• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Victor Wanyama

I think you're being a tad unfair there! What we have recouped from those players, versus what we have got in terms of performances and value from Lamela, Eriksen and Chadli will probably show that they were not a waste and that actually we've made money on that £110m investment.

Oh, yeah, not arguing that at all. However, I'd put that down to Levy's sales practices, as opposed to their intrinsic value to the club (at least in the cases of the outgoing players); but, overall, when we end up selling Lamela, Eriksen and Chadli (as we undoubtedly will at some point), we'll probably close the book on the Magnificent Seven having significantly profited from the whole business in both transfer fees and performances (at least from the aforementioned three players), a fact which I never tire of reminding smug fans of other clubs about. :)

For every success you note that the crowd has noted, I bet I will be able to find one that they got completely wrong.

Oh, yeah, definitely. Like I said, I'm not saying the crowd is right all the time - it might even be that they're not even right the majority of the time, or even half the time. But @milo said that people should stop writing our players off given how many of them have turned their careers around under Poch, and my point was merely that they're right sometimes - certainly enough to at least be able to make the case for continuing that practice. :)

I would rather place faith in our club's assessment of a player rather than the fans. Especially when our club has Poch and Mitchell who I don't think have failed at all in the transfer market. In fact I would go as far as to say that they have been pretty savvy in the transfer market.

No, Mitchell's been pretty good so far, even if (if David Pleat is to be believed) his black box isn't by itself able to fully convince Levy to shell out for players without inputs from men like Pleat. Poch...eh, not so much; I'd give it a 66-33 success-failure ratio (purely arbitrary), given the existence of successes like Alli, Dier, Wanyama (at Soton) et al but also relative failures like Osvaldo at Southampton and Stambo and Fazio here. However, it probably isn't fair to judge him alone on the success of his transfers when he's usually worked under someone higher up who also had a hand in signing the players he ended up using (Cortese and Mitchell at Soton, Baldini here at first and now Mitchell again).

I don't know much about this guy. What type of player is he? Is he any good?

Fair play to Dortmund who seem to be getting some good, early transfer business done.

Don't know really.

Dortmund are just doing their Bale spending early re their £60m windfall for Aubameyang

Yeah Rode sounded like he'd have been a great player in Poch's system. Ah well, onwards and upwards.
It sound from a post earlier from @Finney Is Back that Wanyama is likely to be out back-up option if other preferred targets don't come fruition.
The fact that we have CL means we can approach thin gs like that from a stronger position than normal.

@nayenezgani can i ask you, who do you think in the PL resembled Rode's play the most?
Also, how does Rode compare in your opinion to Schniderlin, the Bender twins, Xhaka and Christophe Kramer?

@nayenezgani can i ask you, who do you think in the PL resembled Rode's play the most?Also, how does Rode compare in your opinion to Schniderlin, the Bender twins, Xhaka and Christophe Kramer?

I'm not claiming to be a Rode expert, however I'm not sure there's anyone in the EPL who currently matches him like for like.

From what I've seen I'd call him a hybrid of an in-form Schneiderlin and our own Eric Dier. He's got an eye for a pass, can split defenses apart and also possesses an aggression and hunger for the challenge that perhaps Schneiderlin does not.

I think technically he's far superior to Sven Bender and will possibly play alongside him. He's younger than Lars and he's more mobile than Kramer. He's the perfect central midfield player in my opinion and would have been usable in either Dier or Dembele's position.

It's a real shame that we missed out.

I'm not claiming to be a Rode expert, however I'm not sure there's anyone in the EPL who currently matches him like for like.

From what I've seen I'd call him a hybrid of an in-form Schneiderlin and our own Eric Dier. He's got an eye for a pass, can split defenses apart and also possesses an aggression and hunger for the challenge that perhaps Schneiderlin does not.

I think technically he's far superior to Sven Bender and will possibly play alongside him. He's younger than Lars and he's more mobile than Kramer. He's the perfect central midfield player in my opinion and would have been usable in either Dier or Dembele's position.

Looks like Wanyama it is then which I have said before is fine as Poch rates him.

If he is as good as people say, why did Bayern sell him? seems the perfect replacement for Alonso.

shouldn't that be Rode Scholar?

If he is as good as people say, why did Bayern sell him? seems the perfect replacement for Alonso.

Probably because they have Vidal, Martinez, Thiago and a young lad called Kimmich as cover for their midfield. Oh and a seemingly bottomless pot of money to buy replacements.

Looks like Wanyama it is then which I have said before is fine as Poch rates him.

Reportedly we targeted someone described to be not particularly Wanyama-like. So based on us not getting him the obvious answer is that we'll go for Wanyama?

Honestly if someone had asked me for an example of a player we should aim for ahead of Wanyama I wouldn't have known enough about Rode to suggest him. But I'm sure there are others out there we could potentially target that has more talent on the ball and more potential than Wanyama

Reportedly we targeted someone described to be not particularly Wanyama-like. So based on us not getting him the obvious answer is that we'll go for Wanyama?

Honestly if someone had asked me for an example of a player we should aim for ahead of Wanyama I wouldn't have known enough about Rode to suggest him. But I'm sure there are others out there we could potentially target that has more talent on the ball and more potential than Wanyama

But we spent the whole of last summer chasing Berahino, ultimately failed and ended up signing Son instead. Tbh I don't see many similarities between Son and Berahino.

Also what if we sign Janssen instead of Batshuayi after chasing Batshuayi forever. Where are the similarities between the two.

So if we end up with Wanayama instead of other targets who have more talent, skill and potential then it won't be that surprising.

Wanyama is the sort of player that could do a job for us. As most have said he maybe slightly limited in ability but remember Poch had him playing brilliantly at times.

I'm glad to hear that our scouts are actually watching players and not just chasing headliners.

Back