us, Saudi Sportswashing Machine have spent money on wages when they were in the Championship, but haven't really got the funds to go nuts on players, despite having a huge stadium. Everton have no money.... For those type of teams to break into the top 4 would take a footballing miracle and to be fair, Saudi Sportswashing Machine are damn close. But Chelsea in a world without Emirates Marketing Project or FFP would have bought a lot of players City ended up buying and next season, they'll probably spend fairly big anyway... They spent 35 million on AVB, so they aren't afraid to spend money.

But it's like Barca vs Portsmouth, it would take a monumental fudge up for Portsmouth to win, but anything is possible in football.

I am hoping we can get a manager who has the tactical ability to overtake the teams above us. Redknapp will never do that.

Back