• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

We have finally found Van Der Vaart's best position

Rafa and Gallas are MASSIVE for us right now, and they have to be. They are the two big-game experience/winners in our side, and as such, they need to be blue chip and on the pitch. Gallas was immense again yesterday, and Rafa looks a rejuvenated force and yes, a few lbs lighter for sure...

Rafa and Gallas are MASSIVE for us right now, and they have to be. They are the two big-game experience/winners in our side, and as such, they need to be blue chip and on the pitch. Gallas was immense again yesterday, and Rafa looks a rejuvenated force and yes, a few lbs lighter for sure...

This. They've got something we desperately need; the winning mentality. Parker's arrival's helped, but these two are crucial to fostering that in our squad imo. We're miles better than we were a few seasons ago when it comes to mental toughness and the will to win, but we're still somewhat fragile. Playing these two is vital if we want to overcome that.

And then we can line up from the games after that with our academy lads because everyone's picked up a twang.

Nah, squad rotation is key, and I'm glad Harry is finally grasping the point. We have enough good players to win both games if we put the effort in.

But you play your strongest 11.

Players could get a twang against Norwich....do we rest them for the next game? Sunderland is the ONLY game we should be thinking about, and that means playing our strongest team.

Depending on twangs or supsensions or otherwise from that game, we then do the same for Norwich.

VDV doesn't even play that often on the right. I swear his record there last season was something like 8 goals in 6 games as well.

Yeah, my impression from the games he played there is that we are slightly more vulnerable but have so much threat going forwards it hardly matters. I think people have turned against it because of that one Ramsey goal this season when he was nowhere to be seen. Even though we were the better, solider side over 90 minutes.

Do you have a stat showing his goals scored in those positions?

I remember him scoring a few from the right in the past, another goal against Swansea. I think he's quite good on the right, and a lot better now that his defensive work has improved a bit in the last 3-4 months.

Pace is obviously nice, and always a positive, but it's not absolutely necessarry.

...From an entirely central position...

But you play your strongest 11.

Players could get a twang against Norwich....do we rest them for the next game? Sunderland is the ONLY game we should be thinking about, and that means playing our strongest team.

Depending on twangs or supsensions or otherwise from that game, we then do the same for Norwich.

Hmm...but even if a player was fit for both games, wouldn;t the risk of him suffering a burnout-related injury increase exponentially if he played two games in succession in three days? Fine line to tread imo.

As is changing up over half the team in fear of what might happen, its a fine line indeed

Agreed, which is why the only players I really want to see being rotated are the ones most at risk of various muscle or fatigue related injuries. Gallas and King can rotate a CB spot between them, VdV and Lennon the right wing, and Parker and Livermore the holding role(s). Other than that, an unchanged side would be the ideal.

Do you have a stat showing his goals scored in those positions?

I remember him scoring a few from the right in the past, another goal against Swansea. I think he's quite good on the right, and a lot better now that his defensive work has improved a bit in the last 3-4 months.

Pace is obviously nice, and always a positive, but it's not absolutely necessarry.

Of his 9 league goals this season 6 have from him playing as a number 10: Wigan(a), Saudi Sportswashing Machine(a), 2 x Blackburn(a), QPR(h), Stoke(h).
3 have come from him playing out wide: Arsenal (h), Swansea (h), Swansea(a).

Last season's league stats
8 of his league goals came from playing as a number 10: 2 x Villa (h), Everton (h), Sunderland (h), 2 x Villa (a), Everton (a), Liverpool (a)
5 from playing out wide (4 of those were penalties!) : Wolves (h)(p), Arsenal (a)(p), Bolton (h)(p), 2 x Arsenal (h)(p)

Of his 9 league goals this season 6 have from him playing as a number 10: Wigan(a), Saudi Sportswashing Machine(a), 2 x Blackburn(a), QPR(h), Stoke(h).
3 have come from him playing out wide: Arsenal (h), Swansea (h), Swansea(a).

Last season's league stats
8 of his league goals came from playing as a number 10: 2 x Villa (h), Everton (h), Sunderland (h), 2 x Villa (a), Everton (a), Liverpool (a)
5 from playing out wide (4 of those were penalties!) : Wolves (h)(p), Arsenal (a)(p), Bolton (h)(p), 2 x Arsenal (h)(p)

And how many games did he play in each? I'd guess that he played a lot more as number 10 than out wide in both seasons.

And how many games did he play in each? I'd guess that he played a lot more as number 10 than out wide in both seasons.

Its a pain in the arse stat to work out as some games he is moved and has ended up playing in both positions. The only way to do it justice is minutes played in both positions.

Agreed, which is why the only players I really want to see being rotated are the ones most at risk of various muscle or fatigue related injuries. Gallas and King can rotate a CB spot between them, VdV and Lennon the right wing, and Parker and Livermore the holding role(s). Other than that, an unchanged side would be the ideal.

Parker should start every game that he is eligible for, our record when he starts is far better than when he doesn't

Back