• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Vincent Janssen

As much as I saw from Lamela during his first season at Spurs, it would be foolhardy to right the kid off just yet

Maybe you are too young to remember Bergkamp's first 6 months at the Goons,

Wish that were the case!

I'm actually not a fan of the Bergkamp references. I pluralise reference as it seems every time a player doesn't hit the ground running we hear calls of "What about Bergkamp?"

I think its pretty optimistic nowadays to expect any player to do a 'Bergkamp'. Just the same as with the Fergie comparisons when Moyes and Van Gaal were around. Football has changed and you don't get that time nowadays (especially at bigger clubs). Also with Jansen playing 2nd fiddle mostly I cant see how he is going to get much game time to improve. An impact type of player may have been a better signing.

And lastly, my thoughts further up were mainly regarding what I've seen regarding his skill set. You cant surely think he is going to add pace for example? I like the guy's attitude I just think he is a little below the quality required. Hopefully I am proved wrong!

Wish that were the case!

I'm actually not a fan of the Bergkamp references. I pluralise reference as it seems every time a player doesn't hit the ground running we hear calls of "What about Bergkamp?"

I think its pretty optimistic nowadays to expect any player to do a 'Bergkamp'. Just the same as with the Fergie comparisons when Moyes and Van Gaal were around. Football has changed and you don't get that time nowadays (especially at bigger clubs). Also with Jansen playing 2nd fiddle mostly I cant see how he is going to get much game time to improve. An impact type of player may have been a better signing.

Forget about Bergkamp then, how about comparing him to Lamela who was written off on this forum during his first season. If you have written the kid off after so few games them it simply shows how profoundly short sighted you are

Lamela and Janssen are polar opposites, one is all about touch and one is all about strength.

I think rather then the style of player they are i think Naija was meaning about both players who have moved from abroad being written off before they had a chance to settle.

I think rather then the style of player they are i think Naija was meaning about both players who have moved from abroad being written off before they had a chance to settle.

Was chatting with a big Swansea fan online who was at the game, he was talking to director at Swansea who fancy Janssen but will not pay much above £10m.
Gave me the Siggy transfer info way ahead of it coming out in the press!

Was chatting with a big Swansea fan online who was at the game, he was talking to director at Swansea who fancy Janssen but will not pay much above £10m.
Look who they got instead... I'd rather have Janssen than three Llorentes!

I would happily keep him another season or two after this given what we saw with Lamela. Even with a third striker in the ranks, he would still get games and seems to have big potential.

Look who they got instead... I'd rather have Janssen than three Llorentes!

I would happily keep him another season or two after this given what we saw with Lamela. Even with a third striker in the ranks, he would still get games and seems to have big potential.

I don't see him going in Jan........

janssen is good as a third striker. hardworking and puts in a shift. not too bad at getting into good positions but so soldado-ish, it makes me wonder if greater forces are at work.

Forget about Bergkamp then, how about comparing him to Lamela who was written off on this forum during his first season. If you have written the kid off after so few games them it simply shows how profoundly short sighted you are

I thought Lamela had good technical ability, which we saw in non-prem games, and he was carrying an injury if my memory serves me correctly.

I think you're missing my point anyway, I'm not saying I'm writing VJ off. I just suspect his skill set might not be strong enough for the prem and I dont see him getting enough game time to improve upon it. Do you think the last bit is fair to assume? Lamela continually got game time through the dry spells and then came good. I'm struggling to see VJ getting the same opportunity.

Interesting, however i do not see that happening for several reasons. Least of all Bradley is a long ball merchant and he would want his CF to be like Llorente. Hopeless on the deck but good in the air.

Interesting, however i do not see that happening for several reasons. Least of all Bradley is a long ball merchant and he would want his CF to be like Llorente. Hopeless on the deck but good in the air.

I don't see it happening as why we would even contemplate selling him

He has been here 4 months

I agree. Bradley will be gone by xmas at this rate though!
Was reading that our games was the most one sided for some time or other
The guy I was talking to was not a happy swan.

I agree. Bradley will be gone by xmas at this rate though!
Was reading that our games was the most one sided for some time or other
The guy I was talking to was not a happy swan.

I do feel sorry for the Swan fans who since they have got into the Prem have always tried to play good football, unfortuately the American owners have décided to move away from that, another team who looks like new owners are taking them down again.

I think you're missing my point anyway, I'm not saying I'm writing VJ off. I just suspect his skill set might not be strong enough for the prem and I dont see him getting enough game time to improve upon it. Do you think the last bit is fair to assume? Lamela continually got game time through the dry spells and then came good. I'm struggling to see VJ getting the same opportunity.

On the contrary I am not missing your point, I just think you are taking a short sighted view in making on the player so early into his career. I think I would have to wait at least a season before I make a decision on his skill set, especially a 22 year old. Remember even in Holland he started very slowly and was still able to score a shed load of goals, and you can add to that his tally of 4 goals in 9 matches at international level

well when Lamela first came on for us i didnt see the 30 million pound player at the time, i didnt think we bought a 30 million pound player. I think after 3 years his development has brought him much closer to the Mark.

Janssen is another guy that i feel we maybe paid too much for but learning from the Lamela i'll give him his 3 years.

only thing is ... should i wait 3 years before he contributes to what could be a VERY short window for us challenging for the league titles??

well when Lamela first came on for us i didnt see the 30 million pound player at the time, i didnt think we bought a 30 million pound player. I think after 3 years his development has brought him much closer to the Mark.

Janssen is another guy that i feel we maybe paid too much for but learning from the Lamela i'll give him his 3 years.

only thing is ... should i wait 3 years before he contributes to what could be a VERY short window for us challenging for the league titles??

With all respect forwards carry a massive premium and the price we paid was very representative of the current market for a player who was top scorer in his league and is currently 1 in 2 at international level

I'd fully expect him to hit the ground running next season and wouldn't be surprised to see an upturn in the new year

And lamella now would comfortably get his transfer fee back (just look at sissoko and bollassies fees)

I get a feeling that a lot of people watching football just for the purpose of being alllowed to complain about something. They need a channel for venting their frustration about life and society, and football will help them.

I think you're right. And in more ways than you mention too!

I'm a pretty mellow guy, I barely ever get excited about anything, except for when Spurs play. I can shout loudly, jump up and down, taunt fans of other teams, scream my lungs out when we score, and get insanely excited if we win or score in important matches. I don't think anything else in life really touches it when it comes to the emotions it stirs to life (perhaps with the exception of sex). Out there in the civil world you couldn't get two fudges out of me.

Football is definitely a vehicle for emotions. :)

---

Back to the topic - I firmly believe Janssen will adapt in due time. He's had a slow start. As soon as he gets used to the tempo, he'll start banging them in. Did any of you ever see Kane when he played for Leicester and Norwich? He didn't exactly look sharp.

Back