• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What are your expectations?

totman

Jose Dominguez
Of Spurs within 2yrs.

Title? CL? Top 3? Runners up? couple of FA Cups? World class line up?

If a new manager comes in, how long does he get to deliver those expectations to you?
Will anything below 4th be a failure?
If he fails to win a trophy or come higher than 4th in his first two seasons (ie do better than Redknapp) will you want a new manager?

Bear in mind, alot of you claimed that non of this could happen without moving to Stratford, or at the very least, without a new stadium and all the funds it would bring.

It was claimed "we cannot compete". Now, it is claimed 4th is failing.

So, where do you expect us to be 2yrs from today

I expect to have my expectations altered dependant on how we are doing at the time.

I expect there will be highs, but there will also be lows.

I expect a sarcastic reply to this as well.

I expect work on the new stadium to be underway.

Other than that, I expect nothing. I hope for much, but I expect nothing but commitment.

consistent top 6 finishes with the occasional season in the CL and the odd pot thrown in.

despite the last 2 months we're overachieving at the moment. we really shouldn't be finishing in front of any of arsenal, chelsea or liverpool given the respective resources.

we haven't been this consistent in the league since the 60s. in fact before the last 5 years or so we've hardly ever qualified for europe through our league position

At the moment, with the resources we have, I expect us to compete for a top four finish each year. I'm not so worried about us falling short as long as we put up a decent fight for one of those spots until the end of each season. I would also expect us to really go for it in the cup competitions.

I don't think I'd consider a new manager a failure if they came lower than fourth, as long as we put up a fight and came close to the top four. Come sixth but only a couple of points away from fourth after having a realistic chance of top four all season, I could take that. However if we limped into sixth at the end of the season, having been way off the top four pace the whole time, I'd consider that a failure considering the quality of player we have at the club.

consistent top 6 finishes with the occasional season in the CL and the odd pot thrown in.

we haven't been this consistent in the league since the 60s. in fact before the last 5 years or so we've hardly ever qualified for europe through our league position

Or, pretty much, this :)

Finish top six this season and it's the first time we've had three top six finishes in a row since 1963-1965.

I expect to have my expectations altered dependant on how we are doing at the time.

I expect there will be highs, but there will also be lows.

I expect a sarcastic reply to this as well.

That is the reason for all the hysteria at the moment imo.

But what I dont understand is, that no one realistically expected us to win the PL, or come second. Many doubted we would finish third even when we were flying.

So, these expectations which change week to week by how we are doing serve no good imo. A long term plan of ours is consistent CL football.

The target this season is and always was 4th. Its really annoying that the players and manager talked up the title etc....but how can making your target be failing?

Last edited:
That is the reason for all the hysteria at the moment imo.

But what I dont understand is, that no one realistically expected us to win the PL, or come second. Many doubted we would finish third even when we were flying.

So, these expectations which change week to week by how we are doing serve no good imo. A long term plan of ours is consistent CL football.

The target this season is and always was 4th. Its really annoying that the players and manager talked up the title etc....but how can making your target be failing?

Do your work targets not change dependant upon how well you are currently progressing? If you are well ahead of schedule and finish a week early do you then just sit around on your backside doing nothing because you still have time?

Do your work targets not change dependant upon how well you are currently progressing? If you are well ahead of schedule and finish a week early do you then just sit around on your backside doing nothing because you still have time?

You have a point, but this is football. And you dont go realistically go from targeting 4th, to targeting the title in 4 months.

What do expect from this season? 3rd?

You cant possibly see not winning the title as unacceptable?

You have a point, but this is football. And you dont go realistically go from targeting 4th, to targeting the title in 4 months.

What do expect from this season? 3rd?

You cant possibly see not winning the title as unacceptable?

No, the title was a bit much. But if you were 10 points clear of second place in january would you not alter your expectations from 4th to higher up?

We were 10 points securely in 3rd, whilst 4th was our season objective. Now it looks highly iffy if we will even achieve that.

An expectation is a fluid concept that will always change, there's no point in trying to stop it.

