• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Vincent Janssen

A very good article profiling Janssen in some detail :
http://www.benefoot.net/vincent-van-goal-a-profile-of-tottenham-bound-striker-vincent-janssen/

The more I read, the more I like him.

"Janssen is a lot like Kane, to be fair, and likewise, a player that Pochettino may really like. As John van de Brom said, ”Every coach likes a Janssen-type player. He puts an incredible amount of energy into every game, is a real team player, two-footed, and scores. And perhaps most importantly, he always has both feet on the ground.”"

I'm sold.

From reddit:

He is without any doubt coming to you.

I have been following and writing about Dutch football and Eredivisie since 2003. I've learned to see who will succeed and who will fail abroad. Janssen (unlike Promes, that you were also looking at) is made for the Premier League. This is not a player that lives on utilizing mistakes, like Kezman or van Wolfswinkel and it is not someone who dominates through his superior technique like Afonso, or pure physical strengths like Luuk de Jong.

You might get the same reactions as when Liverpool signed Luis Suarez, "lololol is it the new Ryan Babel??? HUNTELAAR? AFONSO???". Its not. He might never become the same level as Suarez, but he is complete as a footballer which is what it takes to play in a PL top team.

He is a Kluivert, van Hooijdonk or Hasselbaink type of player. Powerful, can score both with his feet and in the air, great target player and most important of all, both according to PL standards and the wise teachings of Cruijff: Vincent Janssen does not need to be provided space, he will create it himself.

It is a phenomenal signing. This first season, he will be excellent as a "pinch-hitter" in your team, and since he shows exactly no signs of the pretty common Dutch complacency, I am certain that in a year he will be able to compete with Kane for the starting spot or force the manager to play with two forwards.

As someone who kind of likes Woolwich in the PL, it almost makes me sad seeing him get picked up by Spurs. Happy for AZ as well. They cannot afford not to sell him and with less competition they would have needed to accept a bid for half the sum. But £20m is still a bargain, there is a striker crisis going on in football as everyone wants be a winger or false nine and out of everything realistically available on the market, I see no better choice.

Heck of an endorsement.

index.php

I bet you are Danny...

@Gazzasrightboot - no, I personally didn't think Janssen was the answer, and I freely admit that. Personally, I thought we'd be looking a bit higher, but if Poch wants him, that's fine by me. I did and do, however, feel that this was probably as perfectly set up for us as it could be in terms of an early resolution - it's just a bit frustrating that despite that, we've wasted a valuable bit of time in securing him, although hopefully he's in the bag come Monday and that can be made up for.

As for AVB, yes, possibly he exaggerated the impact not getting the players he wanted had on the subsequent season, but it's still revealing enough by itself, and generally chimes with what other managers have said before him as well, so it isn't a one-off thing.

Is there any chance you could take moaning about past transfer windows to another thread @DubaiSpur? It get really boring when you plough over the same arguments in multiple threads every window.

Why? There was a discussion going on about whether Poch does or doesn't feel aggrieved by Janssen's delayed transfer - scara asserted that he probably doesn't, to which I replied that he definitely might if past events are any indicator.

One paragraph about the past precedents for such a thing out of a long post about Janssen and Poch's pre-season training regime hardly seems out of place, or even overly restating something that is still very relevant to the discussion at hand. Swiftly leaping in to ask me to stop every time I point out past precedents for something or the other (ranging from AVB to the January 2012 window, if memory serves), even when the majority of the post is about Janssen and Poch, not the past...I don't know, it just seems like actively, forcefully looking for something to be gnarled up about in a post which in the main discusses other things.

But hey, if it annoys, it annoys. Absolutely nothing's wrong with Janssen (hopefully) showing up a week and a bit into pre-season training despite not participating in the Euros, having no other major suitors actively wooing him, not asking for wages beyond our reach and not possessed of a transfer fee outside our ability to pay - our transfer policy's 100%, unquestionably fine and no one should doubt that. If anyone says differently, perhaps with reference to the past, there's apparently 'another thread' for it and it isn't wanted on the 'Vincent Janssen' thread. ;)

Heck of an endorsement.

Indeed. Makes me feel a bit more secure about him, given that (as I mentioned earlier) he doesn't seem like the type of player to possess a stand-out attribute that immediately draws attention as to how good he is. The lack of complacency, the ability to fashion chances for himself, the two-footedness - all good to know about.

From what I've read about him and seen of him, it seems that he's somewhat like Kane, apart from being about 3 inches shorter ie not blessed with real pace or trickery but a true goalscorer who gets goals from all kinds of positions. Interesting that we've signed someone similar, rather than someone different (eg Batshuayi) who would enable us to change the way we play

From what I've read about him and seen of him, it seems that he's somewhat like Kane, apart from being about 3 inches shorter ie not blessed with real pace or trickery but a true goalscorer who gets goals from all kinds of positions. Interesting that we've signed someone similar, rather than someone different (eg Batshuayi) who would enable us to change the way we play

I think Janssen has reasonable pace. Not a speed merchant, but he's got good movement and effective pace.

