• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Turning backs on lap of honour?

It's a macaronic idea.

The "lap of honour" isn't really a lap of honour at all. It's just an end of term, "farewell and see you in August". Happens every season, regardless of how well or badly we've done (and we've frequently done far worse). It's as much a chance for the players to thank the fans as it is vice versa. Perhaps the players should turn their backs on us, too, since the atmosphere has been worse than ****e this season?

If you don't want to stay to applaud the players and receive their applause, that's perfectly understandable and fine. Leave at the end of the game. Go to the pub. Go home. Do whatever it is that you would do normally. But to make some kind of spoilt, sulky gesture which is only going to further divide this club (when it desperately needs a sense of unity) is just cutting off your nose to spite your face.

That's assuming that a significant proportion of fans take part. The chances are, though, that hardly anyone will. And the few who do will not even be noticed. Or, at best, just look silly.

I couldn't agree more

It's a macaronic idea.

The "lap of honour" isn't really a lap of honour at all. It's just an end of term, "farewell and see you in August". Happens every season, regardless of how well or badly we've done (and we've frequently done far worse). It's as much a chance for the players to thank the fans as it is vice versa. Perhaps the players should turn their backs on us, too, since the atmosphere has been worse than ****e this season?

If you don't want to stay to applaud the players and receive their applause, that's perfectly understandable and fine. Leave at the end of the game. Go to the pub. Go home. Do whatever it is that you would do normally. But to make some kind of spoilt, sulky gesture which is only going to further divide this club (when it desperately needs a sense of unity) is just cutting off your nose to spite your face.

That's assuming that a significant proportion of fans take part. The chances are, though, that hardly anyone will. And the few who do will not even be noticed. Or, at best, just look silly.

This! This! This!

I've frankly been ashamed of our support* at times this year and then these same ****s have the cheek to moan about players not putting in the effort. Try looking in the mirror, are you helping? Exactly!

**** off down the road!

*I only go to away games, where the support is supposed to be the best and most loyal (apparently)..........not this season!

Turning our backs on the players though would be petty - perhaps we can just do it to Paulinho and Ade ;)
A little half turn to face the guy stood next to you should do for those 2.

Agree with the general consensus that it's a silly idea.

Turning your back on the team, will make the players who tried think if they want to stay here, like Hugo and Erikson.

2 friends of mine have said that a few where they sit in the Park Lane have discussed turning their backs to the players during next weeks lap of honour ( Not that you can call it that )

Good idea? Surely applause for this seasons efforts would tell the players we're happy which we're not?

So you think it is a good idea to snub
a group of footballers playing in a team that lost its talisman, its one genuine world star; who was replaced by a spate of lesser calibre players with no experience of the Premier League,
a team again riddled with injuries;
who had to work through not only the sacking of one manager but worked under a lame duck replacement who foul-mouths most of them in the press, who is on borrowed time and more often than not has a non-existant grasp of tactics.

Yet they will - hopefully - qualify for the Europa League - an objective we used to only dream about...

And you want to turn your back on them.

Then we are p****d off when we are called FICKLE!!!

2 friends of mine who have season tickets yes. Not me you can see that if you read the OP.

Personally I'd just leave as mentioned already I don't think applauding the players for this season is acceptable next week.

I hope people do not do this as it shows a huge lack of class. By all means have a bitch about the team, results, manager etc but never turn your back on your own. We need to be behind the team in moments like this.

2 friends of mine have said that a few where they sit in the Park Lane have discussed turning their backs to the players during next weeks lap of honour

Depends what section they are in. If they are in the away part they can do what they want. Every other section is sold to "Tottenham Hotspur supporters".

Your post seems to suggest that they are season ticket holders and I've got to say the behaviour of some of those people, probably including these two, disgusts me.

I actually agreed with AVB when he criticised the home crowd earlier this season, these two prove what pricks you sometimes end up sitting next to.

What are your thoughts on this season?

My thoughts are that we will likely end up 5th or 6th, instead of 4th. Not that hard to fathom really, given that we threw in a rookie caretaker mid season, managing a host of young PL rookie players. And with Pool's emergence, I don't think we'd have finished 4th anyway. Even then, we were still in contention til the closing few weeks, and we should qualify for Europe again.

