• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Vincent Janssen

It's a penalty, but so were the couple of situations we had when Janssen and Kane were held back just as much. Unlucky for Janssen to not get away with what defenders all over the league get away with week in week out. Needs to be a bit more cynical perhaps and make it less visible to the ref.

Can't fault his effort. Good control and strike for the rebound that led to the Winks goal. But he needs to put a few chances away to build his confidence I think.

When he was side by side with Kane in 1st half it didn't really work at all IMO. When Kane dropped deeper in the 2nd it was far more effective. I wouldn't write this partnership off just yet as the team didn't really perform that well overall.

This for me as well, i have said before that i see a good partnership ( imo) between him and Kane which will benefit us as a team. However not as we played in the first half with them alongside each other, the second half we looked far more dangerous with that tweak.

I think if we use Janssen and Kane we need to setup something like this:

1532277_Football_Manager_Team.jpg

Need Son as he is one player who can get in behind meaning the defence cant push up leaving no space for Kane or Janssen to operate in and we pretty much get what we saw in the first half, too easy to defend against. Can argue to Dele/Winks instead of one of Wanyama or Dier if we want to be more adventurous.

Regardless of tactics, he wasn't good enough in the first half yesterday, even his effort was a bit off. Looked to me like Poch might have given him a rocket at half-time (I daresay a few others too), coz he came out and "phuckin run about a bit" as HR might say.

many moons ago, I used to get by at racetracks wanting horses canter down to the start, to the uninitiated, some horses only run "well" on a particular type of ground. Why I mention this is that I've been watching "VJ" closely and he is one of the most ungainly footballers I've ever seen, he has a very awkward gait and has little to no pace and he doesn't make up for that with technique a la edward sheringham. Yes, He can hold the ball up but the giving away of the pen summed up his footballing naivety, he's rarely in the best place a centre forward should be and hence, hasn't scored any goals apart from pens. He wouldn't have won the penalty Son got, He just doesn't belong at this level.

Gary Lineker has come out and said this guy is trying to make Soldado look a good signing. I think VJ was a bad purchase for Spurs. Sometimes this sort of thing happens. What is bad is if we dont accept the truth because we dont like it. For a club that has had the likes of Defoe, Berbatov, Keane, Kane, Sheringham, Klinsmann, Greaves et al - Janssen sucks. Mido had a better first season and he got more stick than VJ. VJ makes me pine for Adebayor to play in Spurs' colours.

I think if we use Janssen and Kane we need to setup something like this:

1532277_Football_Manager_Team.jpg

Need Son as he is one player who can get in behind meaning the defence cant push up leaving no space for Kane or Janssen to operate in and we pretty much get what we saw in the first half, too easy to defend against. Can argue to Dele/Winks instead of one of Wanyama or Dier if we want to be more adventurous.

Why change our formation to suit a player like Janssen. There is no Alli, Erikson, Lamela in that line-up. Who is going to link the attack and midfield?

ahhh .. good to see Spurs fans never learn ...

Janssen may or may not turn out to be a good/bad signing, the only sure thing is we don't know now. Don't know how many Dembele, Lamela, Son, etc examples we need to show that in the PL, especially with a player from another league, in Poch's system, the first season can't be judged.

I personally don't think Janssen/Kane is a good option, Son or Dele rotating around either of them seems a lot more dynamic.

Gary Lineker has come out and said this guy is trying to make Soldado look a good signing. I think VJ was a bad purchase for Spurs. Sometimes this sort of thing happens. What is bad is if we dont accept the truth because we dont like it. For a club that has had the likes of Defoe, Berbatov, Keane, Kane, Sheringham, Klinsmann, Greaves et al - Janssen sucks. Mido had a better first season and he got more stick than VJ. VJ makes me pine for Adebayor to play in Spurs' colours.
Lineker is a clown.
VJ had a better game than harry yesterday, but a Harry got a tap in and a pen.
Not saying VJ is better than harry but it's way to early to write off a striker especially one playing in front of our misfiring midfield.

Why change our formation to suit a player like Janssen. There is no Alli, Erikson, Lamela in that line-up. Who is going to link the attack and midfield?

I love Erikson but for whatever reason he hasn't been up to speed. As I also said could play only one of dier/wanyama for Deli and Lamela is injured. I'm not suggesting we do change our formation, however by playing 2 strikers we are doing just that and for that to work we have to have pace up front to give some freedom to the two strikers and space as they don't have the speed to scare defenders allowing them to compress the space between defence and midfield and play a higher line. I cant be the only one who sees that surely?

Son is the only one currently who can penetrate behind a defence so surely must play alongside Janssen and Kane when we play the two.

If you get away with them the vast majority of the time the risk might be perfectly acceptable. Several defenders I can think of that have been doing this regularly and barely ever been punished for it.

up until this summers rule change that would have been considered good defending

He is just 22 so after Lamela's first season I will give him at least a season before I write him off. I am old enough to remember that Dennis Bergkamp in his first season scored just 5 (4 in the league and 1 in the FA Cup) goals for the Goons and went on to become a Gooner legend so I think it is way too premature to consign him to the dustbin just yet. In fact Bergkamp had to wait until January before he got his 3rd goal for the Goons

He is just 22 so after Lamela's first season I will give him at least a season before I write him off. I am old enough to remember that Dennis Bergkamp in his first season scored just 5 (4 in the league and 1 in the FA Cup) goals for the Goons and went on to become a Gooner legend so I think it is way too premature to consign him to the dustbin just yet. In fact Bergkamp had to wait until January before he got his 3rd goal for the Goons

How dare you bring in a world class player as a reference point to giving someone time, tut, tut

I'd even refer to the fact it toook him half a season last season to find his feet making the step up but again that would be a bit too much for some

Lineker is a clown.
VJ had a better game than harry yesterday, but a Harry got a tap in and a pen.
Not saying VJ is better than harry but it's way to early to write off a striker especially one playing in front of our misfiring midfield.

Harry has an off-day and scores twice. VJ apparently plays better, doesn't score and gives a penalty away.

I mean give VJ time, I'm all for that. But don't just dismiss goals as a contribution to a game, they are pretty important.

If a goalkeeper doesn't do much all game but then makes 2 saves near the end, he's done his job. Down the other end, we need SOMEONE to put the thing in the net and by not phucking up, Harry won us the game. He just happens to make that part of the game look easy, thank GHod.

Back