• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Victor Wanyama

Reportedly we targeted someone described to be not particularly Wanyama-like. So based on us not getting him the obvious answer is that we'll go for Wanyama?

Honestly if someone had asked me for an example of a player we should aim for ahead of Wanyama I wouldn't have known enough about Rode to suggest him. But I'm sure there are others out there we could potentially target that has more talent on the ball and more potential than Wanyama
Not sure what "not Wanyama like" means? Rode is described as a defensive midfielder by transfermkt.
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/sebastian-rode/profil/spieler/44466 and tough tackling in another report. He may be better than Wanyama but I don't see why he is not Wanyama like? You keep denying that Poch rates and more than likely wants Wanyama despite numerous reports linking us to him and he has signed him before at his previous club. You are right, there are better central defensive midfielders out there but as @indianspur explained above we don't seem to get our first and best choice very often while Wanyama should be obtainable and knows the premier league. The Wanyama link refuses to go away. I will come on here and remind you when he eventually does sign.

Not sure what "not Wanyama like" means? Rode is described as a defensive midfielder by transfermkt.
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/sebastian-rode/profil/spieler/44466 and tough tackling in another report. He may be better than Wanyama but I don't see why he is not Wanyama like? You keep denying that Poch rates and more than likely wants Wanyama despite numerous reports linking us to him and he has signed him before at his previous club. You are right, there are better central defensive midfielders out there but as @indianspur explained above we don't seem to get our first and best choice very often while Wanyama should be obtainable and knows the premier league. The Wanyama link refuses to go away. I will come on here and remind you when he eventually does sign.

Proper gauntlet thrown down there mate:D

Seeing as we DO have players from various leagues scouted out (as Rode proves) it wouldn't surprise me if we end up buying another unknown or even involving Dominic Ball before we buy Wanyama.
Of course we could just as easily buy Wanyama but it's clear from the attempt to buy Rode that Wanyama would be closer to a 'last resort if we don't get one of our preferred targets' type of transfer.

But we spent the whole of last summer chasing Berahino, ultimately failed and ended up signing Son instead. Tbh I don't see many similarities between Son and Berahino.

Also what if we sign Janssen instead of Batshuayi after chasing Batshuayi forever. Where are the similarities between the two.

So if we end up with Wanayama instead of other targets who have more talent, skill and potential then it won't be that surprising.
We didn't buy Son instead of Berahino. We bid for Berahino after we had already bought Son. So we were going for both. Meaning we might have been after both Rode and Wanyama.

Seeing as we DO have players from various leagues scouted out (as Rode proves) it wouldn't surprise me if we end up buying another unknown or even involving Dominic Ball before we buy Wanyama.
Of course we could just as easily buy Wanyama but it's clear from the attempt to buy Rode that Wanyama would be closer to a 'last resort if we don't get one of our preferred targets' type of transfer.
Not entirely sure that he is " last resort" mate or why he should be regarded as such. I think that is more likely wishful thinking on the part of posters who don't particularly like him. It is more likely that he is just one of a list of defensive midfielders we have identified. Dealing with his club though is probably not easy.

Not entirely sure that he is " last resort" mate or why he should be regarded as such. I think that is more likely wishful thinking on the part of posters who don't particularly like him. It is more likely that he is just one of a list of defensive midfielders we have identified. Dealing with his club though is probably not easy.

I think having to deal with Soton puts him down our list, plus whilst i like him and would be ok if he joined, he doesn't seem as good overall as other DLP/DMs we've been linked with in recent times, e.g. Rode, Schneiderlin

I can assure you that we were not seriously after Rode.

I have seen the player and he is extremely average - no way we wanted him over wanyama.

Maybe he was sounded out as a last resort for us should we not get our primary targets in that position.

I can assure you that he is simply using our name and the likely tentative enquiry to boost his profile.

It would be alarming if I am wrong here and we actually had rode as a primary target.

He will barely play for Dortmund imo.

Rode comment was based on what another poster said in this thread just before the quote you posted.

I'm not denying that Poch rates or wants Wanyama. Obviously I've not been able to make this fairly simple point. What I'm questioning is the conclusions people are making about how highly Poch rates Wanyama and how much he wants him at Spurs at this point. And if Wanyama is someone we want as one of our top targets for that position this summer or if Wanyama is more someone we would find a good signing if others don't materialize.

If he does eventually sign feel free to come on here and remind me. I will be perfectly ok with us signing Wanyama, though slightly underwhelmed. I will hope that he does well and that he improves in certain key areas to be a great signing for us. I can remember enough transfer windows and rumours "not going away" to know that his signing is no certainty at this point though.

I think he is the best of his type that we could possibly get.

Possibly but there maybe more out there but better. Good thing about wanyama is that he has prem and poch experience with the bonus of him being half price of the 20 odd rumored in the summer. If he fails you know Sunderland, West Bromwich, and the likes would buy him off us for more than we paid for him.

Great price if that's right. Sign him, flog Mason and Carroll and we have a balanced group of midfielders with more or less no net spend

I really find it amusing the way Spurs fans to seem to be so concerned about net spend

I presume you mean Kroos, and what makes you think Madrid wants to sell?

They obviously wouldn't and if they would then the price would be astronomical and dozens of team would be after him - I was being flippant. Your post above said you 'find it amusing the way Spurs fans to seem to be so concerned about net spend' - net spend dictates what we can do in the transfer market at the moment given we have a stadium to pay for, so there is no way which you can ignore it. That's life unfortunately. My reference to Kroos was equally flippant saying that if we can ignore reality (ie assume that we can spend unlimited amounts) then lets go and sign one of the best CMs in the world, rather than Wanyama.

They obviously wouldn't and if they would then the price would be astronomical and dozens of team would be after him - I was being flippant. Your post above said you 'find it amusing the way Spurs fans to seem to be so concerned about net spend' - net spend dictates what we can do in the transfer market at the moment given we have a stadium to pay for, so there is no way which you can ignore it. That's life unfortunately. My reference to Kroos was equally flippant saying that if we can ignore reality (ie assume that we can spend unlimited amounts) then lets go and sign one of the best CMs in the world, rather than Wanyama.

From my vantage point I have never assumed we can spend unlimited amounts of money on transfers and wages, however in the same vein I have always felt that new stadium not withstanding, we should be able to spend more than we sell. I do not believe every transfer window we should be adopting the attitude that if earn £30m from sales when we can only spend £30m from purchases. Maybe not £100m but definitely more than £30m :)

Otherwise I fear that despite our recent success we will be at a disadvantage in the long run.

reading through that page doesn't paint the author in the best light regarding info - would be happy for this to be correct though

Looks like this deal is getting close to done. I think for tough away CL matches and possible trips to Pep's City, United, and Chelsea (if they return to form), we could possibly line-up like this. Not the most attacking line-up, but such a strong team. Will be nice to have the option.

--------------Lloris------------
Walker--Vert---Ald-----Rose
---Wanyama----Dier--------
Lamela or Alli---Dembele---Eriksen
--------------Kane----------

Back