• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What are your expectations?

We were storming. Never would we have expected to be 3rd, by significant distance, into the new year. The good form to that point moved the goal posts, its not unreasonable, its sensible.

Work to have started on the new stadium.
Play good football.
Hire a manager with a good long term plan.
Remain competitive in the league (ie remain challenging for the top 4) while the stadium undoubtedly limits our ability to compete with other clubs in the short term.
Continue the good work with regards to our academy.

You seem to be missing the point entirely, or at least being difficult.

Look at the scenario offered earlier. My boss gives me a month to produce the job. I do it in two weeks. Should I
a) Aim higher, and try to finish two jobs in the alloted month or
b) Put my feet up, my work is done, doss for a fortnight...

Aiming for fourth wouldnt ordinarily include being 3rd by a huge margin over halfway through the season. If that happens, 4th is becoming a capitulation. 3rd is the expectation. Even if, six months earlier, you thought 4th was a good idea.

not sure it's finishing 4th from the where we were that's the problem. it's 5th or 6th that would be totally unacceptable now.

as average as most of us probably think arsenal are they've finished the season like a runaway train admittedly with last minutes goals galore and slices of luck when they've needed it. 9 wins from 10 so far likely to turn into something like 12 from 15. even with a 10 point lead that's extremely difficult to cope with.

Long term I'd expect the training ground and stadium to be complete and ground work put into building a worthwhile and productive youth academy.

I'm maybe naive but haven't given up the hope that FFP will come into effect. I mean real effect and Levy's work pays off.

I expect good years, likeable personalities at the club (players and coaching staff) and sexy football.

Of Spurs within 2yrs.

Title? CL? Top 3? Runners up? couple of FA Cups? World class line up?

If a new manager comes in, how long does he get to deliver those expectations to you?
Will anything below 4th be a failure?
If he fails to win a trophy or come higher than 4th in his first two seasons (ie do better than Redknapp) will you want a new manager?

Bear in mind, alot of you claimed that non of this could happen without moving to Stratford, or at the very least, without a new stadium and all the funds it would bring.

It was claimed "we cannot compete". Now, it is claimed 4th is failing.

So, where do you expect us to be 2yrs from today

Considering our history and the fact we don't have a sugar daddy, I'd say that ensuring that we remain in the top six for the next few years is the realistic priority. We used to be a yo yo team but we appear to have stabilised. That's what we need, as it can give us a sound platform from which to launch. Usually a top six team is only two or three really good pieces of transfer dealing (in a short time frame) away from being title contenders, but those two or three pieces of transfer dealing can take a few years to occur.

It did make me laugh earlier this season when some Arsenal fans wanted Wenger out. fudging arrogant mugs. The fact that Wenger has kept in the top four for all these seasons is a remarkable achievement. Our first step is to try and find a similar consistency.

It will depend entirely on what other clubs do in the meantime.

There are parameters entirely out of our control, like sugar daddy owners that we can't compete with.

This season I expect a minimum if 4th place. All things being equal, I expect the same for the next two seasons. If Abramovic or Liverpool's owners go and throw ?ú1B at their teams then there's not much we can do, but if our team compares as well to theirs next season as they did this then I expect no less than 4th.

Finish top six this season and it's the first time we've had three top six finishes in a row since 1963-1965.
That is a very poor record for a club with a supporter base like ours. Doesn't surprise me at all that we're known as a 'cup team' by the neutrals etc.

My expectations is for work to be underway with the new stadium (in N17) and consistently competing for a space in the top four. This, while having a few good cup runs...

Have a manager who's entirely comitted to the club ethos and not his own personal little agenda

Have a manager who has moderate to good understansing of various tactical spects and is willing to apply those to games

Have a manager who has a clear outlook in the transfer market, is able to identify targets, and is willing to invest in future prospects as opposed to handing out retirement packages to dying cloggers and similar clowns

Compete in the CL regurarly

You seem to be missing the point entirely, or at least being difficult.

Look at the scenario offered earlier. My boss gives me a month to produce the job. I do it in two weeks. Should I
a) Aim higher, and try to finish two jobs in the alloted month or
b) Put my feet up, my work is done, doss for a fortnight...

Aiming for fourth wouldnt ordinarily include being 3rd by a huge margin over halfway through the season. If that happens, 4th is becoming a capitulation. 3rd is the expectation. Even if, six months earlier, you thought 4th was a good idea.

The scenario is different because you are saying that you completed your task early. We never completed anything. A similar scenario would be that we completed the season and finished 3rd, then next season Harry did nothing.

Spurs task is still ongoing, and we are still trying to acheive our target. No one has put their feet up....there are several excellent discussions as to why we slipped up, in other threads.

This is not the thread for that debate, and Im not trying to be difficult.

Grief, depends on the players and manager we have till then. Lose Arry Modders and Bale, i'd expect dropping to midtable till we stabilise. Keep them, we should be challenging top four, every year.

Park Lane James;77626[B said:
]That is a very poor record for a club with a supporter base like ours[/B]. Doesn't surprise me at all that we're known as a 'cup team' by the neutrals etc.

My expectations is for work to be underway with the new stadium (in N17) and consistently competing for a space in the top four. This, while having a few good cup runs...

Its actually shocking!

In my view it all depends on two factors, where we finish this season and whether work on the new stadium is underway.

If our poor form continues and we finish outside the top four, I can see Modric going, and possibly Bale. This could then lead to others leaving, which would in turn mean that the great strides we've made over the last few years are all undone. The scum could reassert their recent authority over us, Chelsea and City will continue to spend, Liverpool may may some decent signings and may improve, meaning that we could yet again be one of the also rans, likely to finish somewhere between 5th and 7th.

If we end up finishing fourth, we may hold on to Modric, Bale et al, we may spend good money on the areas of the team that are crying out for improvement/strengthening (i.e. IMO up front, wings and full back positions). With the extra champions league money and allure, we may strengthen and continue to grow. This would allow us to start work on the new stadium, which will in turn eventually allow for increased match day revenue, meaning that we get more money, can afford to spend more on better players/wages etc, and can turn into a real force.

In two years we could be a consistent top four side, capable of challenging for cups (although not the league - that's too soon I reckon) or we could be where we were under Jol, good but not quite good enough. In the long run, the most important factor in my view is getting the stadium sorted, because whilst it means we may be uncompetitive in the transfer market for a few years, and hamstrung with repayments etc, further down the line it should put us in a much stronger position.

Back