• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Victor Wanyama

I also wonder if they'd consider loaning Nabil to a big European club for a season. I would absolutely hate to sell him at such a young age and with so much promise, but I also wouldn't want him to spend another year out of the team. Tough call for Poch and co.

I also wonder if they'd consider loaning Nabil to a big European club for a season. I would absolutely hate to sell him at such a young age and with so much promise, but I also wouldn't want him to spend another year out of the team. Tough call for Poch and co.

if he's rated by Poch and the question marks over his attitude have been smoothed over then i think there's a place in the squad for him next season as Dembele's competition - he doesn't offer the exact same game as him but i think he has potential to prosper in the CM position next to the DM where he'll have less defensive responsibility and can focus more on getting forward and influencing our attacking game from deep.

Dier/Wanyama
Dembele/Bentaleb

In that scenario we wouldn't need to loan him out as i think he'd get enough game time here over the season to progress in his development

if he's rated by Poch and the question marks over his attitude have been smoothed over then i think there's a place in the squad for him next season as Dembele's competition - he doesn't offer the exact same game as him but i think he has potential to prosper in the CM position next to the DM where he'll have less defensive responsibility and can focus more on getting forward and influencing our attacking game from deep.

Dier/Wanyama
Dembele/Bentaleb

In that scenario we wouldn't need to loan him out as i think he'd get enough game time here over the season to progress in his development

Totally agree that he should be used next to a DM. And as Moussa is nearing 30 and has had injury problems throughout his career, I'd love to see Nabil in there over Mason for CM cover. That said, it does feel like Poch prefers Mason, which is frustrating as Nabil is four years younger and has so much more potential.

Totally agree that he should be used next to a DM. And as Moussa is nearing 30 and has had injury problems throughout his career, I'd love to see Nabil in there over Mason for CM cover. That said, it does feel like Poch prefers Mason, which is frustrating as Nabil is four years younger and has so much more potential.
Dembele is still only 28.

I can see Wanyama predominantly being cover for Dier, and possibly pushing into the team for cup matches. In the PL I can see him being brought on at the expense of an attacker to see matches out. Dier/Dembele/Wanyama would be a veritable wall of yid.

Edit: My bad. Dembele turned 29 yesterday.

Dier/Wanyama
Dembele/Bentaleb

Agree with that 100%. Bentaleb needs to play alongside a DM and if Poch can get his head right then he could be a star

I can see Wanyama predominantly being cover for Dier, and possibly pushing into the team for cup matches. In the PL I can see him being brought on at the expense of an attacker to see matches out. Dier/Dembele/Wanyama would be a veritable wall of yid.

Edit: My bad. Dembele turned 29 yesterday.

This will be a fantastic option for us - the main area we need to improve going in to next season is seeing games out when leading, we all know we threw a lot of points away that we shouldnt have last season and being able to play

Dier Wanyama
Dembele
as a midfield 3 in the final twenty minutes or so, imo, should see that dramatically improve

I can see Wanyama predominantly being cover for Dier, and possibly pushing into the team for cup matches.

I do not see it that way at all. Dembele misses the first 4 league games of the season. Now if Wanyama has an excellent pre season and then excels in those 4 games I do not see him automatically being dropped because Dembele is fit.

Besides if Dele Alli could work himself into the starting line up in the manner he did I am pretty sure Wanyama a player Poch knows very well an has been trying to sign since last summer will quite easily stay in the team "if" he proves himself good enough.

anyway, I am sure he will not mind playing in Champions League Cup games :)

I do not see it that way at all. Dembele misses the first 4 league games of the season. Now if Wanyama has an excellent pre season and then excels in those 4 games I do not see him automatically being dropped because Dembele is fit.

Besides if Dele Alli could work himself into the starting line up in the manner he did I am pretty sure Wanyama a player Poch knows very well an has been trying to sign since last summer will quite easily stay in the team "if" he proves himself good enough.

anyway, I am sure he will not mind playing in Champions League Cup games :)
Maybe, but I see Wanyama being too like Dier to be an effective partner for him. I like Wanyama but he's no Dembele.

Maybe, but I see Wanyama being too like Dier to be an effective partner for him. I like Wanyama but he's no Dembele.

The point I was trying to make is that I do not believe he will be signed as "backup" to Dier, more likely as competition, and for the record I think there is a big difference

The point I was trying to make is that I do not believe he will be signed as "backup" to Dier, more likely as competition, and for the record I think there is a big difference
I got your point but you did imply he was taking Dembele's place not Dier's, which I don't think is going to happen. Too similar. That was my point.

Two holding players may not work in our current setup but potentially with a shift in tactics it could work - afterall we changed things up between 14/15 and 15/16 in central midfield moving from a double pivot to a more traditional DM/CM setup

Could allow our full backs even more attacking responsibility if we had Dier dropping back and Wanyama screening

I got your point but you did imply he was taking Dembele's place not Dier's, which I don't think is going to happen. Too similar. That was my point.

Well Dembele was dumb enough to get him suspended for 4 games and if Wanyama starts ad puts in good performances I do not see Wanyama getting benched simply because Dembele is available. Anyway, it is nothing for me to worry about right now

Well Dembele was dumb enough to get him suspended for 4 games and if Wanyama starts ad puts in good performances I do not see Wanyama getting benched simply because Dembele is available. Anyway, it is nothing for me to worry about right now
Indeed, let's hope that we're playing so well Dembele can't get in the team, and for that matter Kane too, and Alli, the more we can give these players true competition, the better.

Quotes from Wanyama here - sounds very much like a done deal

Southampton midfielder Victor Wanyama is set to sign for Tottenham Hotspur in a lucrative deal for the Kenyan international.

Spurs beat Leicester City to Wanyama's signature and the highly rated defensive midfielder will put pen to paper on his new deal on Monday next week.

Wanyama was at Kamiti Maximum Prison in Nairobi on Saturday where he paid a courtesy call and spoke to inmates.

"I want to thank Southampton for the great opportunity they gave me to play in England. As footballers, we harbour ambitions and a move to Tottenham Hotspur will give me a chance to play in the Champions League."

Spurs tried to sign him at the start of last season but Southampton refused to relent with Wanyama going on to make 35 appearances for them.

Wanyama will depart Nairobi on Sunday for London where he is expected complete the move on Monday and re-join manager Mauricio Pochettino who signed him for the Saints three years ago.

He is expected back in Nairobi on Wednesday.

http://www.supersport.com/football/kenya/news/160618/Wanyama_to_complete_Spurs_move

Good player. Pleased with this if it goes through.

With Leicester mentioned as another potential destination that might point to Kante leaving maybe?

Last edited:
Not a signing that particularly excites me, but one that we need. I hope that he proves to be an astute purchase who gives us the ability ot push on.

Excited by this. Still think a Dembele backup is the real challenge for the recruitment team. He is a unique player.

Back