• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Turning backs on lap of honour?

Roy1983

Edward Sheringham
2 friends of mine have said that a few where they sit in the Park Lane have discussed turning their backs to the players during next weeks lap of honour ( Not that you can call it that )

Good idea? Surely applause for this seasons efforts would tell the players we're happy which we're not?

2 friends of mine have said that a few where they sit in the Park Lane have discussed turning their backs to the players during next weeks lap of honour ( Not that you can call it that )

Good idea? Surely applause for this seasons efforts would tell the players we're happy which we're not?

6th place, with 2 half-wits in charge this season, isn't a disgrace. I think it'd be best to support the players for now, and let them prove themselves once we have a manager who has a clue.

Agree with the DZA.

I think the players deserve some support for what has been a dereliction of duty towards them from all angles of the club. I think some could claim to have been sold a 'mickey'…hope they don't think that of course!

No, we support our colours and our players.

Fact is completely rudderless they have managed to get a decent position and points total. And it's easy to say they earn a lot of money, but their still human, need to be inspired, coached, driven to results, hardly something you can say was done effectively this season.

All things considered, Spurs did pretty well in 2013-14 despite all the setbacks.

The problem is that there was such very high expectations before the start of the season.

I get the sentiment but thnk this would portray us fans in an incredibly bad light and make us look like spoilt little kids. Success is relative to all teams and as unhappy as we are finishing 6th, ahead of Man Utd potentially, does not warrant such a reaction. I couldn't bare to observe the 'lap of honour' in 2003-4 when we just stayed up but this year is not the same.

Think we should look to fans of Man U, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Leeds, Birmingham, Coventry, Portsmouth before deciding if our situation is so bad.

By all means leave at the final whistle - there will be enough kids in the crowd who will want to stay regardless - but don't make a show by turning your backs and then going home to renew your season ticket - will make us cannon fodder for Adrian Durham!

I get the sentiment but thnk this would portray us fans in an incredibly bad light and make us look like spoilt little kids. Success is relative to all teams and as unhappy as we are finishing 6th, ahead of Man Utd potentially, does not warrant such a reaction. I couldn't bare to observe the 'lap of honour' in 2003-4 when we just stayed up but this year is not the same.

Think we should look to fans of Man U, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Leeds, Birmingham, Coventry, Portsmouth before deciding if our situation is so bad.

By all means leave at the final whistle - there will be enough kids in the crowd who will want to stay regardless - but don't make a show by turning your backs and then going home to renew your season ticket - will make us cannon fodder for Adrian Durham!

Good sensible post, especially the last paragraph, I think that is the way to go for those who dont want to show any appreciation. I'm still 50/50 on whether to leave or stay at the whistle

they've got some ****ing balls if they even attempt a lap of honour, this season has been an absolute disgrace

I think laying the blame at the feet of our two managers is a nice dodge for the players.
They simply haven't shown up in some games and losing 6-0, 5-0, 5-1, 4-0, 4-0 this season proves that point. Even yesterday - not men enough to stand in a wall and the let ball hit them.

In 2003/4 we had poor players and an ageing squad. This time the ability is there but they are very weak mentally. Giving them a round of applause is rewarding failure as far as I'm concerned. I won't be hanging around after the final whistle.

It's a macaronic idea.

The "lap of honour" isn't really a lap of honour at all. It's just an end of term, "farewell and see you in August". Happens every season, regardless of how well or badly we've done (and we've frequently done far worse). It's as much a chance for the players to thank the fans as it is vice versa. Perhaps the players should turn their backs on us, too, since the atmosphere has been worse than ****e this season?

If you don't want to stay to applaud the players and receive their applause, that's perfectly understandable and fine. Leave at the end of the game. Go to the pub. Go home. Do whatever it is that you would do normally. But to make some kind of spoilt, sulky gesture which is only going to further divide this club (when it desperately needs a sense of unity) is just cutting off your nose to spite your face.

