• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Vincent Janssen

Lamela and Janssen are polar opposites, one is all about touch and one is all about strength.
Lamela's touch looked pretty poor in his first couple of seasons here IMO.

I wouldn't really like to judge any young player coming in from a foreign league until they had at least year at the club. Although I do reserve the right to do so for players who are so bad that it is almost comedy - i.e. Vlad Chiriches.

The thing I still find interesting is people look at him as a hold up striker which is clearly not how he played in Holland and doesn't play like that for his country either

I agree he has shown excellent skills holding the ball up but I'm sure there is a lot lot more to his game

I thought Lamela had good technical ability, which we saw in non-prem games, and he was carrying an injury if my memory serves me correctly.

I think you're missing my point anyway, I'm not saying I'm writing VJ off. I just suspect his skill set might not be strong enough for the prem and I dont see him getting enough game time to improve upon it. Do you think the last bit is fair to assume? Lamela continually got game time through the dry spells and then came good. I'm struggling to see VJ getting the same opportunity.

His skill set seems a fine fit for the PL and more importantly a very good fit for our team.

His overall play apart from goal scoring has been absolutely fine. He just needs to stick the ball in the net. And goals for most strikers, particularly young strikers who haven't settled in yet, often come in streaks.

So, Janssen will miss the ManU and Hull games with injury ! He has not been very lucky since joining us. But I really think he works too hard for a striker. He should be working smarter instead. He should be trying to get into positions to score the tap-ins and rebounds like Kane has done recently.

I think Poch doesn't know what striker he needs for his system. Janssen ain't it. Kane has been found out. Janssen needs to realise that like for like won't work.

Rickie Lambert credited Pochettino with teaching him how to play as a lone striker.

I think Pochettino knows perfectly well what he needs and wants.

Looked like the ankle is slowing him down still.
Harry needs to be a 100% as he's no Bale athlete wise!

He had two centre backs do a number on him today. They were very good at their jobs and grid me he came too deep too often

He was also woeful for their goal

But I still wouldn't swap him for anyone

I said it when it was Janssen and I'll say it again, the problem isn't up top, it's what's behind him. He got one decent through ball today, turned his player and got chopped down.
Think about it 60% possession against a make shift back four, awful.

With all respect forwards carry a massive premium and the price we paid was very representative of the current market for a player who was top scorer in his league and is currently 1 in 2 at international level

I'd fully expect him to hit the ground running next season and wouldn't be surprised to see an upturn in the new year

And lamella now would comfortably get his transfer fee back (just look at sissoko and bollassies fees)

the sissoko and bolasie comparisons are good ones to be fair.

more sissoko i would imagine as some might value direct narrow minded impact players (bolasie) more than technical team players (lamela).

you have to wonder about us breaking the bank for sissoko.

the sissoko and bolasie comparisons are good ones to be fair.

more sissoko i would imagine as some might value direct narrow minded impact players (bolasie) more than technical team players (lamela).

you have to wonder about us breaking the bank for sissoko.[/QUOTE

The fees this summer were crazy full stop

Liverpool got the their money back on Benteke despite him flopping

Bollasie who had less assists and goals last season than Toby went for £30m

We brought sissoko for £30m

There were plenty of crazy deals

that was for me the craziest thing. we actually broke the record for this guy and i think we did it based on the euros

And also the fact that he tore us apart in at least 3 games when we played them

His euros were very good but people forget he has had some great games against us too

And also the fact that he tore us apart in at least 3 games when we played them

His euros were very good but people forget he has had some great games against us too

That was a bad old Tottenham policy - signing players who (only) played well against us.

I remember there being a few when we first got back into the UEFA cup - Gomes, trying for Marin, and others too but I forget who.

That was a bad old Tottenham policy - signing players who (only) played well against us.

I remember there being a few when we first got back into the UEFA cup - Gomes, trying for Marin, and others too but I forget who.

Gomes was a very good keeper when he signed but lost confidence over time due to some crazy decisions

Back