Last edited:
My thoughts are that we will likely end up 5th or 6th, instead of 4th. Not that hard to fathom really, given that we threw in a rookie caretaker mid season, managing a host of young PL rookie players. And with Pool's emergence, I don't think we'd have finished 4th anyway. Even then, we were still in contention til the closing few weeks, and we should qualify for Europe again.

Rookie? Hhmm. Interesting. It hasn't been a disaster despite the 4/5 hammering s this season!

Rookie? Hhmm. Interesting. It hasn't been a disaster despite the 4/5 hammering s this season!

Sherwood had never been a 1st team coach anywhere before at any club, much less in the PL. And many in this squad were young and new to the PL. What are you not understanding or disputing? And no, I don't think its been a 'disaster'. It would be, if we had finished outside the top 10, or bottom half, or relegated...all of which have happened to us in the past. If we finish outside the Top 6 next season (which I think is a very real possibility) what will you call it? Maybe I'm older than you, but I recall the days when qualifying for Europe was cause for mass celebration.

Last edited:
This has been a very strange season. 66-69 points and 6th place isn't bad at all but if no one was keeping tally it sure as hell feels like we've had a terrible season. I guess the table doesn't tell you just how stodgy those wins have been on the whole and when you mix that in with embarrassment after embarrassment, it's no wonder we're left feeling so despondent. Turning our backs on the players though would be petty - perhaps we can just do it to Paulinho and Ade ;)

Would that be the same Ade that with the exception of the last 3-5 games has pretty much been on fire, and the reason we finished as high as we did? :)

Lol glad I cant make this game now, I would almost take finishing in the bottom half again just to get rid of the stupid fanbase we seem to have picked up along the way. Not aimed at u Rossi btw, just generally speaking, who in the right minds turns your back on the players for a team finishing 6th in the prem, who sells its star player half way through pre season, has a managerial change, bloods in 7 new players and loses half its defence through injury for 60% of the season. Sometimes I really wonder..

5th is beyond us now, barring a miraculous swing in our goal difference relative to Everton's.

6th is probable but 7th still quite possible.

Sherwood had never been a 1st team coach anywhere before at any club, much less in the PL. And many in this squad were young and new to the PL. What are you not understanding or disputing? And no, I don't think its been a 'disaster'. It would be, if we had finished outside the top 10, or bottom half, or relegated...all of which have happened to us in the past. If we finish outside the Top 6 next season (which I think is a very real possibility) what will you call it? Maybe I'm older than you, but I recall the days when qualifying for Europe was cause for mass celebration.

Good debate and fair points firstly. I've not been on here much over the past few months due to discussion turning into certain idiots making idiotic comments (Me included at times being totally fair).

I've followed THFC week in week out since 1992 so I remember my fair share of ****.

I understand that the competition has got better and stronger. However, if Levy trusted TS back in December to guide us to anything but 4th then that was unacceptable. 4th must've been the target IMO. Now we've been 'ok' IMO but the heavy defeats still rankle (Admittedly mostly under AVB). I'm not judging TS on how he talks or the fact he wears a body warmer that a lot on here do. Ill judge him on results/performances and IMO results have been below par to par yet performances have been vastly below bar. Again IMO.

I don't think Levy trusted Sherwood to get 4th. If he did, he's a fool, especially this season with the emergence of Pool. How many young rookie managers in their first gig take over midseason and get 4th in the PL? It would be unprecedented, right? Obviously you HOPE to get 4th, but in this case I think it was more of a caretaker thing. In any event, Sherwood will be gone, so in the overall scheme of things he's not that big of a deal to me as far as the bigger picture goes.

If anyone wants to hurl abuse at the payers, remember there's an open training session at the Lane tomorrow.

The players should know realistically that they haven't been good enough this season. If they had any pride, they would be smarting from the hammerings for sure. I don't believe they haven't tried to rectify it, but the whole aura around the club stinks right now. And tbh in the last few games with the comedy show that is our managerial situation and Tim Sherwood, I think all the players are just counting down the days until we decide to suddenly decide to become a serious club again.

I mean if I were Dembele, Sandro, Capoue, Paulinho or even Bentaleb I would be thinking "is this guy on crack?" when reading the team sheet and seeing Chadli or Sig playing out of position ahead of them.

The season has become my favourite buttplug, and we've partly done well to have amassed as many points as we have.

Clap them. Say thanks, but give them that look of "do that again and I'll cut you". It'll be alright in the end.

Back