That's assuming that a significant proportion of fans take part. The chances are, though, that hardly anyone will. And the few who do will not even be noticed. Or, at best, just look silly.

I believe a lot of the blame lies with our two managers, but why is it that West Ham, who are absolutely pony have recorded three, yes THREE, victories over our clearly vastly superior team?

It's because, we're West Ham's cup final, their players raise their game against us and our players just didn't have the fight or work rate to match them.

There are certain players that consistently let us down visibly on the pitch in terms of application, work rate, concentration, professionalism and attitude.

Paulinho is the biggest culprit closely followed by Vertonghen.

I've seen Spurs fans saying that Vertonghen is just frustrated and wants to leave - well Lloris could say the same if not more, but he's never been visibly as lethargic and pathetic as Vertonghen.

If I see Paulinho in a Spurs shirt next season I will be very angry - him and Adebayor ducking out the way for Wham's second yesterday was absolutely criminal. Ade at least has made a massive contribution, but what he did yesterday was typical of what Paulinho has delivered ALL SEASON. Pathetic display from a pathetic, s***, lazy player.

Yes, he is S*** because technique is only part of being a top professional and a winner and for me this guy will never be that, because he bottled his first stint in Europe and went crying back to Brazil, then his frigging wife had to talk him out of quitting football for GHod's sake, and now he's back in Europe again, but the guy is a coward and a bottler, he consistently shows this with his pathetic, invisible displays.

The guy is crap and we should get rid ASAP. Yes, I am massively angry.

I believe a lot of the blame lies with our two managers, but why is it that West Ham, who are absolutely pony have recorded three, yes THREE, victories over our clearly vastly superior team?

It's because, we're West Ham's cup final, their players raise their game against us and our players just didn't have the fight or work rate to match them.

There are certain players that consistently let us down visibly on the pitch in terms of application, work rate, concentration, professionalism and attitude.

Paulinho is the biggest culprit closely followed by Vertonghen.

I've seen Spurs fans saying that Vertonghen is just frustrated and wants to leave - well Lloris could say the same if not more, but he's never been visibly as lethargic and pathetic as Vertonghen.

If I see Paulinho in a Spurs shirt next season I will be very angry - him and Adebayor ducking out the way for Wham's second yesterday was absolutely criminal. Ade at least has made a massive contribution, but what he did yesterday was typical of what Paulinho has delivered ALL SEASON. Pathetic display from a pathetic, s***, lazy player.

Yes, he is S*** because technique is only part of being a top professional and a winner and for me this guy will never be that, because he bottled his first stint in Europe and went crying back to Brazil, then his frigging wife had to talk him out of quitting football for GHod's sake, and now he's back in Europe again, but the guy is a coward and a bottler, he consistently shows this with his pathetic, invisible displays.

The guy is crap and we should get rid ASAP. Yes, I am massively angry.

I couldn't agree more!

Would you not be turning your backs to players that have done their best and players that have done really well too?

Even perhaps a couple of players that you want to stay next season that might have offers from elsewhere come the transfer window?

This has been a very strange season. 66-69 points and 6th place isn't bad at all but if no one was keeping tally it sure as hell feels like we've had a terrible season. I guess the table doesn't tell you just how stodgy those wins have been on the whole and when you mix that in with embarrassment after embarrassment, it's no wonder we're left feeling so despondent. Turning our backs on the players though would be petty - perhaps we can just do it to Paulinho and Ade ;)

I think laying the blame at the feet of our two managers is a nice dodge for the players.
They simply haven't shown up in some games and losing 6-0, 5-0, 5-1, 4-0, 4-0 this season proves that point. Even yesterday - not men enough to stand in a wall and the let ball hit them.

In 2003/4 we had poor players and an ageing squad. This time the ability is there but they are very weak mentally. Giving them a round of applause is rewarding failure as far as I'm concerned. I won't be hanging around after the final whistle.

I agree. The season has been a car crash on and off the pitch and the players are just as much to blame as AVB and Sherwood.

Back