• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

we turned down 10m offer for Gylfi last night

All over the icelandic media, could not find a thread for this.

Find it a bit staggering that if we did not have the funds for Leandro last night, why on earth did we reject 10m for a player that has not been up to his own standard and clearly finding it hard to get in the 1st eleven.

I like Gylfi though, great character and a fantastic footballer that can show us a lot more than he has

I don't think it's a question of not having the money for Leandro. I think it's more a case of not concurring with Internacional's valuation of Leandro.

Edit: oops, just seen that galeforce has already made that point. Carry on.

Last edited:
Wow. Who would have thought 24 hours ago that this sub-forum would become the place for sensible, post-window discussion.

14+FFP+PL+Distribution+2014.jpg

I always go Swiss :p

http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Tottenham Hotspur

60m for finishing bottom is mental.

Agree. We have an additional 40-50 mill on the way from the new TV deal shortly which we could have borrowed against if need be. The decision has been made to prioritise capital expenditure over player for now. Or at least high priced player acquisitions.

This appears to be the case. Not sure how long it has been the case but I suspect a couple of years and probably will remain the case for a few more years yet. Only when we get a Modric recoup (which might be a Bale recoup in the summer depending on whether we make top four) can we spend anything decent on replacements.

By and large our squad is good. Still need to offload some of the dead wood (Jenas was a good start this transfer window). I know Gomes has gone (on loan to Hoffenheim) but having so many keepers is madness.

This appears to be the case. Not sure how long it has been the case but I suspect a couple of years and probably will remain the case for a few more years yet. Only when we get a Modric recoup (which might be a Bale recoup in the summer depending on whether we make top four) can we spend anything decent on replacements.

By and large our squad is good. Still need to offload some of the dead wood (Jenas was a good start this transfer window). I know Gomes has gone (on loan to Hoffenheim) but having so many keepers is madness.

We have Friedel and Lloris. That's it. Beyond that, we have to start relying on youth players.

As for your first point, again, it's understandable, but goes against Levy's long held assurances that the stadium would not affect transfer spending. And I fail to see the point of re-investing what we receive for the likes of Bale and Modric, and no more. Surely we would be a better team if we bought someone to complement them, instead of to replace them?

In the end, it comes down to taking risks; a club like ours, sensibly managed, cannot afford to take too many of them. Yet we can't afford to take absolutely no risks either; that would stifle innovation, and see us slide backwards even as our vaunted stadium goes up. We have a good, young manager, who is tactically astute and capable of implementing a system of play that will outlast his tenure, if put into effect properly. Much like Mourinho and his legendarily direct counter-attacking style at Chelsea, which lasted all the way to the CL final last year. I genuinely believe AVB can do that, if given the backing.

However, if the only way he can get Damiao is if we sell Bale, and the only way we can get Moutinho is if we sell Dembele or Sandro, then we're not backing him at all. We're hindering his ability to help the club. And why that is the case, when we apparently haven't spent even the entire fees we received in the summer (if the Telegraph is any indicator)......it's just disheartening.

I'll probably re-evaluate Levy's actions in a few weeks and come to different conclusions, but right now, with three draws and a loss in our last four games, it's a bit difficult to do so.

As for Gylfi, he's one of the last players we should consider selling. His talent is undoubted, he just needs confidence.

I do believe him, it's consistent with the way we have always worked

we seem to walk away from deals (both in and out) every window because the numbers are not right

do you believe him though?

Why wouldn't AVB think this? He knows he hasn't got an unlimited budget, therefore would impact on other future targets if overspend on one player.

Believe it or not on occassions some managers are capable of telling the truth....

so you believe him too?

Of course we will probably never know for sure, but it seems perfectly reasonable to me.

- The transfer window is closed for now, not much reason to be lying about it now.
- I think AVB has a very good idea about how good Damiao is. Seems to me at least somewhat likely that he and Levy would have discussed what kind of price range would they should be looking at for Damiao, and what would be too much.
- There were almost bound to be other, easy, outs if he wanted to lie about something like this. He could very easily just pulled an old Reknapp classic out of the hat and said that the chairman was working on it and that he doesn't know the details.

He has essentially gone out of his way to show that he agrees with the chairman, if he was tinkled off about this why would he do that?

Back