• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

We have finally found Van Der Vaart's best position

SUIYHA

Scott Parker
RWF. It seems so obvious now.

We played him in central midfield in a 4-4-2 and he didn't do enough defensive work. We played him on the wing in a 4-4-2 and he drifted into the middle and left the side unbalanced and exposed down the wing (also he didn't have enough pace). We played him up front and he kept dropping too deep, leaving the main striker isolated. Rafa's ball playing ability has never been in doubt, but the conundrum has been finding a position for him that doesn't unbalance the side and also gets the best out of him. I think we've finally found it.

I think Rafa has been arguably our best player over the last 3 games. Not only does it look like he's finally started practising corners in training, he's showing off some excellent passing and vision too. Granted, he missed sitters in the Chelsea and Bolton games, but then he produced a top quality finish yesterday to end our poor run of form. We have created a lot of chances in these games, many of them coming from Rafa.

What's changed? His position. As a right wing forward, he is able to cut in on his favoured left foot and deliver the goods. He also stays up the pitch in attacking positions and doesn't need to worry so much about his defensive duties. As a wing forward, it also doesn't matter if he drifts inside so much as there's an extra DM to cover for him on the right hand side if he does. In fact, it can work in our favour when he drifts inside as we have an extra striker in the box to get on the end of Bale or whoever's crosses. Finally, we've found a home for him and it's been reflected in the huge number of chances we've created in the last 3 games since we've been playing him there in a 4-3-3.

The only problem now is, having seen what a big difference Lennon can make, do we keep him in this formation against Sunderland? Or bring Lennon back to the right wing?

Good point - he has looked very good and he hasn't unbalanced the side even though he's playing from a wide right position.
I think we have to perhaps rotate Rafa and Lennon over the run-in. Lennon is just coming back from injury so VdV gets the staring berth at the mo. We also play 2 games in 48 hours over Easter so you'd want to play one of them Saturday and then the other on Monday perhaps.

Also in games where we expect to dominate I would still play VdV off Ade with Sandro dropping out and Lennon coming in.

Worked his balls off against Bolton, he is the key to the way we want to play, I would play Rafa in the hole and Lennon wide right especially in home games.

Seriously, he reminded me of Michael Laudrup playing inside left for FC Barcelona about 20 years ago.

I still think his best position is just playing inside with Modric and Parker backing him. Lennon should always play and it should probably be at the expense of Sandro.

Did a whole lot of work pressing last night too.

Surely his best work has still been when he has been just off Ade? Especially when Bale and Lennon play it opens up all sorts of space for Rafa.

It's not just about the position he's played in- Just as crucial is the fact he is obviously a LOT fitter than he has been in the past....

He's not quick anymore, sure he's got a quick turn and a low point of gravity like Modric, but he can't outrun a whole lot of fullbacks :eek:

I blame Sylvie. She's worn him out.

Back