As someone else said, min of top 6 given that Man U and Man C are guaranteed two of the top 4 spots, Chealsea and Arse will always be there or thereabouts as should we hopefully and then there will always be a poocastle or liverpool eeach season which will have a good year. So anything between 3rd and 6th is realistic; below 6th is unacceptable.

However where within that spectrum we finish and, more importantly, how we progress really depends on what happends from a manager perspective this summer. I dont see us progressing from here with Harry in charge as the real top teams have established systems/formations which build on their decent players and those sytems help them over-run teams. With Harry, its always hard not to feel that you're a bad season from it all going pear-shaped as there's zero building for the future. In order to be in the best shape in 2 years, I would therefore like to see Harry leave this summer, whether to England or otherwise, and then a manager come in who can build something over 5-10 years. With that guy, in 2 years we'd be in a position where we're showing real potential and have a system/philosophy in place and look like we have a future

@Spursalot

I was gutted when we blew that lead. Absolutely. It was a disgrace to be honest.

BUT, no one is secure in any position as early as February. Thats a little over half a season, and while we expected higher due to our brilliant start to the season, that didnt actually change the target the club set itself. We expected higher, and rightly so, but 4th was/is the goal, and its lunacy to claim reaching that goal would be a failure.

We may not get 4th, and thats a whole other ball game, but there are people who claim that 4th and a cup would STILL not make up for missing out on 3rd.

I wonder what their expectations are for 2yrs down the road then? The Double??

Last edited:
As someone else said, min of top 6 given that Man U and Man C are guaranteed two of the top 4 spots, Chealsea and Arse will always be there or thereabouts as should we hopefully and then there will always be a poocastle or liverpool eeach season which will have a good year. So anything between 3rd and 6th is realistic; below 6th is unacceptable.

However where within that spectrum we finish and, more importantly, how we progress really depends on what happends from a manager perspective this summer. I dont see us progressing from here with Harry in charge as the real top teams have established systems/formations which build on their decent players and those sytems help them over-run teams. With Harry, its always hard not to feel that you're a bad season from it all going pear-shaped as there's zero building for the future. In order to be in the best shape in 2 years, I would therefore like to see Harry leave this summer, whether to England or otherwise, and then a manager come in who can build something over 5-10 years. With that guy, in 2 years we'd be in a position where we're showing real potential and have a system/philosophy in place and look like we have a future

Im not sure what you mean. A top 6 finish is fine....as long as its not Harry. Harry must get 3rd or higher?

Expect to have the team/club make me believe they are doing everything in their power to succeed and are trying their hardest at all times.

I expect to not have the feeling of loads of stones unturned...

Not fair Totman, so far as I can see people changed their expectations based upon a half a season of top performances. Not a few weeks.

At the begining of the season i thought we would finish 3rd or 4th and was hoping to have a good run in Europe, i never thought for one minute either at the begining of the season or during our winning run we had a chance of the title.

What i hope to see over the next two years is progress towards being able to compete for the title, however this means we have to find a manager who can not only motivate players, but also have the tactical ability to over take the teams above us.

Not fair Totman, so far as I can see people changed their expectations based upon a half a season of top performances. Not a few weeks.

Fair enough.

But whats not fair in my opinion, is people doubting we would make 4th pre season, as they feared all the teams around us had improved ten fold what we had, but then, 4 months later demanding higher than 4th.

And two months after that, claiming 4th and the FA Cup (yes, some people have) would be a failure, and the manager should be sacked.

Changing your expectations instead of sticking to a target gets this kind of hysteria, and its crazy. If we exceed our expectations, its a bonus. If we meet them, its not a failure.

What i hope to see over the next two years is progress towards being able to compete for the title, however this means we have to find a manager who can not only motivate players, but also have the tactical ability to over take the teams above us.

This

I disagree, if you exceed expectations you should raise the bar to your new potential. Not be satisfied with a near total collapse because it would have suited your requirements 6 months prior...

But we didnt manage to exceed our expectations, by finishing 3rd in February. How could we? There was still half a season left.

Back