Like Kane he's not a player who was 'naturally gifted'. He wasn't necessarily destined for greatness. It wasn't obvious that he would make it. But like Kane, intelligence and hard work have propelled him to the top. On paper he is ideal for us.

Everything written about this lad makes him seem like the Dutch Harry Kane.

Good news.

Maybe because taking Kane of and bringing on a "different type" of striker would mean having to change other players as well as they all fit to a system. Having a like for like means we can rest Kane without disrupting the entire team.

Why? There was a discussion going on about whether Poch does or doesn't feel aggrieved by Janssen's delayed transfer - scara asserted that he probably doesn't, to which I replied that he definitely might if past events are any indicator.

One paragraph about the past precedents for such a thing out of a long post about Janssen and Poch's pre-season training regime hardly seems out of place, or even overly restating something that is still very relevant to the discussion at hand. Swiftly leaping in to ask me to stop every time I point out past precedents for something or the other (ranging from AVB to the January 2012 window, if memory serves), even when the majority of the post is about Janssen and Poch, not the past...I don't know, it just seems like actively, forcefully looking for something to be gnarled up about in a post which in the main discusses other things.

But hey, if it annoys, it annoys. Absolutely nothing's wrong with Janssen (hopefully) showing up a week and a bit into pre-season training despite not participating in the Euros, having no other major suitors actively wooing him, not asking for wages beyond our reach and not possessed of a transfer fee outside our ability to pay - our transfer policy's 100%, unquestionably fine and no one should doubt that. If anyone says differently, perhaps with reference to the past, there's apparently 'another thread' for it and it isn't wanted on the 'Vincent Janssen' thread. ;)

I am asking you nicely not to turn every thread into a rehash of every other transfer window thread that you have ever got involved in. If you think that you have a new point to make, then go ahead. If you are repeating points that you have made many times before, then maybe hold back.

I am asking you nicely not to turn every thread into a rehash of every other transfer window thread that you have ever got involved in. If you think that you have a new point to make, then go ahead. If you are repeating points that you have made many times before, then maybe hold back.
I quite enjoy the same posters never wavering from their deeply entrenched views, whether I agree with them or not.

Is making one point in one post 'turning a thread into a rehash'? Or maybe just someone warming to a favourite theme in the midst of other discussion?

In this case it seemed like there was legitimate use and call-back in a way that informed a current discussion and was relevant.

Maybe because taking Kane of and bringing on a "different type" of striker would mean having to change other players as well as they all fit to a system. Having a like for like means we can rest Kane without disrupting the entire team.

Both have strengths and weaknesses as options

Not changing the system is great if the system is working and as you say, means we can rest players

I think variety is key too and we lacked that last year. We would however have that too as we would be able to move Kane to 10 and still have a striker so it's all good

To be honest, this is beneath you. As with most things outside of personal morals, my opinion on how we're doing in transfer windows varies - from good in some windows, with praise for those involved (last summer, for instance) to terrible in others, with attendant criticism. In some cases, I see parallels to how we've done things in the past - in this case, I saw a potentially interesting angle relating to the relative valuation of pre-season training (in Poch's case) versus the right player (in AVB's), and how they bear similarities worth talking about, in my opinion. And I really do think you know all that.

But if, contrary to my past understanding of your position, you honestly do believe that all I do is rehash stuff without variation, then there's really little I can do, or even can be bothered to do when it comes to explaining that. I value my discussion with other posters here, and my only modest hope is that I can occasionally provide interesting viewpoints on things and gain their own insights in return, usually by turns funny, interesting, emotionally stirring or (sometimes) all three. To those who put up with me or find my posts interesting, thanks, buds. To those who genuinely think all I do is rehash things, sorry if it annoys you, ignore it if it gets too much, and ban me if it pleases you, because I can't really be bothered to clarify things endlessly anymore.

Last edited:
Keep fighting the good fight Dubai._.Your like a grandfather to me._.Telling me your views in a freeman esque voice whilst handing out the worthers originals._..What a lad! What matters to me is what player can we sign next who's name begins with V?? we must follow this groundbreaking new transfer policy! Vladimir Weiss anyone???? On a serious note I am as excited with this transfer! As excited as chich looking at the top row of magazines in a newsagent. Its wonderful to be back on here after a little break..Lets get this signing done and all sing cum by ya mlord.._man we have needed a striker since old t rex and his mates left this world after big meteor strike

Back